Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#128704 02/03/10 12:39 PM
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Please post any collegiate signings for 2010 in this thread. This will be push-pinned for the remainder of the spring in the College section. Also, if you have a picture of the player(s), please post that as well.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Taylor Lewis, Brookland-Cayce HS - College of Charleston

College of Charleston Men's & Women's Soccer Signings

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Bianca Warder, Irmo High School - Newberry College
Ashley Kosobucki, Irmo High School- USC-Upstate

hat-trick
hat-trick

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
Dennis Moore
SR Forward NHS
Signing for Wofford College

Couldnt be prouder of this exceptional young man!

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup
Seth Abramson
Winston-Salem, NC - Defender - North Carolina ODP team member and All-Conference player

Andy Craven
St. Simons Island, GA - Forward - NSCAA All-American and United States U17 National team member

Joey De Mare
Chapin, SC - Winger - Region III Olympic Development Program team member and All-State member

Eric Fornell
Daniel Island, SC - Forward - SCYSA Challenge League leading scorer and Daniel Island to State Finals

Tony Kattreh
Jacksonville Beach, FL - Midfielder - Adidas Elite Soccer Program MVP and Region III ODP team member

Taylor Lewis
West Columbia, SC - Midfielder - All-State member and The State 3A Player of the Year

Please visit the following link to hear Coach Lundy's thoughts on each player - http://www.cofcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=14800&ATCLID=204879912

Pictures/Video will be added updated very shortly.

world cup
world cup
Congratulations Dennis Moore. Great choice!

By the way, that's Barry Byers of The (Rock Hill) Herald interviewing Dennis in the photo. Barry has been a big supporter of Northwestern, Fort Mill and York County high school soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
goal
goal
Looks like Barry Byers, "The Rock Hill/York County Homer", lost his razor or is trying out the Leon Russell look!

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
world cup
world cup
Always,

Name me a local sports journalist who does a great job of ripping the home teams and criticizing the local players? Do you have a "Jim Rome" writing for your local paper?

Please. Barry does his job, and he does it well.

By the way.......that is a pretty funny picture of Barry's twin brother.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

Antoine Parris, Forward, Spring Valley HS

Hunter Wyer, Midfielder/Defender, Southside Christian

H
goal
goal
H

C
Brace
Brace
C
Patrick Adkins and Laura Weaver of West Ashley sign with Spartanburg Methodist.

L
Goal
Goal
L
any word on wofford's 2010 women signees?

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
From Spring Valley HS boys:

Ben Limbaugh, Wofford College
Antoine Parris, University of South Carolina

D
kick off
kick off
D
The goalkeeper coach at Columbia United is also the South Carolina State University women's soccer coach and I had the opportunity to speak to him the other day. Seems like he is very happy with his recruiting class, which includes the 2008 Big South Freshman of the year, a transfer.

I looked it up:
http://www.scsuathletics.com/news/2010/2/3/WSOC_0203104333.aspx

I am amazed how they became competitive with only one recruiting class. I mean SCSU was a laughing stock, showing up with 9-10 players and taking multiple goals, I mean it was by far the worst team in the state and one of the poorest in country.

I was so suprised someone qualified actually agreed to coach them and put their reputation on the line.

People always say that building programs takes a number of years, but the SCSU coaching staff has made it happen. That should be something Winthorp, USC Upstate, Wofford and other traditional strugglers take note of!!

I am sure it must be so embarrasing for some of the other South Carolina teams to lose to SCSU, especially when they were beating them 6-0 or 7-0 for years before.

Seems like they are continuing to go forward with this class as well.
Anyway, just wanted to point that out, as I have been thinking about it after chatting with GB the other day.

S
goal
goal
S
Anyone have any info on Clemson signees?

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Some things never change - The State newspaper has coverage of every football player from SC that signed to play at any college in America and on WLTX Bob Shields even had to get the extra bit in at the end that former Gamecock football player Bill Bradshaw's son is going to play golf at Clemson (we all know had it not been a former gamecock football players son it would never have been mentioned).

Not to diminish the achievements of other sports athletes but when if ever will soccer athletes, who are every bit if not more dedicated to their sport, get any kind of recognition other than a blurb on page 4 of the sports section? I guess we all know the answer - as soon as soccer becomes a money making sport and grandpa and the good ole boys understand the difference between a goal kick and a corner kick.

Sorry for the rant but the ole blood pressue runneth over this morning after looking at the newspaper!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

any word on wofford's 2010 women signees?

Alex Kachulis, a center midfielder from Weddington HS (Charlotte United) has signed with Wofford. She is a very good player and her team will be participating in the Fort Mill Invitational on Friday, March 19 at Manchester Meadows.

U
throw in
throw in
U
College of Charleston Womens Soccer Recruits 2010. It sounds like SC Girls need not apply ???? Wasn't there head coach a big part of development of Girls Club Soccer Teams in the Charleston area.

Paragraph from C of C Womens Soccer website below.

"This year's recruiting class comes from all over the country - representing Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania and North Carolina."

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
CofC has a bunch of SC kids on the roster. Over the last few years, they've got some of SC's best players (Schaidle, Gmerek, Tate, Craft, etc). Just because one year goes by w/o a SC kid doesn't mean anything. Another good one going in 2011 (Robinson).

How come a coach doesn't take a kid the program is evil? But if a kid chooses not to go, then its "my little girl is just making a valued decision for her important four years." It's a two-way street. Maybe CofC did recruit SC and just this year SC girls chose other places. Or maybe SC doesn't have good players CofC wanted. Shouldn't make a blanket statement.

brace
brace
Quote:

Always,

Name me a local sports journalist who does a great job of ripping the home teams and criticizing the local players? Do you have a "Jim Rome" writing for your local paper?

Please. Barry does his job, and he does it well.

I believe Barry has been covering Rock Hill sports since the time that I played, and that was before the Civil War. He is one first class sports writer and I have several articles in my scrapbooks that he wrote. Great guy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
He reminds me a lot of a sportswriter in my hometown....a guy named Jack Polancy. Not necessarily a great writer...
but a guy you could just tell loved the sports he covered, as well as the local kids who played them.

My kids don't go to Northwestern, they play against Northwestern. But I have really enjoyed reading his stuff over the last couple of years, particularly about that team.

He's kind of a vanishing breed. Everyone now a days wants to be either Jim Rome or Chris Berman. Either sarcastic or a comediene. Barry and those like him.....write for the small town fans. He probably wouldn't be successful at the Charlotte Observer, but he's perfect for York COunty.

brace
brace
Barry comment: He sent "Hello's" to several of the ex-athletes at our 40th high school reunion this summer. How many sportswriters would: (1) remember that long ago, and (2) care. Pretty classy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

Chapin's Joey DeMare, seated bottom row in center, signs with the College of Charleston. Joining Joey are: (standing) Athletic Director/Football Coach Scott Earley; Boys JV/Asst. Coach Bob Taylor; sister Abby; brother Greg; Boys Coach Dick Hiller; (seated) father Greg; and mother Julie.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

College of Charleston Womens Soccer Recruits 2010. It sounds like SC Girls need not apply ???? Wasn't there head coach a big part of development of Girls Club Soccer Teams in the Charleston area.

Paragraph from C of C Womens Soccer website below.

"This year's recruiting class comes from all over the country - representing Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania and North Carolina."

They do recruit SC because my starting keeper was offered a preferred walk-on spot but does not want to pursue soccer in college. So to say CofC does not recruit SC is inaccurate.

world cup
world cup
M Allen, "preferred walk-on".....I like that.

Kyle, best player in that photo above might be the young lady in the middle.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
http://www.independentmail.com/news/2010/feb/03/daniels-hopkins-hannas-bryant-officially-sign-clem/

You have to scroll down past the football signees but eventually you will see TL Hanna's three soccer signees.

Congratulations to Mariana Anderson (PC), Kaitlyn Neipp (Anderson University), and Dent Wise (Coastal Carolina).

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

Brookland-Cayce's Taylor Lewis (seated middle), inks with the College of Charleston. Pictured with Taylor are: (standing L-R) Boys Asst. Coach Marcus Hunter; BCHS Soccer Director/Boys Coach Kevin Heise; Principal Scott Newman; Athletic Director/Football Coach Abby Bray; (seated L-R) mother Mary Sue; and father Mark.

world cup
world cup

U
throw in
throw in
U
"preferred walk-on spot" ...that's funny... that's not a recruit...that's, come to college at your own expense...

just because I'm still laughing and I want to keep the joke going, what's the difference between a "preferred walk-on spot" and a "walk on spot"..

O
throw in
throw in
O
UncleBuck: I would like to add another school to your question: The University of South Carolina has no South Carolina recruits.

corner kick
corner kick
So Antoine isnt from South Carolina or what are you saying im a little bit lost by you saying South Carolina had no SC recruits.

goal
goal
From the CESA web page.
YEAR Player College
2010 Arneson,Stephen North Greenville University
2010 Chapman,Jason University of South Carolina
2010 Hurst,Ryan Wofford College
2010 Kowaleski,Mac Coastal Carolina University
2010 Nutley,Alex USC-Upstate
2010 Puetter,Benjamin Wofford College
2010 Schiff,Spencer University of Richmond
2010 Vienne,Ellis University of Kentucky
2010 Wyer,Hunter University of South Carolina
2010 Shaw,Josh Presbyterian College
2010 Redding,Alex North Greenville University
2010 Huffman,Craig North Greenville University
2010 Wolfinger,Parker Washington&Lee University
2010 Wise,Dent Coastal Carolina University

2010 Allen,Jordan Francis Marion University
2010 Anderson,Mariana Presbyterian College
2010 Cucchi,Nichole Clemson University
2010 Hert,Morgan Clemson University
2010 Hirt,Kristie Lander University
2010 Lewis,Allison Charleston Southern University
2010 Lisson,Brooke High Point University
2010 Miller,Becca Presbyterian College
2010 Moore,Catherine Furman University
2010 Polson, Megan Wofford College
2010 Smith,Ellie University of Alabama
2010 Urig,Chloe Charleston Southern University
2010 Waters,Allie Anderson University
2010 Waldon,Mackenzie Iowa State University
2010 Toole,Anna Catawba College

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

"preferred walk-on spot" ...that's funny... that's not a recruit...that's, come to college at your own expense...

just because I'm still laughing and I want to keep the joke going, what's the difference between a "preferred walk-on spot" and a "walk on spot"..

You guys are a pain in the neck. You think you're being funny picking at some clueless coach, but you're also diminishing the accomplishments of a bunch of kids who will play college sports was walk-ons. The term my daughters coach used for her was "recruited walk-on". Recruited, preferred...whatever. She will play college soccer next year and isn't that the point?

I don't give a rip what you think and my daughter doesn't read this forum, but other kids do and you are both insensitively crapping on them.

Grow up.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 02/06/10 03:27 PM.
world cup
world cup
Daddy,

Maybe it is just semantics, but I would say the term "invited" walk-on or "recruited" walk-on would differentiate a player who was recruited, from a walk-on who just showed up and tried out.

I never heard the term "preferred walk-on" but if that is the term that most college soccer programs are using nowadays, then I learned something new this week.

I'm not pooh-poohing walk-ons. I played D3 college soccer, so technically, we were all "recruited walk-ons" and regular walk-ons.

World Cup
OP Offline
World Cup

North Myrtle Beach's Alan Gore (suit/tie) signed with Wofford College. Joining Alan are his NMB teammates and first year Head Coach Jason Mueller (tie) in front of the WPDE television station.

Goal
Goal
Where do they play high school?

Quote:

From the CESA web page.
YEAR Player College
2010 Hurst,Ryan Wofford College
2010 Wyer,Hunter University of South Carolina
2010 Huffman,Craig North Greenville University
2010 Wise,Dent Coastal Carolina University

2010 Hert,Morgan Clemson University
2010 Hirt,Kristie Lander University
2010 Polson, Megan Wofford College
2010 Urig,Chloe Charleston Southern University

Last edited by 202677; 02/06/10 09:17 PM.

Victory Starts Here!
O
throw in
throw in
O
Midlandskid: Please, let me clarify. USC has no female recruits from SC

goal
goal
From the CESA web page. High Schools of kids that I know of.
YEAR Player College
2010 Hurst,Ryan Wofford College- J.L. Mann I think
2010 Wyer,Hunter University of South Carolina - Southside Christian
2010 Huffman,Craig North Greenville University- Southside Christian
2010 Wise,Dent Coastal Carolina University- T.L. Hanna

2010 Hert,Morgan Clemson University- Maudlin High School
2010 Hirt,Kristie Lander University- Mauldin High School
2010 Polson, Megan Wofford College-Dorman
2010 Urig,Chloe Charleston Southern University -Wando

I think those are accurate high schools but correct if I am wrong.

Joe Siatkowski Mauldin Soccer I fear no evil
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
Quote:

I guess I should have used my words better. An invited walk on and a preferred walk on are the same thing. When the coach contacts the player numerous times and invites her to walk on because he has no more scholarships, this would still be seen as recruiting.

And Big Daddy...I am no clueless coach.

world cup
world cup
Invited walk on = Preferred walk on = Recruited walk on.

I'll buy that. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Hurst66; 02/06/10 11:27 PM.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Greenwood Boys who signed LOI

Emerald High School soccer player Hunter Riddle signs with North Greenville University

Greenwood high School soccer player Trent Uldrick signs with lander university

Good luck guys!!!

Last edited by soccertennis; 02/06/10 11:49 PM.
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
All this chatter is taking away from the fact that Uncle Buck made a completely false statement about CofC not recruiting SC girls. It was wrong and irresponsible to type without research and facts. Look at their roster and the caliber of the SC players on it.

U
throw in
throw in
U
food for thought - look at other college sports of sc colleges. check out the rosters for football, basketball, baseball, softball, track. sc colleges in these sports are full of sc athletes at all sc colleges. yet in soccer it's extremely low or non-existant. why is this.
is it the fault of
-ODP
-Clubs
-High School Coaches
-College Coaches
-Parent
??????

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Probably because SC doesn't produce a lot of D-I caliber women's soccer players. Everyone knows SC is behind in Region III and the United States.

But CofC still has eight players listed on their roster and with really good pedigree. Considering how few are produced to actually contribute for a D-I program, that's a good percentage in Charleston. Contrary to your statement, CofC might actually be a good program for a top SC player.

O
throw in
throw in
O
But this year SC has several D-1 caliber female players that are not playing at SC schools. I used South Carolina as an example because they have our state's name in their title.

U
throw in
throw in
U
i was referring to this year....now comment.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

I guess I should have used my words better. An invited walk on and a preferred walk on are the same thing. When the coach contacts the player numerous times and invites her to walk on because he has no more scholarships, this would still be seen as recruiting.

Sorry.....I could have chosen my words better as well.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry.....I could have chosen my words better as well.

Ackkk! Hackkk! Ackkk!
Ah, excuse Achmed why he hacks up a fur-ball

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
S
throw in
throw in
S
I think kyle meant for this post to be for players 2010 National signing day, take the chatter to another post.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Hey Small Soda Man, what was it you said to the Texas dude? Something about "Bite me".....

Uh, no wait....I could have said that better too. Remember what was written on the side of the cake at the end of Animal House? Yeah.....thats it.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Hey Small Soda Man, what was it you said to the Texas dude? Something about "Bite me".....

Uh, no wait....I could have said that better too. Remember what was written on the side of the cake at the end of Animal House? Yeah.....thats it.

Man....Achmed just loves this site

But keeping with the subject....
First off Congrats to all signies...Good job!!!
Considering only 9-10 scholarships available (vs 85 for football...but that's another subject),what kind of % of actual tuition can most these kids expect to get?
Achmed have watched the skill level of many of these kids, and if they were as good at football as they are at soccer, they would get a full ride.
Should Achmed be teaching his little kicking Achmeds to start practicing field goals?

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
world cup
world cup
With 85 scholarships, I guess a major college footaball coach doesn't have to "split" too many of them. I imagine most guys get a full ride.

But does the player that gets that 85th scholarship, or the "85th man on the team", ever sniff the field?

Brace
Brace
The College of Charleston's recruiting class was mentioned prominently along with Akron, Harvard, and Wake Forest by TopDrawerSoccer.com -- Recruiting Classes

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
bench
bench
id like to point out the out of all the signing day pics, Joey Demare's is well done; especially the chapin color coordination between all the family members present. Now thats some great family support.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Congratulations to all those who will be pursuing collegiate soccer! It was my pleasure to have reffed nearly all of you and maybe I'll get the chance to do so in the near future!

The Infamous
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Congratulations to Brookland-Cayce senior Greg Stone on his signing with Newberry College today at BCHS. Stone, a defender, has been a four-year starter for the Bearcats and is a tri-captain for the second time.

S
goal
goal
S
Congratulations Greg! Coach Okpodu will teach you even more about soccer!

H
bench
bench
H
Heather Hale, White Knoll High School - Spartanburg Methodist College

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Tillman Fennell (Wren HS/Tri-County Soccer Club) - Limestone College

world cup
world cup
Macy Simpson (Nation Ford) - Limestone College.

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
Jon Faile, Clover High School - Emmanuel College

brace
brace
Great for Jon Jon he is a great kid who plays bigger than he is! Never saw him dogging it on the field either, has only one speed, GO!

G
bench
bench
G
Yannick Fischbach J.L.Mann signed LOI with Queens University in Charlotte,NC

S
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
S
I will send your compliments chief.

K
corner kick