Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
brace
brace
Riverside has a premier-laden, state championship team returning. Top team with no challengers for #1 at the level they have obtained.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Riverside has a premier-laden, state championship team returning. Top team with no challengers for #1 at the level they have obtained.

I agree, the AAA crowd missed on a small window of opportunity last year with Riverside.

brace
brace
OH! Sorry for the misplaced jab I will leave it alone then, since the last time I got on the large school playing in the small bracket thing people got a little defensive

All in all I will admit that for in state play the Greenville area does have tha best overall quality from small to big and club. If the rest of the areas could get organized as well then perhaps they could give a better run for the money when it comes to in state play.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Competing in 4a and 3a doesn't come into the picture, it's how many club players you have on the team. Riverside would be a top team in 4a also. Next year they'll probably be one of the favorites in 4a because of what they have and the premier players they have coming in. If you have a 2a team with premier players and a 4a school with none, the 2a school wins everytime. If you have a 2a team loaded with freshman premier players and a 4a school that has alot of non premier senior players, the 2a school still wins. The other thing our non confernce schedule is one of the toughest in the state, we play Mauldin, Eastside,TL Hanna, JL Mann, Greenville, Dorman, Byrnes, Christ Church, Woodmont. Our conference schedule is weak except for Blue Ridge. Against Blue Ridge we have to get alot of play out of our starters. Against the rest of the league our starters play about 15 minutes.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Thanks everyone for all the imformation.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Yes I did! It sounded good for FMHS but you still ranked Clover at #1!?!?

I said Sandbagging because you called for CLover to win it and talked how good they would be this year, even about getting it done vs Fort Mill. I was meerly commenting on your ranking.

I should have broken the comment up after the sandbagging part. The reat is my comment on why I think FMHS will be #1 not #2. Clover is a good team but they lost one of thier better(if not thier best) players while FMHS did not "lose" any real contributiers. 1 non-starting senior can hardly be considered all significant loss.

Here's why I ranked Clover ahead of FM....it's time. The last 2 years they have waged 4 awesome games and FM has won them all. Have all 4 gone to PK's? At least 2 or 3 have. I just figure that the breaks will go to Clover for a change.

FM has a fabulous senior class with SEC bound Taylor Parker heading things up. But also Abbie McDonald...and a host of others. FM will be very good.

brace
brace
Looking at last year the strength of schedule was 22nd and they struggled against top tier (4A) teams. I would guess the not enough challenge for the starters will end with the move to 4A.

AS for the point on having premier players I somewhat agree but I also think that some times the number of club players over all is just as important as having a few premier players. Some kids never play premier, not available or various other reasons so they play challenge or even classic. I have seen premier teams challeged (and beaten) by challenge teams.
In fact I believe the Discoveries club boys team that won the national championship was only a "challenge" team and the core of that team is NWHS state champ team thus few "premier" players yet still tops in state.

brace
brace
You have me totally confused now! OK FMHS is good but it is time for Clover to catch a break? So you think Clover is number 1 because they are due? Not because they have a better returning team? I know they are good I saw them play FMHS, but they did'nt they lose thier best player? I know other will step up but FMHS did not lose thier best player thus they are likely going to be stronger and Clover is a little weaker until proven other wise. Either way they are the top 2 in the region and it will be fun to see the battle again.

U
throw in
throw in
U
I saw the strength of schedule thing and it's not close to being accurate. You can't have strength of schedule statistics unless the all of the regions play each other throughout the year, and that doesn't happen. The only clear and proven statistic is The State Championship participants which has been dominated by the upstate and the coast for several years. The Columbia area high school teams should get better with the recent Club changes in that area because the training their girls get at the club level will be more intense. My daughter has been playing premier soccer for 4 years and we've never lost or been challenged by a challenge team. Must be a different game on the boys side.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Hey Retired, I agree with your evaluation of our soccer to track coach! A good man and good friend, although I could kick his butt for a few decisions last year (for fun anyway). But hey, he is the coach! I am not involved with high school sports anymore but am watching what I can. I do think there will be a learning curve for our new coach. However, he has good talent and expect good things from SAHS and several key players. He doesn't have all CESA players and we are not an upstate or coastal school, but our girls play some CESA, some Columbia, some Arsenal and Georgia play, and should hang in most games anyway.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard