Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
kick off
kick off
H
Let me start by saying I believe the top of the SoCon is year in and year out stronger than the Big South. IMO, after that it is the old "on any given Sunday."

Yes Tammy has led WCU to 2 NCAA appearances. I believe the 1st was in her 1st year after the team had a bad season. Her 2nd was by winning a couple of games in the tournament on PK's after not having a great regular season. The difference in womens soccer at this level is one year a game you win 1-0 turns to a 0-1 loss the next. Still getting to the tournament is the goal. IMO, The SoCon has the ability to get more than one team in the NCAA's. The Big South will not.

As for Tammy being a better coach than Rohan...maybe. In his 4 years he won the reg season twice and lost in the tournament finals on PK's once and lost 2-1 with a handball in the box giving Radford a PK. It happens at this level. I think last year the 7/8 seeds played in the BS finals and most of the games were OT and PK's.

Last season WCU had 9 Srs on the roster who played significant minutes. CCU had lost their 2 all-time leading scorers and key subs. Tough to compare records and scores in soccer but looking at common opponents last year here is the break down:
Western: Coastal:
Gard Webb-Home 1-0 Home 2-0
UNC-A-Home 0-0 Away 2-0
Elon-Away 0-1 Away 0-1
App State-Home 1-0 Away 0-1

Point is just because you act as a "hard ass," or coach by intimidation, does not make you a better coach.

brace
brace
Headball - GOOD stuff. Lots of real thought. I like this.

Think about this: Give me a coach who is a "hard whatever" who trains their players to be tough due to the environment they are submitted to, and have players who accept that environment. Then, have that coach and their teams win most if not all of their games (80%+). Then, and only then, would I say that most players for that coach and most observers say that this coach was a better coach.

I am not comparing Tammy and the ex-coach at Coastal (don't know that coach). Just making points. It's what old people do.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Bob Cousy (he could play a little basketball) once said:

"Give me a starving, hungry, tough kid with equal talent against a well-fed, average kid any day and the starving, hungry, tough kid will win." I was a kid who was not starved, led a pretty comfortable life, but who learned early on that if I could learn to be tough and MAKE myself stay HUNGRY even when I am old, then things work out better.

I agree 100% with Bob Cousy's statement.

K
bench
bench
K
Just an FYI...soccer players don't lose any eligibility if they transfer as long as they're released from the institution. So, if any of the Coastal players leave, and let's assume at this point will be given a full release - then they can transfer without penalty. So, it's not as bad as it may seem if these players still want to play, but want to do it somewhere else because they don't agree with the new coach/philosophy.

K
bench
bench
K
Headball - you mentioned that Tammy's second championship came after "not having a great regular season". I checked on that and they were 10-1-1 in the regular season for the SoCon that year and beginning with a win over South Carolina the team only lost 3 of it's last 16 games. (one of those losses being to the eventual National Champions of UNC in the first round of the NCAA's) I don't know either of these coaches personally, but if that's your idea of a "not great regular season"...you want coaches to go undefeated?

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Wow, let's relax and let this woman do her job. Coaching changes are endless in college sports. This is mid-major women's soccer. The Big South gets one team in the NCAA Tournament who then goes and gets beat down by a Top 10, ACC program. It is what it is. But Tammy has been successful and the bad CCU players will quit or leave and the good CCU players will tough it out and compete. They will win the Big South in 2010.

L
Goal
Goal
L
"A standard practice last week consisted of 40 100 yard sprints, each to be completed in under 17 seconds with a 40 second break between each sprint. If a single player missed the 17 second time mark the whole team repeated that sprint. The team ended up running over 60 sprints that morning. Trash cans were placed on the field for when players got sick."

now i know why playing club soccer is on the rise.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C
I know Tammy D personally and she is an outstanding coach. She knows the game and is an excellent teacher of the game. I also know she is hardcore in her approach to coaching as she is with everything else in her life. If the players she has inherited don't like her approach, she won't have them long and will be better off without them. I like her "old school" approach as, imo, it brings out the best in players. If my youngest daughter(12) decides to and is good enough to play in college, I would want her playing for Tammy or someone just like her. At the end of the day they will be successful, have worked hard and know she had a coach that cared about her.

brace
brace
Ditto, Celtic.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Letme:

Sounds like another college coach I know of:

Anson Dorrence!

Sometimes a change in mentality and work ethic is needed to bring about change in results.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard