Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
brace
brace
Sorry, I forgot I might have to spell out that last connection...they love what they do because they actually have FUN doing it! (Quote from Coach Chass)

I believe, if I am correct, that Coach Chass has tried my infamous "Ice Cream Practice". After we accomplish something big, the next day we ONLY eat ice cream at practice and usually several kinds and all you want with sprinkles, etc. Michael Young tried it last year during playoffs and bubbled. The theory is that if all you do after you accomplish something is aim higher, push harder, never be satisfied, then most people will stop trying and quit having fun.

Sometimes in life, when you do something good, you should just reward yourself without any strings attached, without any additional goals, period. Reward yourself.

Ice cream always worked for me. And I have never had a kid complain.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Coach
C
This past club season it was popsicles and watermelon, courtesy of my assistant coach who works for USDA and appreciates the value of good produce. (He specializes in researching sweet potatoes, but we didn't think that would go over as well with the girls!)

The idea is the same...take a moment to celebrate and savor a job well done...THEN you stretch for the next rung in the ladder so you have something new to be proud of the next time.

ROH...I still haven't given up on that "sand soccer" game at Edisto!

I've got good news and bad news...
brace
brace
Me either.

C
Goal
Goal
C
ROH

Great advice As stated I hope to be having an " Ice Cream Party" with my players this season.

Thanks!

C
Coach
Coach
C
I also like the idea of letting THEM set the next goal, especially while at a high point of pride..."so, what do YOU want to do next?"

Better to guide them toward their goals than push them toward yours...I keep learning that.

corner kick
corner kick
Duuuude, I wish my coaches had done an "Ice Cream Party"! I would have been so motivated. Especially if you added chocolate.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Don't tell...but coaches enjoy kicking back with some ice cream now and then too.

Especially with chocolate.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Getoverit,
If you are looking for year round training and high level competition you might want to see if it is legal to play club in SC in the fall for a Region III team and then travel to GA for the spring. I think their state cup is in May? I would recommend that you attend high school soccer games in your area to see what best suits your daughter's needs. If she is interested in playing D1 then club and ODP are 2 very good options. Not all SC high schools have qualified soccer coaches for the girls' teams. Typically, the team that has the most Region III and SC Challenge club players tends to win. There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk. If your daughter wants to stay in shape, keep touches on the ball, and have fun with her friends and if there is quality coaching and training, then high school soccer can be a wonderful experience.

brace
brace
Quote:

I also like the idea of letting THEM set the next goal, especially while at a high point of pride..."so, what do YOU want to do next?"

Better to guide them toward their goals than push them toward yours...I keep learning that.

BINGO!!!!!!

When you get really, really old, and you look back on coaching/playing/sports experiences, here's what I learned:

My players are "brillianter" than me (will explain later). They come up with the stupidest, most childest, self centered goals/ideas I have ever seen, but...those are the expressions of someone who is TRYING to grow up and think for themselves. I learned that sometimes it is best to go with the dumb idea if it is really important to a child or assistant coach. Let them see it won't work. They won't try it again and they will learn from it. LEARNING is the key element in deciding whether teaching is working or not. You can't learn to make good decisions and set great goals without trying, failing, and learning what to do different.

When I am by myself, I do believe that I am brilliant. But with four children, a wife who constantly makes sure I don't get overly confident, and 40 teenagers I have no chance to really think that very often. That's why I always tell them they are "brillianter" (and I have a Masters in English too!).

GREAT post Chass - you got it right!

D
throw in
throw in
D
Observer
You brought up an issue that has bothered me since my son started school ball 2 years ago and my daughter last year: "There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk." I have asked the question "Why?". Is it the money? I and many parents will be glad to take up a collection to pay the third official if that's what it takes. Are there not enough "licensed" officials? Then open up the field to all referees of a certain level. Why does a HS ref have to be certified by the SCHL? Is is for the money? Or is it a matter of control? I know that SCHL rules for play are somewhat different than FIFA (never understood that one either?) Don't they (SCHL) care about the safety of the players? I may be wrong, but doesn't FIFA state that a ref may not officiate a match unless 3 officials are present for matches where players are above a certain age (U-10?)?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard