Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
throw in
throw in
O
The best player in the state should have their best game when playing with and against the others vying for the title

C
Coach
Coach
C
Observer,

It's a really nice thought, but how could you ensure that the selection for this "true" all-star team would be any more "true"? Many times a player's observed performance (and statistics, although those can be even more deceiving) really are fairly dependent on the surrounding team. A forward who is pure magic at putting the ball away might be overshadowed by one with lesser talent whose team is better at getting her opportunities with the ball. On the flip side, an otherwise outstanding goalkeeper may not stand out on a team with a strong defense that seldom allows a shot, while a good keeper on a weaker team has many more opportunities to shine and attract attention.

Any system of identifying "true all-stars" is going to be inherently flawed, because soccer is very much a team sport in which the performance of the individual is greatly affected by the support of the surrounding players--not just by political bias toward "soccer schools."

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Still, it really IS a nice thought.

I've got good news and bad news...
O
throw in
throw in
O
What if you had college coaches or sports writers (who live in the high school area) attend high school games and compile their own list of nominees for this type of event? It would definitely have to be people who can recognize skill...It would take a lot of work! Do you think college coaches would attend an event like this? Do you think this might entice more South Carolina colleges and universities to recruit from our state? I know...high school ball is not the same level of play as Region III and this is a very different idea...but, if you want what is best for the kids, why not think outside of the box a little bit?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Do you think this might entice more South Carolina colleges and universities to recruit from our state? I know...high school ball is not the same level of play as Region III and this is a very different idea...but, if you want what is best for the kids, why not think outside of the box a little bit?

I have been trying to ignore this thread but I just can't ignore this statement. Do you pay any attention to high school soccer? The colleges in our state are very supportive of our High Schools and every one of them (including the bigger schools like USC and Clemson) recruit locally and have plenty of local talent on their rosters. If you don't believe me, check out Hurst's list of players. Every one of them (and more) are playing in college next year.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Also, I am not sure if your idea is a criticism of our all-state selection process or our current all-star games but I have to say that a lot of people put a lot of effort into these projects and more often than not the right girls are honored...especially our state players of the year.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Yes, they are all CESA players. Were any recruited by the colleges because of their high school play? I hope so and would love to hear the good news!

O
throw in
throw in
O
I am just making an observation of the current system which is flawed and I hate you took it personally. I am sure a lot people work hard, I have said nothing about specific players.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Just trying to think of a way for more of the best talent in our state to get exposure. High school is all that some of these kids have. Not everyone can afford ODP and club.

O
throw in
throw in
O
CJ: This thread is if you could watch one match: I posted my "ideal" one

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard