Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
G
If you could watch one match this HS season what two teams would it be and why. 2-A vs 4-A etc..

world cup
world cup
GOI,

If your family is still back in Texas, and your job here in the Greenville area permits you to get out and watch high school girls soccer matches at 7 PM, I'd like to get your take on a number of contests. The folks on this forum can tell you what "the game of the week" is, and you can go cover it. Report back to us on this thread and tell us what you saw.

It would be great having someone out there, without a dog in the fight, reporting on our better matches.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
G
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
G
Hurst66
You got a deal, lets see if I can earn some credibility on this forum.

world cup
world cup
Do you go back to Texas on weekends, or are you here on Friday nights?

If you are available, your first assignment is Friday, March 5 at 8:30 PM at Spring Valley High School. South Aiken vs. JL Mann in the first round of the Viking Cup.

If you are in South Carolina that weekend, buy a tournament pass and spend Friday night and all day Saturday there. Great games the whole weekend. 32 teams, semi-finals and finals are on Sunday. Just about every womens college soccer coach in South Carolina tries to attend.

Good Luck!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal kick
goal kick
Riverside at Eastside on 3-10.Tradition says this will be another big game,that could be a rematch for the upstate AAA championship in May.Players from both high school squads are teammates on travel teams in the fall.Ask any player from either team who they want to beat the worst and the reply will be Eastside or Riverside.

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Any combination of Mauldin, Dorman, Spartanburg, TL Hanna in 4A and Riverside, Eastside and JL Mann in 3A.

G
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
G
Hurst66
I do go home on weekends, however i will try to attend the Vicking Cup and report back on scsoccer.com.

T
corner kick
corner kick
T
OK- Proud Daddy Time....

I am gonna throw in that I would LOVE to see ANY of the JV Lady Bearcat Games this coming season..... It seems my daughter is wearing strips of a different color than her daddy! March 9th at The Cage is going to be an interesting day as we bring in my Lady Bengals to face the Bearcats....Hmmmm who to side with and who to get mean looks from? I guess it all depends on where I want to sleep that night..... Oh boy!!!

Go Cats?? That works for both teams right????

tk

Tony King
O
throw in
throw in
O
I would like to see a "real" all state team take on the defending state champs Mauldin. By "real" I mean the best players in the state even though they don't attend "the #1 or #2" soccer rich schools in each region. I think the all star from this game should be the SC Player of the year.

brace
brace
How about an all star team playing Riverside, Bishop England, etc.? I believe there are other teams that have won more state championships than Mauldin, but I could be wrong.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
Coach
Coach
C
Wando/BE should be interesting...don't let the 4A/2A fool you, there are plenty of blue chips on both sides of that equation.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I would like to see a "real" all state team take on the defending state champs Mauldin. By "real" I mean the best players in the state even though they don't attend "the #1 or #2" soccer rich schools in each region. I think the all star from this game should be the SC Player of the year.

Huh?

Observer, what are you saying? Fort Mill had Mauldin on the ropes in last year's upper-state final, with a team comprised of a bunch of juniors, sophomores and freshmen. Anybody with any soccer knowledge who witnessed the match will tell you that Mauldin was "fortunate" to advance.

TL Hanna gave them a game, Wando stood toe-to-toe with Mauldin in the state final. Riverside, JL Mann and Dorman can give the Lady Mavs all they want on any given day.

Am I missing something here? Is Mauldin going to hammer every opponent they play this year?

corner kick
corner kick
Mauldin has to play their best just to win the region, let alone make it to the state finals. There are numerous schools in the state that can beat Mauldin on any given day.

Only time will tell
O
throw in
throw in
O
ROH, I definitely agree. There should be one for each level of A. Hurst66 Fort Mill, Wando, Dorman, JL Mann, TL Hanna would have been the stated school had they won the State Championship.

Last edited by observer; 02/06/10 11:52 PM.
world cup
world cup
Still not quite sure where you are coming from. None of the girls listed below play for Fort Mill, and if they were to play Fort Mill in an "All Star" game, these All-Stars (plus a few others from the class of 2011) would probably thrash the Lady Jackets.

.....and I would imagine they would take it to the Lady Mavs as well. (Even if the Hert/Hirt girls played for Mauldin).

2010 Allen,Jordan Francis Marion University
2010 Anderson,Mariana Presbyterian College
2010 Cucchi,Nichole Clemson University
2010 Hert,Morgan Clemson University
2010 Hirt,Kristie Lander University
2010 Lewis,Allison Charleston Southern University
2010 Lisson,Brooke High Point University
2010 Miller,Becca Presbyterian College
2010 Moore,Catherine Furman University
2010 Polson, Megan Wofford College
2010 Smith,Ellie University of Alabama
2010 Urig,Chloe Charleston Southern University
2010 Waters,Allie Anderson University
2010 Waldon,Mackenzie Iowa State University
2010 Toole,Anna Catawba College

O
throw in
throw in
O
Would like for a true all star team (not those who would be nominated by seniority) the best players in the state to take on the state champs, once one has been determined. (all levels of high school ball) Then pick the SC Player of the Year based on their performance in this match-up. (s)

O
throw in
throw in
O
Not all of the best players in our state make all state because they play at schools that are soccer-challenged. Many of these players have higher stats than those that actually earn the high school awards. Higher stats at a school that has 1 or 2 club players (if that) is much harder to do than at a school that has all club and several region III players. To be blunt: the best players in the state, regardless of their year in high school and where their high school team finishes should have a fair chance at being names SC Player of the Year and to the All State Team.

U
throw in
throw in
U
Mavs dad is just covering himself in case the Lady Mavericks get upset. Mauldin has 5-6 CESA premier players returning, 5-6 new CESA premier players coming in. On paper their more deep than last year. Mav's dad has already ordered another trophy case to set above his fireplace. I don't blame him. If you beat Mauldin this year you upset them...

world cup
world cup
observer,

Your logic is seriously flawed.

#1 Determining the SC HS POY on the basis of solely one game is ridiculous. Best player may not be 100% in that match.

#2 Stats are seriously misleading. It often depends on the competition you are facing, rather than the number of great players you have around you. The 10th best player in the state could pile up massive statistics playing in a weak region (in 2A). A player could also score a ton of goals in one season playing for a coach who doesn't take his foot off the pedal in lopsided matches against inferior competition.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Not really because to play in the match you would have had to earn it throughout the season. I would, also, say that based on the way the regions are set up the soccer haves typically don't have the best competition during their regular league games. What if the best player in the state plays for a high school with no other club players and a coach who is not soccer qualified? Is it fair to just give it to a player who happend to be on a good team?

O
throw in
throw in
O
The best player in the state should have their best game when playing with and against the others vying for the title

C
Coach
Coach
C
Observer,

It's a really nice thought, but how could you ensure that the selection for this "true" all-star team would be any more "true"? Many times a player's observed performance (and statistics, although those can be even more deceiving) really are fairly dependent on the surrounding team. A forward who is pure magic at putting the ball away might be overshadowed by one with lesser talent whose team is better at getting her opportunities with the ball. On the flip side, an otherwise outstanding goalkeeper may not stand out on a team with a strong defense that seldom allows a shot, while a good keeper on a weaker team has many more opportunities to shine and attract attention.

Any system of identifying "true all-stars" is going to be inherently flawed, because soccer is very much a team sport in which the performance of the individual is greatly affected by the support of the surrounding players--not just by political bias toward "soccer schools."

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
Still, it really IS a nice thought.

O
throw in
throw in
O
What if you had college coaches or sports writers (who live in the high school area) attend high school games and compile their own list of nominees for this type of event? It would definitely have to be people who can recognize skill...It would take a lot of work! Do you think college coaches would attend an event like this? Do you think this might entice more South Carolina colleges and universities to recruit from our state? I know...high school ball is not the same level of play as Region III and this is a very different idea...but, if you want what is best for the kids, why not think outside of the box a little bit?

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Do you think this might entice more South Carolina colleges and universities to recruit from our state? I know...high school ball is not the same level of play as Region III and this is a very different idea...but, if you want what is best for the kids, why not think outside of the box a little bit?

I have been trying to ignore this thread but I just can't ignore this statement. Do you pay any attention to high school soccer? The colleges in our state are very supportive of our High Schools and every one of them (including the bigger schools like USC and Clemson) recruit locally and have plenty of local talent on their rosters. If you don't believe me, check out Hurst's list of players. Every one of them (and more) are playing in college next year.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Also, I am not sure if your idea is a criticism of our all-state selection process or our current all-star games but I have to say that a lot of people put a lot of effort into these projects and more often than not the right girls are honored...especially our state players of the year.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Yes, they are all CESA players. Were any recruited by the colleges because of their high school play? I hope so and would love to hear the good news!

O
throw in
throw in
O
I am just making an observation of the current system which is flawed and I hate you took it personally. I am sure a lot people work hard, I have said nothing about specific players.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Just trying to think of a way for more of the best talent in our state to get exposure. High school is all that some of these kids have. Not everyone can afford ODP and club.

O
throw in
throw in
O
CJ: This thread is if you could watch one match: I posted my "ideal" one

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Recruited BECAUSE of their high school play? I don't know if you could ever say that because soccer is a sport that requires such a refined skill that year round play is practically a must during the formative years. That means high school AND club play.

Those girls did not all START at CESA, nor do they always finish there. Your comment makes it sound like CESA is the reason they are recruited to college, that is simply not true.
I can tell you that some of the girls that I have coached played for our high school team BEFORE they made a CESA premier team. So who gets "credit" for making them college level players?

But to answer your question, I have been head coach here at Hanna for only 3 years and have had two girls that were not CESA players sign with colleges although I must admit that one of them used to play at CESA. The other one was pure Anderson home grown.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I think it would be great if there was more exposure for high school players; in my opinion there is a lot of talent and hard work that goes unrecognized because players don't happen to have the "right" opportunities to be seen in the "right" places.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

I am just making an observation of the current system which is flawed and I hate you took it personally. I am sure a lot people work hard, I have said nothing about specific players.

It takes a lot more than this to offend me and I did not take it personally...your idea was just so far fetched and some of your points sounded like you had an agenda (like maybe you have a daughter that plays on a HS team that is not good).

C
Coach
Coach
C
CJ, I'm with you in that I hate to see talented high school players listed as college picks and the first question everyone asks is, "oh, what club did they play for?" Still, I think it's fair to say that some high school players get more exposure to college coaches than others due to the overall level of play at the school...I know I've had a couple of girls who would have gotten more looks if they had been at higher-profile soccer schools. My keeper from last year was offered a spot at VT; the talent was mostly homegrown, but I have to admit it was the contacts she made through the club that got the coaches to give her a chance to prove herself.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Were you able to assist your players with the recruiting process? Did they "commit" before or during their senior year? Are there specific tournaments that your team played in that these specific schools were able to see these girls play? Did the colleges just come to your regular league games? What are you currently doing to market the players you have on the team now? Any of this info would be helpful for the kids who have aspirations (sp) of playing at the next level.

No daughter playing high school ball...just a soccer fan!

Last edited by observer; 02/07/10 03:03 AM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Then again, maybe it's just me being warm and fuzzy and trying to see good intentions behind what might be stated awkwardly. I can't rip on EVERYONE who says something that's open to misinterpretation...then I'd have to change my screen name to match my favorite NASCAR driver.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
I think all of this rain is making me cranky.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Then again, maybe it's just me being warm and fuzzy and trying to see good intentions behind what might be stated awkwardly. I can't rip on EVERYONE who says something that's open to misinterpretation...then I'd have to change my screen name to match my favorite NASCAR driver.

You are a better man than I, my friend. I think you do a great job with your girls and I love reading your post game summaries. I do think that is something that more coaching should do.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Y'know, if you can find a way to make a torrential-rain Friday practice sharing an old gym floor with the boys' team fun, you can smile at anything.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
We were outside on only one day last week! And with wrestling and basketball still in play, there just isn't any room inside for much ball work. Very frustrating.

C
Coach
Coach
C
We got three days outside...kinda frustrating...record numbers trying out, several freshmen on the JV/varsity bubble, and I really haven't had a chance to put them through the paces properly before I need to make cuts...oh, well...at least I need to make cuts rather than fish for warm bodies!

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Coach,
Looking forward to April 28th in the swamp..Don't bring the rain with ya..

C
Coach
Coach
C
We love mudball...last one with a clean spot on the uniform is a rotten egg!

U
throw in
throw in
U
all sports require a refind skill. if your going to be good at something you have to do it all year.
high school programs that don't have the benefit of having a club in the area need the input of their high school coaches. players who can't afford club soccer also need the help of their high school coaches. one of the first questions to all of his hs players should be "who wants to play at the next level? then start going to work for those players. make some phone calls to college coaches that you have an athlete that's interested in their university. also give the player guidance on what level the hs coach thinks the player can play at.
i think these are some things that club is offering that "some" high schools don't offer when it comes to soccer.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
valid points Uncle Buck, but you seemed to have ignored the fact that we have highjacked this thread to whine about the rain.

U
throw in
throw in
U
sorry CJ, my bad.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
no worries, Chass started us our own thread.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Uncle Buck,
I guess my child got lucky because her coach asked all those questions and even offered to make a highlight video of her to send out to colleges..

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
observer...what a weird and awkward argument.

wish i would have looked to get in on this last night so that i could be the to say it first...but cht and uncle buck are dead on.

promoting hs soccer is in the hands of the players and coaches...mostly the coaches. college coaches don't go to club events b/c they are club events. they go b/c of the overall caliber of play (lots of it in one spot) and the fact that someone clues them in on the what's happening.

no one is going to come look at you unless they know that you are there. if you want them to just "stumble across you" for the sake of suspense, then you need to put yourself (or team) in those "hot spots" where you know coaches will be (quality tournaments, combines, etc.)

before i get raked over the coals...the rain sucks. we have our first club game this afternoon and have practiced a total of 2 1/2 hours thanks to the weather.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Jonathan: What if your coach doesn't do these things and your team isn't good enough to play at the "hot spot" tournaments? Thus, my idea of inviting local college coaches to be a part of the process by nominating the player of the year. (I know, it is a different way of selecting the POY, but, it could, ideally, lead to some kids being recruited that otherwise may not have been.)It sounds to me like a player should do the marketing themselves. Not all high school coaches are qualified to coach soccer, much less, market their program. Can a player and their family do some of these things or must it all be done by the coaches? How do states like Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, etc. select their high school players of the year? Perhaps, these states have a strong system in place for choosing their POY.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Just a few more things: Are all high school coaches making sure that their athletes are acamecially eligible to play at the next level? Are they making sure that they are taking the courses to be eligible to play? I have heard that just having enough credit to graduate from high school does not automatically mean that they are "eligible" for the NCAA Clearinghouse. I believe this is something that should be done starting their freshmen year. Also, when do they register for the NCAA Clearinghouse? When should they start taking the SAT and ACT. I definitely don't understand the "sliding scale." Can someone explain this?
Why don't all high school soccer coaches share this information with their players?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
There are other avenues if the coach or program are not willing to help with recruitment..Players and parents should play a role in the recruiment process..There are those out there that are willing to help with recruitment for a fee of course..National Scouting Report is one I know of and you will find on most all college websites..A recruitment form to fill out to let those in charge know that you are interested in their college..Send the college coach a copy of your HS schedule or a tape of the player in action..I have found that POY awards are usually won by the most popular player and maybe not always the player that helped their team the most..

brace
brace
At the CESA combine each year in the college coaches forum, the coaches tell the players: "We are not recruiting your father or mother, or your coach, we are recruiting you. If you want to come here, get on the phone or email and let us know. YOU need to be the leader of your recruiting." That's it in a nutshell.

I have only had one senior in 36 years not get a college scholarship offer. Many have turned them down when their priorities were different and I have no problem with that. The high school/club coach's responsibility is to raise and identify options for the player, and to educate the player on realistic possibilities at a college level where: (1) they get on the field, (2) they can star if possible, or (3) they can sit as the last person on a team but still say they have soccer in their lives.

Parents quite often get in the way and "oversell" their children especially if their children are really good or really bad. Just let the kids play, and let the college coaches see them either in person or on film, and see what happens.

Also, start early (9th grade or so) in contacting college coaches. They have more time to see these kids in camps than in games and they will usually be at combines like the CESA combines, etc. and at tournaments. If they know of the child's interest, they usually check it out.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
been there done all the stuff it takes..Signed up for clearinghouse..Taken ACT/SATs..Daughter could of had enough credits to graduate a year early..
Who did all this? Several were involved..guidance counselors,coaches,player and parents..Who needs to get the ball rolling to make this things happen..Player and parents..The tools are there you just need to get the right people involved

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Speaking of the CESA combine..My daughter was contacted by two or three colleges that saw her play and want to get together to meet and talk..This is a great tool that every player should take advantage of..The funny part is that she just wanted to go and play soccer..have some fun..We did not even stick around to listen to the college coaches talk to the players..She went with a carefree attitude and just had fun with it..

corner kick
corner kick
You're talking like it should be the HS coach's responsibility to get these kids into college programs. IMO, it should be the player's responsibility to say "Hey, I want to play college ball, what can I do to make this happen?" and take that attitude to her parents and coaches to help guide them. If they want to play at certain colleges, they should step up and contact them and talk to their coach about getting in touch with them and having parents help make highlight videos etc. The parents need to help get the player to summer camps at those colleges for more exposure, to get to the CESA Player Combine.

If you want it enough, you should be the one in the driver's seat. All high school libraries have computers, the player should be on them early and often, researching colleges and teams and the Clearing House and ready to go to the people who can help them with that information. If you're a coach and you think a player has talent, but not confidence, then you should encourage them to get the ball rolling and help them to start doing that, but not do that for them.

Someone who's really passionate about the game will probably know by freshman year whether or not they'll want to play college ball and they should start contacting coaches then, but time doesn't run out if you decide later. Even if you don't have the option for a scholarship or aren't quite exceptional enough, you can still talk about the options of walking-onto a team and playing time. I have a classmate who walked onto Davidson's team and became a major impact starter.

There are a lot of people who put effort into getting a kid into college and college ball, but it should start where it matters: with the player.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
brace
brace
Quote:

You're talking like it should be the HS coach's responsibility to get these kids into college programs. IMO, it should be the player's responsibility to say "Hey, I want to play college ball, what can I do to make this happen?" and take that attitude to her parents and coaches to help guide them.

If you're a coach and you think a player has talent, but not confidence, then you should encourage them to get the ball rolling and help them to start doing that, but not do that for them.

Cherry picking here a little, I agree with your main point that it is on the players to make his/her desires known, but... (had to know there was a but right!)

Coaches have the wisdom and experience, well some do, to know who can play at the next level and should push those players along. Football programs have kids who move into school attendance zone just so kids can play for a certain coach because he get kids into college programs. I think it likely happen with soccer too, just not as well publicized! I guess what I am saying is that a coach who pushes her/his players at college is doing their program a favor as well as possibly helping an young adult grow and mature.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

At the CESA combine each year in the college coaches forum, the coaches tell the players: "We are not recruiting your father or mother, or your coach, we are recruiting you. If you want to come here, get on the phone or email and let us know. YOU need to be the leader of your recruiting." That's it in a nutshell.

I have only had one senior in 36 years not get a college scholarship offer. Many have turned them down when their priorities were different and I have no problem with that. The high school/club coach's responsibility is to raise and identify options for the player, and to educate the player on realistic possibilities at a college level where: (1) they get on the field, (2) they can star if possible, or (3) they can sit as the last person on a team but still say they have soccer in their lives.

Parents quite often get in the way and "oversell" their children especially if their children are really good or really bad. Just let the kids play, and let the college coaches see them either in person or on film, and see what happens.

Also, start early (9th grade or so) in contacting college coaches. They have more time to see these kids in camps than in games and they will usually be at combines like the CESA combines, etc. and at tournaments. If they know of the child's interest, they usually check it out.

To me....this is a really sensitive area of misunderstanding. Every college or high level club coach I've ever been around has made the exact same points as ROH.

But here's my rub.....

I don't sitback with my non-athlete children and let them work the process on their own. They have to take the SAT's, but I can counsel them to take a prep class. I can keep nudging them to develop a list of schools of interest that we go visit, maybe help to arrange for them to audit a class in their proposed major. There are a ton of things.....as a parent I do to help them make one of the more important and interesting decisions of their lives.

It's their decision!! But I help steer them......

So why would I do less with my athlete children?

I'm going to help compile a list of potential schools...help them write a sample email to a school...make sure that the schools they are interested in for sports offer the majors they are expressing interest in. Make sure they qualify academicaly and financially for the schools they are interested in.

I would think by the time junior year rolls around and schools can start contacting kids directly the player does need to step up and assume a greater role. But just because your kid plays soccer and a coach tells you they aren't recruiting you, they are recruiting your kid....doesn't mean you wash your hands of the process and walk away.

I think context should tell you that it is about the kid, not you. Regardless of whether it is school choice or soccer recruiting. As a parent you need to make sure you are in the background. But as a parent you better keep your finger on the pulse of what's going on. And as a parent I would be uncomfortable with a coach insisting on something otherwise.

The Chief #128675 02/09/10 10:12 PM
corner kick
corner kick
You copied the "but" from my post ;-). "If you're a coach and you think a player has talent, but not confidence, then you should encourage them to get the ball rolling and help them to start doing that, but not do that for them."

The whole point of my post is not that the child should do it alone, but that they should be putting forth the effort themselves and get help, not that it should solely be up to the coaches or parents to say "You should go do this at X college. I'll e-mail, call, talk to, and basically do everything for you" to make it happen. A couple of the previous posts made it sound like it should be solely up to the coach to contact all these schools and basically make sure everything is taken care of for the player.

I agree 100% that counselors and coaches and parents need to be involved in the process, but I still think it should be in a manner that encourages the student/player to take control and do what is needed to get things done rather than let them sit back and know that they'll be told exactly when to jump and how high.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
brace
brace
Big Daddy - Really good post. I agree fully.

brace
brace
Well said Big Daddy! I want my child to have options and make his or her own choice. They need guidance and suggestions but in the end they must want what they choose or they will never give the opportunity the full effort and receive the fullest possible reward.

Maybe Na Fo people are not so bad after all

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard