Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
How many clubs are started up because of disgruntled parents? Seems like alot of work..Disgruntled parents usually just move to another club..Truth is..there are disgruntled parents at EVERY club..Usually lazy and just wants to complain about everything..Does this sound like someone that going to put forth the effort of building a club because their not happy?

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
EVERY parent is disgruntled when their child falls short of making a team, starting, getting playing time, etc, etc, etc. EVERY parent...no exceptions! The ones who disagree and deny are 1) not telling the truth or 2) have a child who is a main player that hasn't faced that confrontation point yet. I guess we'll see in the following responses who falls under which category.

brace
brace
"I have been a disgruntled parent" (sounds like the start of a 12 step program, or a new thread)

I will admit to having been disgruntlled when my child was required to play a position they did not want. I understood the coach wanted to put the best chance of winning out there but, when you know your child can play the position they want better than the player in it, well it does tend to get frustrating.

My bigger pet peeve is when a club makes a team of players to place a team at a level when you can see they do not have enough quality players to field that team so you get rec players playing challenge/classic because the club wants a team at that level in that age bracket. I have seen this several times in several clubs.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Look around Greenville/Spartenburg - CESA, Furman, CFC, SAFC, USA, and to a lesser degree CASA (when they merged with Anderson). Even the Seneca group were probably a bunch of disgruntled parents with CASA. I am sure DSC loses kids to Charlotte clubs and/or disgruntled clubs that pop up around Charlotte. Not just a coastal thing.

It is being discussed as a bad thing, but if the kids are playing (assuming they have some decent coaches) and the parents are happy, why does SCYSA care?

brace
brace
Quote:

I am sure DSC loses kids to Charlotte clubs and/or disgruntled clubs that pop up around Charlotte. Not just a coastal thing.

You are quite right the club situation here has DSC, UPFC, CSSC, and others losing a lot of players (especially girls whose season matches NC girls school season) to the Charlotte clubs or leaving the area for CESA because no one can put together solid SC teams becasue the local talent is so split.

brace
brace
PEOPLE ACT IN THEIR OWN SELF INTERESTS.

One of the truisms I believe after 58 years on this earth, most involved in soccer. Parents are inherently interested in their own children first, and most do about anything to help their own child most. Makes them human. Some then start clubs, not necessarily because little Susie doesn't start but maybe because they are proactive and see that others will also get a chance. Must look at every individual situation.

I have seen parents show up unannounced, build goals, buy nets in Rochester, NY and put them up in Conrad, Iowa the day before opening games in a town of 1,000 people, send emails and letters to coaches thanking them, just do nice things because they are nice people. Most people do act in their own self interest, but some give and share and have real confidence in themselves that this is the right thing to do.

I hope we have a million clubs, a million interested and sharing parents, a million teams for girls and boys to play on, and a million memories. Put me in coach.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
A
throw in
throw in
A
Retired, Old and Happy.....well said.

Unfortunately the Club coaches and DOC's continually complain about the parents. Without the parents kids and money, they would not have a job or at least a paying job.
Successful clubs realize this and are able to incorporate it into their business plan. Because in the end this is a business.
It would be nice to see as many kids involved in soccer, at whatever level. For some it may be rec, others travel. Every child does not have to be on an ODP team to be "successful". Fact of the matter is a majority of ODP players will not get scholarships and if they do, what kind of school is it?? I've seen some kids get scholarships to schools that I would rather pay for my child to go somewhere else. And if they do go pro, they will not make any real money in MSL. In the end you have to ask does the trip justify the end. That answer will be different for everyone.

S
goal
goal
S
somehow i agree with every post on this thread, & i know its off track & this thread has been hijacked, yada, yada.

the parents are part of the problem & also responsible for the existence & success of the higher level teams. there are very few kids that want to sacrifice their childhood to practice 4 days a week, optional 5th in any sport & then spend weekends traveling to test their skill. it really does take a bit of brainwashing by parents to mold these kids into ball kicking freaks.
way back, i played 4 sports in a very large high school & never practiced the way club sport kids do today & never wanted to, nevermind the younger kids.
just that there are websites like this dedicated to adults talking about kids kicking a ball, scores, progress reports, injuries, coaching changes, etc etc might just clue us in that.... hey, we're nuts.
try explaining your superstars schedule to your parents who probably kicked you out of the house on weekends with the simple instructions to just go play.
i dunno, not a judgement on soccer, just a commentary/rambling? on yth sports of today vs the nostalgic view of simple yesteryear... & with full disclosure, i remain part of the problem.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

... etc etc might just clue us in that.... hey, we're nuts.
try explaining your superstars schedule to your parents who probably kicked you out of the house on weekends with the simple instructions to just go play.
i dunno, not a judgement on soccer, just a commentary/rambling? on yth sports of today vs the nostalgic view of simple yesteryear... & with full disclosure, i remain part of the problem.

Sandman, great post.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
The funny thing is our children are probably going to tell their children to get out of the house and go play and would never think of spending THAT kind of money to play a sport..

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard