Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#128348 01/19/10 02:31 PM
H
holtsc Offline OP
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
H
Any teams that are poised to have a great season? I.E. didn't graduate many seniors, standout players in the state on teams, etc...

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I think Irmo only lost 2 playing seniors. Haley Hutchens was a senior also but didn't play due to injury? I think they will be a team to watch this season-new coach but lots of talent.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Irmo had four seniors last season, two of whom were regular starters. They return 11 of their top 13 players from last year. As you said, they have a new coach, but Coach Herndon will have a solid group of experienced players to work with. Seven(maybe eight) of the returners played in the R3PL this past club season and three others played on a Challenge Cup finalist team that has qualified for R3PL in 2010. Two additional returners and two incoming freshmen played on solid Challenge League teams in the fall. Irmo should be expected to improve on last year's 14-6-2 record and top ten finish.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Rumor has it that Mauldin is supposed to be pretty decent.

D
Goal
Goal
D

Greenville in Region 2 AAA. Strong returning players, good depth and balance by position of premier and challenge players in the field and in goal. Several strong goal scorers. Will play in a very competitive region with Mann, Eastside and WHG for preparation of what could be a very deep run into playoffs. Would have to consider slight preseason pick to take their region. (Tough region order to predict at this point.)

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Region 2 AAA: Delta Dog, you did not mention Travelers Rest. They are good for some upsets this year, and I would not be surprised if they finished 2nd in their region. Great bunch of smart kids with excellent chemistry. Only very few did not play at least in the PMSL-league last fall. Good participation in pre-season conditioning. They really love their soccer year-round. Hats off to the enthusiasm the new coaching staff created there after the first year.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Wando only lost one starter.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Wando will be a force to be reckoned with...very strong group of girls.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Riverside won state last year in 3a with a sophmore filled team. Their all back!!! I'll put my money on them to repeat.

Q
throw in
throw in
Q
What did Irmo do last year that gives anyone a notion they will be good this year?

4A-Wando
3A-Mann

throw in
throw in
Coach P????

Nothing is Impossible
hat-trick
hat-trick
Don't know how good they will actually be this year, but, as I said, because of so much returning talent, I would think that "Irmo should be expected to improve on last year's 14-6-2 record and top ten finish."

I think they will be among the teams to watch, but at this point I think the question has to be: "Can anyone keep Wando and Mauldin from making it to a rematch at Memorial Stadium?"

L
throw in
throw in
L
In 3A keep your eye on South Aiken. They lost strong seniors but will have several very strong players returning at mid, keeper, and forward. A couple of the JV players moving up have the potential to be outstanding. I don't think they will make state but I could see them playing for lower state again.

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
With Dutch Fork losing so many seniors and Irmo having 3 of their 6 losses last year to Dutch Fork,I think that puts them in a strong position to win their region and who knows what else from there. As Coach P stated,they have a full team of Region 3 Premier team players playing and should do well..only time will tell.Should be some exciting soccer for those girls and their new coach.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Region 3 Predictions...

1. Clover
2. Fort Mill
3. Nation Ford
4. Northwestern
5. York
6. Gaffney

Big gap between top two and everyone else.

Fort Mill should continue their domination and end up the top team again. But Clover has kind of underperformed the last couple of years and I can't help but think this may be their year. Very deep group of seniors and a pretty talented group of sophs and juniors.

The battles between Fort Mill and Clover the last 2 years have been exceptional and will continue this year.

NaFo has a new coach and a good core of returning players and some strong young freshmen. They will be stout defensively. No doubts that Cesar will have NW ready to play and they could well move ahead of NaFo.

G
kick off
kick off
G
New to the area
On the stronger HS teams folks are talking about, how many of the seniors will be playinmg major D-1 soccer next year? what school has the most players playing major D-1 next year.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Vol dad
Im trying to get a feel for the quality of a good HS team in SC. Did any of the strong players you lost go on to play at the next level? if so, where?

B
throw in
throw in
B
Where are you exactly new from and where might your son or daughter play soccer?

G
kick off
kick off
G
Dallas, Texas
(daughter)
searching for club

B
throw in
throw in
B
If you are from Greenville, I think you already have your answer.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Not exactly
CESA Charlotte GSA etc.

B
throw in
throw in
B
Traveling all the way to Atlanta? WOW, that is a major committment. Depending on the age group, you are right.

brace
brace
Big Daddy! Sand bagging the Fort Mill girls? They also have a "decent" squad of seniors and maybe a little talent below that. The same girls from FMHS (only lost 1 non-starting senior) will likely get the same result againt the same girls from CHS, unless CHS bring up more new talent the FMHS does. Since the FMHS JV was something like 22-1 I am guessing they are the team bringing up the talent.

L
throw in
throw in
L
From the 2009 class we had three go D1, a Forward to Presbyterian, a Mid to UNC-Ashville, and a Keeper to Tennessee. Two other girls had a D1 opportunity and opted out of college soccer. Two more had D2 opportunities and opted out.

U
throw in
throw in
U
GETOVERIT, Save your gas money. You moved into the strongest area for Club and High School Soccer in SC. My daughter plays CESA premier and we play the top Charlotte and Atlanta clubs several times a year. We beat them, they beat us. There's no advantage to driving that far 4 days a week. CESA premier girls at every age level won state last year. All of the girls on her club team are being looked at by D1 colleges. I would say all of them will play D1 if they choose to. So join CESA and bring your wallet.
In regards to High School Girls Soccer, the strongest high school programs are in the upstate, with the exception of Wando that is in the Charleston area. Our high school won a HS state championship last year with a starting lineup of 2 freshman, 7 sophmores, 1 junior and 1 senior. Our team had 5 CESA premier players and the rest of the team was CESA Challenge players. The strong Club program reflects the strength of the High Schools in that area. If your daughter attends one of these schools:
Mauldin
Riverside
JL Mann
Eastside
Christ Church
there's a good chance she'll have a state championship on her resume before she graduates. The above schools are loaded with CESA "Premier" players. The strength of girls HS soccer in the state by region is as follows.
1. The Upstate
2. Charleston area
3. Columbia area
4. Aiken, N. Augusta area
5. Rock Hill area
Hope this helps.I'm a transplant also, welcome to SC.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Big Daddy! Sand bagging the Fort Mill girls? They also have a "decent" squad of seniors and maybe a little talent below that. The same girls from FMHS (only lost 1 non-starting senior) will likely get the same result againt the same girls from CHS, unless CHS bring up more new talent the FMHS does. Since the FMHS JV was something like 22-1 I am guessing they are the team bringing up the talent.

Did you read the post? Sandbagging?

brace
brace
Yes I did! It sounded good for FMHS but you still ranked Clover at #1!?!?

I said Sandbagging because you called for CLover to win it and talked how good they would be this year, even about getting it done vs Fort Mill. I was meerly commenting on your ranking.

I should have broken the comment up after the sandbagging part. The reat is my comment on why I think FMHS will be #1 not #2. Clover is a good team but they lost one of thier better(if not thier best) players while FMHS did not "lose" any real contributiers. 1 non-starting senior can hardly be considered all significant loss.

brace
brace
I have to agree with the basic message, stay local because the program there is solid. Nothing would be gained by driving farther if you live close to CESA then play with them!
There are lots of issues in this state between clubs and CESA but I am not a CESA hater. They seem to be doing what is best for thier club and kids, I am not sure if it is best for the state program as a whole but that is for those with more knowledge to argue about!
What I would comment on though is the ranking and the strongest program comment. You seem to be forgetting that tiny FMHS pushed you to the limit in the upstate final. The "Rock Hill" area is a mess club wise so I can not dispute that they lack when it comes to club play, but you have to remember that most quality players(not all) in that area play for Charlotte area clubs. If you look at the Elite Clubs National League for Girls standings (supposedly the highest club level girls can play at) you will notice that in every age group the Charlotte team is ranking higher that the CESA team.

goal
goal
Chief,
I think Unclebuck was talking about the line up at at Riverside not Mauldin.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
brace
brace
Quote:

From the 2009 class we had three go D1, a Forward to Presbyterian, a Mid to UNC-Ashville, and a Keeper to Tennessee. Two other girls had a D1 opportunity and opted out of college soccer. Two more had D2 opportunities and opted out.

Lost one of the best coaches in the state to track. Interesting to watch the student take over for the teacher. Sometimes even better, but I would expect a slight learning curve versus last year's runnerup finish.

Would never bet against South Aiken, though.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Riverside has a premier-laden, state championship team returning. Top team with no challengers for #1 at the level they have obtained.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Riverside has a premier-laden, state championship team returning. Top team with no challengers for #1 at the level they have obtained.

I agree, the AAA crowd missed on a small window of opportunity last year with Riverside.

brace
brace
OH! Sorry for the misplaced jab I will leave it alone then, since the last time I got on the large school playing in the small bracket thing people got a little defensive

All in all I will admit that for in state play the Greenville area does have tha best overall quality from small to big and club. If the rest of the areas could get organized as well then perhaps they could give a better run for the money when it comes to in state play.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Competing in 4a and 3a doesn't come into the picture, it's how many club players you have on the team. Riverside would be a top team in 4a also. Next year they'll probably be one of the favorites in 4a because of what they have and the premier players they have coming in. If you have a 2a team with premier players and a 4a school with none, the 2a school wins everytime. If you have a 2a team loaded with freshman premier players and a 4a school that has alot of non premier senior players, the 2a school still wins. The other thing our non confernce schedule is one of the toughest in the state, we play Mauldin, Eastside,TL Hanna, JL Mann, Greenville, Dorman, Byrnes, Christ Church, Woodmont. Our conference schedule is weak except for Blue Ridge. Against Blue Ridge we have to get alot of play out of our starters. Against the rest of the league our starters play about 15 minutes.

G
kick off
kick off
G
Thanks everyone for all the imformation.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Yes I did! It sounded good for FMHS but you still ranked Clover at #1!?!?

I said Sandbagging because you called for CLover to win it and talked how good they would be this year, even about getting it done vs Fort Mill. I was meerly commenting on your ranking.

I should have broken the comment up after the sandbagging part. The reat is my comment on why I think FMHS will be #1 not #2. Clover is a good team but they lost one of thier better(if not thier best) players while FMHS did not "lose" any real contributiers. 1 non-starting senior can hardly be considered all significant loss.

Here's why I ranked Clover ahead of FM....it's time. The last 2 years they have waged 4 awesome games and FM has won them all. Have all 4 gone to PK's? At least 2 or 3 have. I just figure that the breaks will go to Clover for a change.

FM has a fabulous senior class with SEC bound Taylor Parker heading things up. But also Abbie McDonald...and a host of others. FM will be very good.

brace
brace
Looking at last year the strength of schedule was 22nd and they struggled against top tier (4A) teams. I would guess the not enough challenge for the starters will end with the move to 4A.

AS for the point on having premier players I somewhat agree but I also think that some times the number of club players over all is just as important as having a few premier players. Some kids never play premier, not available or various other reasons so they play challenge or even classic. I have seen premier teams challeged (and beaten) by challenge teams.
In fact I believe the Discoveries club boys team that won the national championship was only a "challenge" team and the core of that team is NWHS state champ team thus few "premier" players yet still tops in state.

brace
brace
You have me totally confused now! OK FMHS is good but it is time for Clover to catch a break? So you think Clover is number 1 because they are due? Not because they have a better returning team? I know they are good I saw them play FMHS, but they did'nt they lose thier best player? I know other will step up but FMHS did not lose thier best player thus they are likely going to be stronger and Clover is a little weaker until proven other wise. Either way they are the top 2 in the region and it will be fun to see the battle again.

U
throw in
throw in
U
I saw the strength of schedule thing and it's not close to being accurate. You can't have strength of schedule statistics unless the all of the regions play each other throughout the year, and that doesn't happen. The only clear and proven statistic is The State Championship participants which has been dominated by the upstate and the coast for several years. The Columbia area high school teams should get better with the recent Club changes in that area because the training their girls get at the club level will be more intense. My daughter has been playing premier soccer for 4 years and we've never lost or been challenged by a challenge team. Must be a different game on the boys side.

L
throw in
throw in
L
Hey Retired, I agree with your evaluation of our soccer to track coach! A good man and good friend, although I could kick his butt for a few decisions last year (for fun anyway). But hey, he is the coach! I am not involved with high school sports anymore but am watching what I can. I do think there will be a learning curve for our new coach. However, he has good talent and expect good things from SAHS and several key players. He doesn't have all CESA players and we are not an upstate or coastal school, but our girls play some CESA, some Columbia, some Arsenal and Georgia play, and should hang in most games anyway.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I think both CLover and FM are very (and equally) talented teams. In head to head the breaks have gone FM's way the last 2 years. Just saying that at some point...you can't expect that to continue. Maybe this will be the year, maybe not.

Rachel was a very good player, not sure the best. Thats for other folks to argue. Can't argue that she was an excellent player tho.

Not sure the rest of your logic. They lost one real good player so they're weaker? They had several very strong freshman starters last year who presumably would be better this year. Several strong juniors, one of whom is being strongly recruited at the high D1 level. And a big group of seniors.

I agree that Fort Mill will be better this year. I just think CLover got better too and maybe its their year. Time will tell.

Why so concerned over 1 posting that gasp......had you ranked second in the region? Post your predictions and rationale.....

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Hey Retired, I agree with your evaluation of our soccer to track coach! A good man and good friend, although I could kick his butt for a few decisions last year (for fun anyway). But hey, he is the coach!

Hey, get in line!

Just to clarify, I gave up soccer as baby #2 was born. In December, the school asked if I would be the school sponsor for the coachless track team. They had volunteer coaches, but no one to drive the bus or do the paperwork. I said I would if my son could come out with me wherever I went.

I miss those girls (and my coaches), but nothing's better than walking around the track with my son as we count the kids that run by.

brace
brace
Not really "concerned" just wondering what you were trying to say? You praised on one hand but then ranked them below Clover on the other. The response is only because it is nice to "talk" with someone who follows both teams in our little corner of the state. Clover is the team I would root for, right after FMHS of course.

My ranking would match yours with the top two spots flipped. (big surprise there right?)

My reason for placing FMHS over Clover would also include the feeder programs as well. The JV and middle school teams feeding FMHS are much stonger. FMHS JV only had 1 8th grader last year and was stacked with 9th and 10th grade talent. There is a 9th graders this year who played middle school last year who has a real shot of making an impact at the varsity as a pure striker who fly's with the ball.
I would not say losing one really good player makes them weaker for certain, but since FMHS did not lose a really good player it would be logical to think them stronger. The defensive strength of FMHS will be the same if not better this year while I think the offensive fire power is likely to be upgraded.
Looking forward to the games!

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
"Clover is the team I would root for, right after FMHS of course."

Not NaFo?

I don't rank FM #1 and you're all over me......yet you choose to pull for kids on the other side of the river instead of us? The same kids that Fm kids all grow up playing with at Springs or Tega Cay or Steele Creek?

jeez.....my view of fm and gold hill is going down as I type this. You'll make me a hater yet...

jk

brace
brace
NFHS is now the "cross town" rival! My kids have played club with more Clover kids (and still do) so I have a little more fondness in my heart for them.

I am not saying I would pull against NFHS and I know some great kids there. I have close ties to FMMS players and I guess as those girls get to the high school level my heart will change. I guess if I really have to look at it closely I would say for Clover I would pull for the Boys (my sons friends) and for girls it would be NFHS (more so next year when more of my daughters friends get there). I also think that over the next two to three years NFHS will be passing Clover, of course with the move to 3A that will mean less!

Last edited by The Chief; 01/25/10 04:19 PM.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Region 5 AAA
SA is the top team still (as far as talent as a whole)
BC will contend for the title (big group of solid seniors)
Dreher will be a solid side (young team overall last year)
Airport will be solid, but may struggle in the goal scoring department (coaching will win a lot of games).
Midland Valley - to early to tell.
Swansea - We will give it the old college try. One senior this year and young team with experience. I kind of see us being like Dreher last year. But, anything can happen.

brace
brace
Let me also add that with the new coach I think NFHS may surprise some people this year! (even more so next year when they get a handful of quality middle school player)!

Last edited by The Chief; 01/25/10 04:32 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

...The only clear and proven statistic is The State Championship participants which has been dominated by the upstate and the coast for several years...

The upstate/coastal dominance is definitely true for 2A/1A where it's been Bishop England against an upstate team each of the past five years, but it has been more balanced than that for 4A and 3A. If you divide the state into Upstate, Midstate (including Rock Hill and Aiken) and Coastal areas, the distribution of 4A & 3A girls state championship participants over the past five years has been:

4A:
Coastal 4
Upstate 3
Midstate 3

3A:
Upstate 5
Midstate 3
Coastal 2

The Chief #128396 01/25/10 06:00 PM
Z
bench
bench
Z
You are right. The kids should stay local.
If the Columbia and Charleston players driving to Greenville would stay and play for the clubs they probably used to, these teams would be stronger and get stronger. There should be plenty of Upstate players to keep CESA strong. Just look at the high schools. High school soccer is very strong in the Upstate. These schools are full of local CESA players.

brace
brace
I will not argue that the strength of schedule thing may be a little skewed, statistics often are, but they can give a general picture. Mauldin had the #1 schedule and ended up tops in state while Byrnes was #2 and had a very rough year. I think it might show how tough a road you had to go down to get where you end up. If your schedule is weaker and you end up on top it is not your fault, but it warrants consideration when thinking about how you will compete against team whose schedules were much stronger. This coupled with performance against those team that also finished high gives a possible look what the future might hold.

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
2A Region II- Woodruff

Had no seniors last year when losing in the upper-state finals.

I'm pretty sure there are only 3 or 4 seniors on this years team.

G
kick off
kick off
G
LadyVolDad
Very nice accomplishment by the S. Aiken girls you mentioned.

corner kick
corner kick
Hanna and Dorman are two teams that will remain strong this year. In fact, I don't think Dorman lost anyone from last years team.

Only time will tell
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

In fact I believe the Discoveries club boys team that won the national championship was only a "challenge" team and the core of that team is NWHS state champ team thus few "premier" players yet still tops in state.

I really can't remember a year of their existence that Discoveries did NOT play Premier League. But I agree with your point that a team deep in Challenge players can defeat a team with a few Premier players only.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Pinewood Prep

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

Pinewood Prep

Concur

C
throw in
throw in
C
They are returning a young but experienced squad from what I understand. Although they graduated a main part of their defense, they are still an offensive powerhouse with Angotti-Smith up top. Last year, they didn't have a very tough schedule at all, but this coming year, they will be matched up against Wando and BE which are lowcountry powerhouses, so those should be pretty good games to watch. This coming season should be a proving point to the Pinewood girls, to see if they can compete with some of the best teams. From what I believe, they were invited to the ESPN Rise tournament in either Kansas City or Oklahoma, I'm not sure where.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
That's a big hole to fill in the back..Still a strong squad but will probably give up a few more goals this season

C
throw in
throw in
C
Yes, agreed. But we shall see.

G
bench
bench
G
Even though its only AA, I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Bishop England, Waccamaw, and Christ Church yet. Waccamaw has the talent to win this year and quite honestly should win this year, but Bishop England seems to always win when it really matters. Will this be Waccamaw's year to get over the hurdle that is Bishop England, or will this year end just like the last 8 seasons have?

brace
brace
Christ Church has one of the best young coaches in the state, and a player who can take the team on her back and win everything.

Would never bet against Bishop England or Waccamaw.

That's what makes this great. Only one can win the last game.

G
kick off
kick off
G
ROH
Not knowing any players in the area yet, are there any other girls that can carry a team on her back like the Christ Church player you mentioned. I would like to catch some quality matches and players from the area.

corner kick
corner kick
GOI:
For quality early season girls' soccer, I would recommend seeing matches at The Viking Cup, March 5-7 at Spring Valley High School, then take in The Fort Mill Invitational at Manchester Meadows in Rock Hill March 19-21. Hard to go wrong at either venue.

Iced in up here. No school. First day of tryouts cancelled.

Doin' it the hard way...
brace
brace
There are several. I could probably list 15-20, but we play a lot of them and I don't want to really put up any bulletin board material! Send me a PM and I'll send you some thoughts.

brace
brace
Quote:

In 3A keep your eye on South Aiken. They lost strong seniors but will have several very strong players returning at mid, keeper, and forward. A couple of the JV players moving up have the potential to be outstanding. I don't think they will make state but I could see them playing for lower state again.

They won't be as Young this year. [Worked on that one all winter ]

brace
brace
Coach Ray Godwin at TR is a first class guy. As our team at Blue Ridge was beginning to build two years back, we beat them in a scrimmage. He has the class to talk to our entire team and tell them that "something had changed at Blue Ridge - that wasn't Blue Ridge soccer I was watching!" Made a HUGE impression on my young ladies, and probably won us about four games that year.

World class guy, whose daughter graduated and is playing at Erskine I believe, and he is still coaching. That's pretty cool in my book.

Oh, yeah, that love fest between World Cup and TR might be due to the coaching tandem at Foothills this summer and the success their teams had. Won State Challenge Cup I think. My kids love Coach Raimond and Coach Ray - and they should.

throw in
throw in
Agreed about Godwin and Hartmann - both are class individuals. I believe Godwin's daughter, even though she is attending Erskine, decided not to play soccer.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard