Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think both CLover and FM are very (and equally) talented teams. In head to head the breaks have gone FM's way the last 2 years. Just saying that at some point...you can't expect that to continue. Maybe this will be the year, maybe not.

Rachel was a very good player, not sure the best. Thats for other folks to argue. Can't argue that she was an excellent player tho.

Not sure the rest of your logic. They lost one real good player so they're weaker? They had several very strong freshman starters last year who presumably would be better this year. Several strong juniors, one of whom is being strongly recruited at the high D1 level. And a big group of seniors.

I agree that Fort Mill will be better this year. I just think CLover got better too and maybe its their year. Time will tell.

Why so concerned over 1 posting that gasp......had you ranked second in the region? Post your predictions and rationale.....

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Hey Retired, I agree with your evaluation of our soccer to track coach! A good man and good friend, although I could kick his butt for a few decisions last year (for fun anyway). But hey, he is the coach!

Hey, get in line!

Just to clarify, I gave up soccer as baby #2 was born. In December, the school asked if I would be the school sponsor for the coachless track team. They had volunteer coaches, but no one to drive the bus or do the paperwork. I said I would if my son could come out with me wherever I went.

I miss those girls (and my coaches), but nothing's better than walking around the track with my son as we count the kids that run by.

brace
brace
Not really "concerned" just wondering what you were trying to say? You praised on one hand but then ranked them below Clover on the other. The response is only because it is nice to "talk" with someone who follows both teams in our little corner of the state. Clover is the team I would root for, right after FMHS of course.

My ranking would match yours with the top two spots flipped. (big surprise there right?)

My reason for placing FMHS over Clover would also include the feeder programs as well. The JV and middle school teams feeding FMHS are much stonger. FMHS JV only had 1 8th grader last year and was stacked with 9th and 10th grade talent. There is a 9th graders this year who played middle school last year who has a real shot of making an impact at the varsity as a pure striker who fly's with the ball.
I would not say losing one really good player makes them weaker for certain, but since FMHS did not lose a really good player it would be logical to think them stronger. The defensive strength of FMHS will be the same if not better this year while I think the offensive fire power is likely to be upgraded.
Looking forward to the games!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Clover is the team I would root for, right after FMHS of course."

Not NaFo?

I don't rank FM #1 and you're all over me......yet you choose to pull for kids on the other side of the river instead of us? The same kids that Fm kids all grow up playing with at Springs or Tega Cay or Steele Creek?

jeez.....my view of fm and gold hill is going down as I type this. You'll make me a hater yet...

jk

brace
brace
NFHS is now the "cross town" rival! My kids have played club with more Clover kids (and still do) so I have a little more fondness in my heart for them.

I am not saying I would pull against NFHS and I know some great kids there. I have close ties to FMMS players and I guess as those girls get to the high school level my heart will change. I guess if I really have to look at it closely I would say for Clover I would pull for the Boys (my sons friends) and for girls it would be NFHS (more so next year when more of my daughters friends get there). I also think that over the next two to three years NFHS will be passing Clover, of course with the move to 3A that will mean less!

Last edited by The Chief; 01/25/10 04:19 PM.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Region 5 AAA
SA is the top team still (as far as talent as a whole)
BC will contend for the title (big group of solid seniors)
Dreher will be a solid side (young team overall last year)
Airport will be solid, but may struggle in the goal scoring department (coaching will win a lot of games).
Midland Valley - to early to tell.
Swansea - We will give it the old college try. One senior this year and young team with experience. I kind of see us being like Dreher last year. But, anything can happen.

brace
brace
Let me also add that with the new coach I think NFHS may surprise some people this year! (even more so next year when they get a handful of quality middle school player)!

Last edited by The Chief; 01/25/10 04:32 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...The only clear and proven statistic is The State Championship participants which has been dominated by the upstate and the coast for several years...

The upstate/coastal dominance is definitely true for 2A/1A where it's been Bishop England against an upstate team each of the past five years, but it has been more balanced than that for 4A and 3A. If you divide the state into Upstate, Midstate (including Rock Hill and Aiken) and Coastal areas, the distribution of 4A & 3A girls state championship participants over the past five years has been:

4A:
Coastal 4
Upstate 3
Midstate 3

3A:
Upstate 5
Midstate 3
Coastal 2

The Chief #128396 01/25/10 06:00 PM
Z
bench
bench
Z
You are right. The kids should stay local.
If the Columbia and Charleston players driving to Greenville would stay and play for the clubs they probably used to, these teams would be stronger and get stronger. There should be plenty of Upstate players to keep CESA strong. Just look at the high schools. High school soccer is very strong in the Upstate. These schools are full of local CESA players.

brace
brace
I will not argue that the strength of schedule thing may be a little skewed, statistics often are, but they can give a general picture. Mauldin had the #1 schedule and ended up tops in state while Byrnes was #2 and had a very rough year. I think it might show how tough a road you had to go down to get where you end up. If your schedule is weaker and you end up on top it is not your fault, but it warrants consideration when thinking about how you will compete against team whose schedules were much stronger. This coupled with performance against those team that also finished high gives a possible look what the future might hold.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard