Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
My personal belief is it depends on the player. If the player is on a classic level or rec team during club ball season then plays on a high school team that has a fair amount of challenge, premier and even USSF Academy team players one of two things will most likely happen during high school season - they will get better because they are seeing a higher caliber ball than they see during club season or they will get totally frustrated because the level is beyond them.

If the player is on a Premier or USSF Acadmey team chances are they will not get as much out of high school season because they are facing lesser competition than they do during club season. The only good thing that can come out of this is it allows them to work on skills they may have had a little trouble with during club season.

I would think it goes without argument that premier or USSF Academy teams in this state would have little trouble with most high school teams in this state with the exception of 3 or 4 top notch programs.

The bottom line is premier or academy teams in this state are pretty much made up of the best players from many high schools throughout the state. When these guys practice together(even though only 2 or 3 times a week) they are bound to get more out of it than 5 days a week against lower level competition. They are the best this state has to offer and they push each other to get better. If you've never seen an academy practice I can promise you it can be intense. There is no a way a classic level player is going to push an academy level player to get better during high school season. On the other hand it is possible for a premier/academy player to push a classic level player to get better.

H
goal
OP Offline
goal
H
Though there have been some good points made as to the good in HS soccer, I think the answer to the specific question I posed is an unqualified "yes." If the top players spent January-May preparing for and playing highly competitive games, whether in the Development Academy, Premier League, or Challenge League, rather than playing HS, their development would be enhanced. Mind you, that is not the same thing as saying HS soccer has no value, or even that the top players should abandon it in favor of club if that was an option. It does mean, to my mind, that we should at least consider the fact that a HS interregnum is inconsistent with US Soccer's overarching plan for improving the quality of American soccer.

(My comments are in the context of boys' soccer - though I don't know that there is any reason they wouldn't apply equally to girls).

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
so...all of the high level club players that go to SA to play for their countries this summer will be taking a step back too?

throw in
throw in
HeTakes…nope, you're reading too much into what I said, taking out of context and making too many assumptions. For one, I said "high school season" impedes, not "coaches." Bebe sums it up pretty nicely.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Some players who play at the Academy level almost look to high school for a break. The academy teams take a break in their season for the players to play high school ball. Some say they like high school because they are relieved from all the pressure of academy and represent their school for a couple months.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
You could put any sport in the title of this thread and the answer would probably be yes..

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

You could put any sport in the title of this thread and the answer would probably be yes..

Funny you mention this - I was talking with a friend about this the other day. Seems every major youth sport but football has "alternative to high school" leagues. Basketball has AAU; Baseball has winter leagues,travel ball,legion ball and soccer of course club ball.

Seems the only thing football offers is camps and combines and most of those are for skill postion players.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Funny you mention this - I was talking with a friend about this the other day. Seems every major youth sport but football has "alternative to high school" leagues. Basketball has AAU; Baseball has winter leagues,travel ball,legion ball and soccer of course club ball.

Seems the only thing football offers is camps and combines and most of those are for skill postion players.

probably more to do with funding than anything else. Can you imagine how much it would cost to run a football club with traveling teams? You couldn't do it on 500/player unless you sold tickets. Plus, every player would have to own their equipment

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Oh - I agree with the football expense. I was just pointing out all the "alternative to high school" sports progams that are available. Certainly were not that many when I was a kid. I guess all these are making kids specialize in "a" sport and pretty much led to the demise of the three sport athlete in high school.

throw in
throw in
High school takes up 3 months, Club takes up 9. Surely if Club is so much better than HS, the good will outweigh the bad. If most hs coaches are club coaches, that means they have to (or suppose to) be licensed. This makes it a more even playing field for hs.
The thing I like about high school is it allows communities to compete against each other and see who is best. You could make the same argument about club, but club is more selective and allows kids to come and play from other parts of the state. Club is directly reflected in the high school standings. Irmo (CUFC), Northwestern (Discoveries) and anyone else you want to add.
Also, I think you see club soccer helping schools who don't have a soccer program. Look at Midland Valley, they have a few kids who play for GA/SC Bulls. Midland Valley's soccer program was started for those players this year.
Hs can promote Club soccer. Look at Airport. A few years ago they had maybe 7 kids playing club and they were struggling in HS league. Now they have almost their whole roster playing and they are going to be competing for region/state. Their coach is a club coach and I'm sure he is promoting his club.
So no, I don't think HS soccer impedes the development of top players. Danny Cates was a national pool player and he carried DF his senior year.

Laces out DAN!!!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard