Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
Quote:

High School teams practice 5-6 days a week.
Clubs practice 2 maybe 3 times a week.
How can more touches on the ball impede someones development??

I have had this discussion a lot lately with club coaches discouraging kids from playing middle school ball. They say that the kids that leave our practices and arrive at theirs dont have the intensity that is needed. I agree that more touches is better for the kid.

The other arguement is that club kids play 37 games plus the 2 practices a week is too much for the kids on top of the school commitment. I was told that there are studies showing how physically it is bad for them.

I wonder how the Blythewood Middle girls did last year with club since that is what most of them were. Were there any extra injuries or fatigue due to them playing school and club.

Goal
Goal
I have had this discussion a lot lately with club coaches discouraging kids from playing middle school ball.

Of course the club coaches discourage kids from playing middle school ball, this is where they derive their personal income from, so of course they are going to down-play a kid playing soccer for their high school JV or middle school team.

Victory Starts Here!
brace
brace
Funny but follow the money seems to be the answer in life!? Not that every coach thinks of the money first, but you have to admit some do! BY "some" I can in no way quantify a fair percentage. Nor would I want to out of respect for the many great coaches I have met, and fear that I might not like what I find!

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
So can someone shed some light as to the model in England? How do the youth there grow up in relation to club ball vs school ball etc.?

brace
brace
Not sure about the Blythewood Middle girls, but I do know about the Gold Hill Middle school girls, who went undefeated after the Irmo preseason tournament, missed the semi's at Irmo on a PK shot out to break a tie.

10 seventh graders (Eighth graders this year) who are on the same club team had a very good season in NC classic soccer. (NC classic is SC's challenge level) The team as a whole stayed very healthy with only a couple girls having missed any playing time and both should be playing this spring. All are staying at the middle school level as 8th graders to play together.

In my opinion they seem to take great pride in their club play at school and consider their school team an extension of the club team. Does take a lot of commitment though! Which I also think of as another great lesson for them as well!

C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
So you are saying that your observations are that there doesnt appear to be a negative effect on them as players or health wise?

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

So no, I don't think HS soccer impedes the development of top players. Danny Cates was a national pool player and he carried DF his senior year.

Fair enough. We differ on this but I respectfully disagree. I too like high school soccer allowing communities to compete against each other - but that is not the topic of this thread. Once again, I believe for the majority of your classic level players high school season does not necessarily impede their development. However; for your top level premier/academy players I personally believe high school ball may impede their development because of the level of competition not being as strong.(Particularly at high school practice). If you look at the SC United U16 and U 18 rosters they are pretty much teams full of the best players from high schools in the midlands and lower state. (I realize CESA gets some top level players from other parts of the state and SC United gets some from other parts of the state too). For most of these top level players they are constantly being pushed if they want playing time. Sure it may be presure filled but they know it is what they will be facing at the college level and they better learn to deal with it. As far as the Danny Cates issue not sure what him carrying his team at Dutch Fork has to do with anything. The real question there is did he reach his full potential in high school or could he have even been better yet had he played for his Lexington club team year round? That's like saying is Joe Amon from Summerville High better off at the Bradenton residency program or at Summerville High? For goodness sake we better hope Bradenton or the National team is in some more kind of trouble).

Does this mean they don't enjoy high school ball? Certainly not - most I know will tell you they very much enjoy playing for their school. But once again - that is not the question of this thread.

Goal
Goal
What would be interesting is to ask club coaches who don't coach HS for their opinion on the issue.

S
goal
goal
S
Ultimately it comes down to the player does it not? Doesn't everyone of the top soccer players in the state play high school soccer in some manner? It looks like more and more players from our small state are representing the soccer community well. It was said earlier these same players are participating in promoting soccer in the state.

Mr. Miyagi would agree that mental health associated with playing for ones school is immeasureable. The confidence and pride are something that is difficult to observe in club soccer. Oh, and the kids are just plain having fun on the pitch.

goal
goal
Notso, that's an easy one to answer, as I've heard it numerous times from numerous "club-only" coaches. For the most part, they hate it. And most of the reasons have already been mentioned.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard