Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
throw in
throw in
D
Another thing while I am venting. I am so tired of the "turf Wars" between school coaches of different sports and between club versus school. My son and 4 other players on his club/hs team could not tryout for school soccer while if they were playing school basketball. And some of these guys were very good basketball players (AAU and all). They gave it up for soccer, They shouldn't have had to as long as they could keep their grades up. And don't try to talk to the football coach about soccer players trying out as kickers. If they have a conflict with their club team, forget it.
High School ball gets no respect from many club coaches. And in many respects they are right. The level of play, speed of play, level of coaching and safety are all issues at many high schools. But club coaches/parents must understand that school ball is different as far as the players are concerned. Playing for your school, mascot, lettering, the comradery of playing with schoolmates are all aspects that weigh heavy on the desire of athletes to play school ball. Many club coaches and parents do not understand or recognize this. On my daughter's JV team this year, one player's club coach from across the lake told her she couldn't play school ball. And another girls parents told her that she is an elite player (and she is) and is wasting her time playing school ball and will not let her play. Very sad.

goal
goal
I wish all parents would collect the money, if that happened at our school then we could have three refs at all matches if they are available.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This thread has taken a differnt turn but it still addresses what goes on between parents,coaches and players..
GETOVERIT started this thread wanting to get a feel for High school soccer in SC..He actually answered most of the questions himself in his first posts..Players play for fun..to be around friends and school pride in that order..
You want your child to have a great high school experience?
Let THEM have it..club coaches stay home and parents get involved..when asked to get involved..otherwise buy a ticket and enjoy the experience with them...In the bleachers!!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
GETOVERIT..
IF you want your child to play on the best school team available..History would dictate that you move into Mauldin's district or move down to the beach and go to Wando

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Observer
You brought up an issue that has bothered me since my son started school ball 2 years ago and my daughter last year: "There are usually only 2 officials for games which puts all players at risk." I have asked the question "Why?". Is it the money? I and many parents will be glad to take up a collection to pay the third official if that's what it takes. Are there not enough "licensed" officials? Then open up the field to all referees of a certain level. Why does a HS ref have to be certified by the SCHL? Is is for the money? Or is it a matter of control? I know that SCHL rules for play are somewhat different than FIFA (never understood that one either?) Don't they (SCHL) care about the safety of the players? I may be wrong, but doesn't FIFA state that a ref may not officiate a match unless 3 officials are present for matches where players are above a certain age (U-10?)?

High School sports are played under rules set by the National Federation of High Schools (NFHS). They set the rules for 16 high school sports, not just soccer. NFHS is not a member of USSF or FIFA.

The issue of 2 referees which is allowed under NFHS has been discussed on this board extensively almost every year since I have been registered. I have been a USSF referee for 15 years and high school for 8 years. I refused to do high school for 7 years because of the 2 man system. There is NO way to sufficiently cover the field with just 2 referees.

I still believe this is a money issue. The referee assigner in the Columbia district has offered for about 5 years now to assign 3 referees for any school that requests them. Not many request 3. Some ADs will pay for 3 referees for region games but that is all. About 3 years ago I was one of 3 referees doing a game in the Columbia area and the AD was present as the site adminstrator. I thanked him for having 3 referees and he said: "There weren't supposed to be 3. This is not a region game."

If you feel strongly about this, contact your school's AD and suggest (or insist) that they request 3 referees.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

But club coaches/parents must understand that school ball is different as far as the players are concerned. Playing for your school, mascot, lettering, the comradery of playing with schoolmates are all aspects that weigh heavy on the desire of athletes to play school ball. Many club coaches and parents do not understand or recognize this. On my daughter's JV team this year, one player's club coach from across the lake told her she couldn't play school ball. And another girls parents told her that she is an elite player (and she is) and is wasting her time playing school ball and will not let her play. Very sad.

The primary club season for U13/U14 in SC is in the spring. It's basically impossible for a U14 team to be competitive in the Region 3 Premier League if their players miss most of the practices because they have JV games on those nights. Maybe it's OK for less competitive club teams like those in PMSL, but not Premier or even the more competitive Challenge teams. When my daughter was in the 7th and 8th grades, the SCHSL would not allow them to play both club and high school simultaneously. She and all of her club teammates decided to play club instead of JV.

G
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
G
ROH
Let me start by saying I hope your daughter has had a full recovery and is ready to tear it up this HS season.
As far as me challenging your soccer knowledge nothing could be further from the truth. Why would I challenge your soccer knowledge when I have never met you before. I made a basic statement about soccer forums and implied nothing about your lack of soccer knowledge, if you took it that way I offer my apoligies. You said you had an "A" license right? Just Kidding.

G
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
G
Smallsodaman
The Achmed gig is soooooo old, tired and definitely not funny.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Getoverit...you make an excellent point...just why WOULD anyone challenge someone's soccer knowledge when they have never met that person before? Classic blunder, though...one person talks actual accomplishments, the other argues "license."

Just curious, though...since it obviously wasn't a personal statement on anyone (that would be silly), just what DID trigger the need to make a general statement on basic qualifications for soccer forums?

Oh, and if you think SSM's "Achmed" is bad, you should see my "Walter."

(Insert catch-phrase.)

I've got good news and bad news...
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Smallsodaman
The Achmed gig is soooooo old, tired and definitely not funny.

GETOVERIT
You probable right, it time for Achmed and SSM to retire. Achmed was developed to combat the evil empire Chapin, but over the years, through club and high school, Achmed has learned that Chapin isn’t so evil after all. And I have been doing this soooo…….hey wait a minute…I thought you were new to this blog. Registered 1/22/10. Holy Crap! Achmed change mind, not going to retire.
GETOVERIT….Bite me.
Over the years Achmed has pissed off a lot of bloggers on this site, bloggers that Achmed actually cares about their opinion. Why would I care about some supposed Texas hick’s opinion that cares more about his daughter’s win/loss record than putting his butt in the seat during her game? Hopefully Kitten’s message hit a note with you.
Well, Achmed gotta go, got to go talk to the coach about his son not getting enough play’n time.
Oh and btw Chapin….Achmed lied. I still not like you

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard