Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
brace
brace
Quote:

Always,

Name me a local sports journalist who does a great job of ripping the home teams and criticizing the local players? Do you have a "Jim Rome" writing for your local paper?

Please. Barry does his job, and he does it well.

I believe Barry has been covering Rock Hill sports since the time that I played, and that was before the Civil War. He is one first class sports writer and I have several articles in my scrapbooks that he wrote. Great guy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
He reminds me a lot of a sportswriter in my hometown....a guy named Jack Polancy. Not necessarily a great writer...
but a guy you could just tell loved the sports he covered, as well as the local kids who played them.

My kids don't go to Northwestern, they play against Northwestern. But I have really enjoyed reading his stuff over the last couple of years, particularly about that team.

He's kind of a vanishing breed. Everyone now a days wants to be either Jim Rome or Chris Berman. Either sarcastic or a comediene. Barry and those like him.....write for the small town fans. He probably wouldn't be successful at the Charlotte Observer, but he's perfect for York COunty.

brace
brace
Barry comment: He sent "Hello's" to several of the ex-athletes at our 40th high school reunion this summer. How many sportswriters would: (1) remember that long ago, and (2) care. Pretty classy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup

Chapin's Joey DeMare, seated bottom row in center, signs with the College of Charleston. Joining Joey are: (standing) Athletic Director/Football Coach Scott Earley; Boys JV/Asst. Coach Bob Taylor; sister Abby; brother Greg; Boys Coach Dick Hiller; (seated) father Greg; and mother Julie.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

College of Charleston Womens Soccer Recruits 2010. It sounds like SC Girls need not apply ???? Wasn't there head coach a big part of development of Girls Club Soccer Teams in the Charleston area.

Paragraph from C of C Womens Soccer website below.

"This year's recruiting class comes from all over the country - representing Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania and North Carolina."

They do recruit SC because my starting keeper was offered a preferred walk-on spot but does not want to pursue soccer in college. So to say CofC does not recruit SC is inaccurate.

world cup
world cup
M Allen, "preferred walk-on".....I like that.

Kyle, best player in that photo above might be the young lady in the middle.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2010/feb/03/daniels-hopkins-hannas-bryant-officially-sign-clem/

You have to scroll down past the football signees but eventually you will see TL Hanna's three soccer signees.

Congratulations to Mariana Anderson (PC), Kaitlyn Neipp (Anderson University), and Dent Wise (Coastal Carolina).

World Cup
OP Online Content
World Cup

Brookland-Cayce's Taylor Lewis (seated middle), inks with the College of Charleston. Pictured with Taylor are: (standing L-R) Boys Asst. Coach Marcus Hunter; BCHS Soccer Director/Boys Coach Kevin Heise; Principal Scott Newman; Athletic Director/Football Coach Abby Bray; (seated L-R) mother Mary Sue; and father Mark.

world cup
world cup

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
U
throw in
throw in
U
"preferred walk-on spot" ...that's funny... that's not a recruit...that's, come to college at your own expense...

just because I'm still laughing and I want to keep the joke going, what's the difference between a "preferred walk-on spot" and a "walk on spot"..

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard