Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
I was reading the President's meeting that took place on Jan.9th on the scys website.One of the topics that fell under rules..
1.Adhere to the present rule which requires new clubs must have a minimum of 100 players to form a club..otherwise new clubs will continue to form with disgruntled parents and coaches and just a few players being recruited from existing clubs..
Who decides who is disgruntled and who is not?

world cup
world cup
If you are the disgruntled owner of a Toyota, shouldn't you have the option of purchasing a vehicle from another automobile company?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Thank you!!
I live in an area where there are five or six clubs within a 30 mile radius but there are probably only two clubs that field teams in my child's age group..
I am not crazy about having alot of clubs with only a limited amount of members but I also don't want soccer to become monopolized where my child has no choice in where she plays..
Again who gets to decide who is disgruntled?
Maybe it's an issue for some that have no choice because the closest club is an hour away..If my child decided to play somewhere else next season..Does that make her disgruntled?

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 01/30/10 04:11 PM.
D
throw in
throw in
D
It is probably rooted in "good intentions", but there is a reason the smaller "clubs" pop up; travel distance, players/parents feel jilted by not making the big club's elite team, do not feel the coaching is up to snuff, etceteras, etceteras. Many of these are the same regardless of club size.

The smaller clubs will still exist as they just pay a bigger club to register their players/teams and then they will handle uniforms, coaches, bonds, and the rest. Just do not have a "home" field to play league games. Bigger clubs make a tidy sum for just registering and the smaller clubs still have their teams, logos, and independence.

D
Goal
Goal
D
CHT... I'm trying unsuccessfully to find the SCYSA meeting minutes to which you're referring. Can you provide a link?

My understanding was that clubs of less than 100 can register with SCYSA, but it required a vote of the Board for annual provisional status. And, as a club of less than 100 the club would not get a vote. From page 111 of the 2009 SCYSA Admin Handbook found at the SCYSA website...

--------------------------------------
"(3) A "Club" is an organization that is a member of SC Youth Soccer and that has an identifiable membership of at
least one hundred (100) youth soccer players within a territory determined by the SC Youth Soccer Board of Directors.
This organization is in place to carry out SC Youth Soccer’s programs for youth players. Groups seeking membership in SC Youth Soccer and fulfilling all other requirements for same but having fewer than one hundred (100) youth players may be granted annual provisional status for a seasonal year by a majority vote of the Board of Directors but will not be eligible to vote at any annual general meeting until such a time as its player membership equals at least one hundred (100) players."
--------------------------------------

What you seem to have found sounds like an effort to block registration of clubs of less than 100 players even though the administration manual includes provisions for those smaller clubs.

D
Goal
Goal
D
HA, found it. Right there on the front page.

Well, the current rules provide an opportunity for registration of clubs of less than 100 players... but it requires a Board vote. So, who would want to influence a Board vote away from allowing registration of a new club?

On another note (maybe?), the meeting didn't seem to have a very strong attendance by member organizations. I see only 6 clubs were represented by attendees... CASA, CESA, CFC, CUFC, MPSC and CSSC.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 01/30/10 09:27 PM.
A
throw in
throw in
A
Good successful companies welcome the competition...it makes them stronger. Paranoid companies stifle the competition.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Glad you guys picked up on this comment on SCYSA website. Rest assured I did and sent in a comment questioning said remarks instantly. Clearly touched a nerve having opened a new club in 2009 (actually incorporated in 2008)

I was pleased with the way SCYSA handled our application and the welcome we got. They (or we) did not know how many kids we would register and allowed the provisional status. In the end we topped 110 in our first season and will probably reach 150 in the spring. Without that ability to grant provisional entry, I can think of at least 50 kids who would not be kicking a ball in the spring. Shame on whoever uttered that comment or as DeltaDog puts it...
"who would want to influence a Board vote away from allowing registration of a new club?"

For the record, I would not describe our founding folks as disgruntled.

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
M
kick off
kick off
M
Sure would be nice to know who brought this Rule 1 up? I just don't like the tone of that president's report. The way I see it is pretty clear. The posts above are spot on, some of the big boys are paranoid and they are losing business. I hope the state association stands up for itself. The State Cup Tournament for U10-U12 for $150 costs 1/3 of the big boy club's tournaments and you don't have to book hotels rooms through their booking agent. The big clubs are also trying to get their hooks into the ODP program - imagine how much it will cost once the "profesionals" get control of that.

Goal
Goal
This rule is nothing new. If they stick to this, there are going to be some clubs definitely affected by this and some more disgruntled parents

goal kick
goal kick
Who cares? let the kids play where they want to.

S
goal
goal
S
i think any club with an A & B team will sooner or later cause digruntledness among those pesky parents...true story, look it up.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
i think any club with an A & B team will sooner or later cause digruntledness among those pesky parents...true story, look it up.

You are correct! What kid/parent wants to sign up to be on the B or C team compared to the Elite, Premier, or Challenge team? When you're paying $1,000 to play club soccer you want your kids to have the best. Unfortunately only 16-18 per age group are "the best" and that leaves the club to make money off of the "other teams." Ultimately, it's the parents that ruin it as they are the ones that demand their kid get the best, despite their kids often knowing who "the best" players are, especially if they are not one of them.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
While what you say definitely has some truth to it..
There would be no club soccer if it were not for the parents.So every parent that does not have an Elite,Premier or Challenge player is considered disgruntled..Please..

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
"There would be no club soccer if it were not for the parents."

That statement says it all as to why soccer's development structure in this country is so flawed. Parents like their so-called importance and the justification because of the need to supply the finances.

I guess for those looking, here's one reason high school soccer is better then club: parents' lack of involvement. If club soccer had an education component, soccer training, coaches not funded by parents and most expenses covered, can you imagine how perfect it would be?

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Parents would love that too..
So the only reason people would leave a club and start up a new one is because they are disgruntled?
Seems like alot of work for people that know nothing about soccer..
If a new club is formed I bet it is formed by soccer professionals who might have a different idea of how things should be run..I've seen this happen or one is formed to cater to a group that otherwise would not have the opportunity to play maybe because of distance or costs..

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

Parents would love that too..
So the only reason people would leave a club and start up a new one is because they are disgruntled?
Seems like alot of work for people that know nothing about soccer..
If a new club is formed I bet it is formed by soccer professionals who might have a different idea of how things should be run..I've seen this happen or one is formed to cater to a group that otherwise would not have the opportunity to play maybe because of distance or costs..

From my perspective, I believe that is why there are so many clubs in some geographic areas. Because certain parents want to cater to their child or "do it their way"

A
throw in
throw in
A
Most of the clubs I have seen started were by soccer "professionals" who wanted more control over where the parents money goes.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
You guys must live in the Coastal District!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
and you say that like it is a bad thing...

clearly I have a dog very much in this fight so will refrain from adding anything more to this thread beyond my first post.

But (OK here I go) looking at our LSYSA schedules for this spring for our teams and I for one am delighted with the variety and selection of clubs, colors, and familieis we will meet from the coastal district.

For example, our U9 II team is in a division of 6 with 6 different clubs representing Cainhoy, West Ashley, Goose Creek, Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, and Walterboro.

Our U10 boys in a division of 11 with involving 8 clubs: Cainhoy, West Ashley, Mount Pleasant (3), North Charleston, Walterboro, Daniel Island, Summerville, and James Island (2).

I for one love variety

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
M
bench
bench
M
Quote:

You are correct! What kid/parent wants to sign up to be on the B or C team compared to the Elite, Premier, or Challenge team? When you're paying $1,000 to play club soccer you want your kids to have the best. Unfortunately only 16-18 per age group are "the best" and that leaves the club to make money off of the "other teams." Ultimately, it's the parents that ruin it as they are the ones that demand their kid get the best, despite their kids often knowing who "the best" players are, especially if they are not one of them.

I happen to be a parent of a kid on the "B" team and we couldn't be happier. Not every kid is good enough to play premier, challenge or elite. But, my kid is a solid player at the classic level. We've played every level from rec to developmental to now classic and this has by far been the best experience we've had.

Sandman, has your child ever played on a club team? I often find that the parents who have the most negative perceptions of the club environment are those who have never had their kids part of that program.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
Yellow Hat..
Great first posts.
We need more common sense on this board

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

I happen to be a parent of a kid on the "B" team and we couldn't be happier. Not every kid is good enough to play premier, challenge or elite. But, my kid is a solid player at the classic level. We've played every level from rec to developmental to now classic and this has by far been the best experience we've had.

Sandman, has your child ever played on a club team? I often find that the parents who have the most negative perceptions of the club environment are those who have never had their kids part of that program.

yes, to your question, & have never been disgruntled, no reason to with youth sports. i have however listened to many parents who rightly or wrongly feel slighted about their soccer superstar....just my observations & relax, thats just the nature of parents in all youth sports.
surely this can't be news to anyone on this board

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

btw, this was my only statement & it was rather just tongue in cheek on a subject that every coach has dealt with on every level at some point, it wasn't a statement about you or your club

Goal
Goal
Quote:

You mean a parent got upset because their child wasn't as good as they thought? Get out

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

You mean a parent got upset because their child wasn't as good as they thought? Get out

ya, so they went over & formed cainhoy i think it was...i jest

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
I brought this topic up ..not because I do not believe there are no disgruntled parents out there..I brought it up because it was discussed at a state meeting that was attended by a handful of clubs..big and small..Who represented this clubs at the meeting..I have no idea ...could of been Presidents,Vice presidents or maybe DOCs
I guess I take issue with the word disgruntled when it comes to new clubs being started or to label that word on any player or parent that chooses to change clubs for whatever reason..Don't limit a player's choices.
If you don't want small clubs popping up around you..Do not blame it on parents..Take care of your membership and offer more services than the small clubs and they will remain just that..small.
Let's not get to a point that players are told where they will play because their choices where taken care of in a board room.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

I brought this topic up ..not because I do not believe there are no disgruntled parents out there..I brought it up because it was discussed at a state meeting that was attended by a handful of clubs..big and small..Who represented this clubs at the meeting..I have no idea ...could of been Presidents,Vice presidents or maybe DOCs
I guess I take issue with the word disgruntled when it comes to new clubs being started or to label that word on any player or parent that chooses to change clubs for whatever reason..Don't limit a player's choices.
If you don't want small clubs popping up around you..Do not blame it on parents..Take care of your membership and offer more services than the small clubs and they will remain just that..small.
Let's not get to a point that players are told where they will play because their choices where taken care of in a board room.

don't let my small attempt at humor throw you off, i believe we're all in agreement

Goal
Goal
Quote:

The rules are there for a reason. You are asking the state association to overlook violations of rules because someone doesn't want to play for a certain club. it sounds a lot like I am taking my ball and going home syndrome.

If they want to start a new club, adhere to the guidelines.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
I don't have a problem with the rules..The rule has always been there..I have a problem with soccer professionals deciding on who is disgruntled. Note..the topic of the thread.Heads of soccer clubs don't get to decide why people start another club..

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
How many clubs are started up because of disgruntled parents? Seems like alot of work..Disgruntled parents usually just move to another club..Truth is..there are disgruntled parents at EVERY club..Usually lazy and just wants to complain about everything..Does this sound like someone that going to put forth the effort of building a club because their not happy?

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
EVERY parent is disgruntled when their child falls short of making a team, starting, getting playing time, etc, etc, etc. EVERY parent...no exceptions! The ones who disagree and deny are 1) not telling the truth or 2) have a child who is a main player that hasn't faced that confrontation point yet. I guess we'll see in the following responses who falls under which category.

brace
brace
"I have been a disgruntled parent" (sounds like the start of a 12 step program, or a new thread)

I will admit to having been disgruntlled when my child was required to play a position they did not want. I understood the coach wanted to put the best chance of winning out there but, when you know your child can play the position they want better than the player in it, well it does tend to get frustrating.

My bigger pet peeve is when a club makes a team of players to place a team at a level when you can see they do not have enough quality players to field that team so you get rec players playing challenge/classic because the club wants a team at that level in that age bracket. I have seen this several times in several clubs.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Look around Greenville/Spartenburg - CESA, Furman, CFC, SAFC, USA, and to a lesser degree CASA (when they merged with Anderson). Even the Seneca group were probably a bunch of disgruntled parents with CASA. I am sure DSC loses kids to Charlotte clubs and/or disgruntled clubs that pop up around Charlotte. Not just a coastal thing.

It is being discussed as a bad thing, but if the kids are playing (assuming they have some decent coaches) and the parents are happy, why does SCYSA care?

brace
brace
Quote:

I am sure DSC loses kids to Charlotte clubs and/or disgruntled clubs that pop up around Charlotte. Not just a coastal thing.

You are quite right the club situation here has DSC, UPFC, CSSC, and others losing a lot of players (especially girls whose season matches NC girls school season) to the Charlotte clubs or leaving the area for CESA because no one can put together solid SC teams becasue the local talent is so split.

brace
brace
PEOPLE ACT IN THEIR OWN SELF INTERESTS.

One of the truisms I believe after 58 years on this earth, most involved in soccer. Parents are inherently interested in their own children first, and most do about anything to help their own child most. Makes them human. Some then start clubs, not necessarily because little Susie doesn't start but maybe because they are proactive and see that others will also get a chance. Must look at every individual situation.

I have seen parents show up unannounced, build goals, buy nets in Rochester, NY and put them up in Conrad, Iowa the day before opening games in a town of 1,000 people, send emails and letters to coaches thanking them, just do nice things because they are nice people. Most people do act in their own self interest, but some give and share and have real confidence in themselves that this is the right thing to do.

I hope we have a million clubs, a million interested and sharing parents, a million teams for girls and boys to play on, and a million memories. Put me in coach.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
A
throw in
throw in
A
Retired, Old and Happy.....well said.

Unfortunately the Club coaches and DOC's continually complain about the parents. Without the parents kids and money, they would not have a job or at least a paying job.
Successful clubs realize this and are able to incorporate it into their business plan. Because in the end this is a business.
It would be nice to see as many kids involved in soccer, at whatever level. For some it may be rec, others travel. Every child does not have to be on an ODP team to be "successful". Fact of the matter is a majority of ODP players will not get scholarships and if they do, what kind of school is it?? I've seen some kids get scholarships to schools that I would rather pay for my child to go somewhere else. And if they do go pro, they will not make any real money in MSL. In the end you have to ask does the trip justify the end. That answer will be different for everyone.

S
goal
goal
S
somehow i agree with every post on this thread, & i know its off track & this thread has been hijacked, yada, yada.

the parents are part of the problem & also responsible for the existence & success of the higher level teams. there are very few kids that want to sacrifice their childhood to practice 4 days a week, optional 5th in any sport & then spend weekends traveling to test their skill. it really does take a bit of brainwashing by parents to mold these kids into ball kicking freaks.
way back, i played 4 sports in a very large high school & never practiced the way club sport kids do today & never wanted to, nevermind the younger kids.
just that there are websites like this dedicated to adults talking about kids kicking a ball, scores, progress reports, injuries, coaching changes, etc etc might just clue us in that.... hey, we're nuts.
try explaining your superstars schedule to your parents who probably kicked you out of the house on weekends with the simple instructions to just go play.
i dunno, not a judgement on soccer, just a commentary/rambling? on yth sports of today vs the nostalgic view of simple yesteryear... & with full disclosure, i remain part of the problem.

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Quote:

... etc etc might just clue us in that.... hey, we're nuts.
try explaining your superstars schedule to your parents who probably kicked you out of the house on weekends with the simple instructions to just go play.
i dunno, not a judgement on soccer, just a commentary/rambling? on yth sports of today vs the nostalgic view of simple yesteryear... & with full disclosure, i remain part of the problem.

Sandman, great post.

C
hat-trick
OP Offline
hat-trick
C
The funny thing is our children are probably going to tell their children to get out of the house and go play and would never think of spending THAT kind of money to play a sport..

goal kick
goal kick
One way for clubs to address parental concerns about team selection is to ensure quality training for all levels of teams. Unfortunately this often doesn't occur. I've seen some absolutely miserable B teams at various clubs: teams that lack committed players and parents, good training, and even a chance at being competitive in their league. As the season progresses, these teams are often hindered by poor attendance at practice and games, and do not offer an environment in which players can improve. Players who are dedicated to improvement who get placed on these teams suffer, and would often be better off if they can get a spot on a better team at a different club. Put a kid on that kind of team, and its a long, steep climb, to get to the next level, no matter what the DOC tells you as he pockets your check. So parents often DO have a point when they club shop for the best team. Let me emphasize that I am not talking about ALL "B" or "C" teams; there are some very good ones out there. However, there are too many that fit the pattern I've described.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard