Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Here's an idea, have the marching band play at half-time of soccer games and have cheerleaders too. God knows that the band/cheerleader parents could care less about the game. They come to see their kids. Add 100 - 125 band and 10 - 20 cheerleaders and muliply by 2 (2 parents). That would be between 200 - 250 more people at every soccer game. Multiply that by the amount of home soccer games in a year. soccer would make alot of money seeing as how the coaches as how the coaches don't make $100,000/year. Can't do that though, it would hurt football. Also, why not make lacrosse a fall sport?? There is only football.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Here's an idea, have the marching band play at half-time of soccer games and have cheerleaders too. God knows that the band/cheerleader parents could care less about the game. They come to see their kids. Add 100 - 125 band and 10 - 20 cheerleaders and muliply by 2 (2 parents). That would be between 200 - 250 more people at every soccer game. Multiply that by the amount of home soccer games in a year. soccer would make alot of money seeing as how the coaches as how the coaches don't make $100,000/year. Can't do that though, it would hurt football. Also, why not make lacrosse a fall sport?? There is only football.

I know of a coach that asked for the cheerleaders to come and cheer at a soccer match. The response from the cheerleading coach: "Our season is long enough"

brace
brace
Perhaps the most extensive and informational post I have seen!
So there is a bias in the system for football! What can be done to fix the problem? I understand the limiting contact and working up after three days for the more physically violent sport but surely there could be some type of accommodation made for soccer.

The rules for players and coaches practicing do seem a little confusing. I remember a few year ago some one tried to torpedo NWHS via the coach and school grounds rule because Discoveries was using school facilities for club practice. I think it ended up costing someone a fine.

Like the band idea though, could split concession between boosters (band/athletic). They could play after goals, home team scores only, of course!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
And I'm sure the band will come up with a reason too. God forbid they have to coach the WHOLE year!!! Seems like a way to make money without spending any.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
brace
brace
You left out the boy/girl friend math which means many more kids coming to see their friends.

Also need to be smarter about scheduling, make the regional games be on Friday night when ever possible as these are the big turn out games! Fort Mill and North Western play on Thurs and Tues nights this year! Arguably this best game in their region and most students will have school the next day, which for some means no game! Yes I know scheduling is like trying to herd cats but as they say on ESPN Com-on Man!

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Time to Re-Up

I
goal
goal
I
Even worse than all of this, have enough kids to make a Varsity, Jv and c team, but not have the backing of the school to do so...

brace
brace
Quote:

Even worse than all of this, have enough kids to make a Varsity, Jv and c team, but not have the backing of the school to do so...

That IS bad.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Given the system we have, the way to move soccer toward football's status in high school would (IMHO) be to encourage a training season in the fall like football has in the spring. My understanding is there a rule about school coaches and players on club teams as well as out of season practice.
I wonder how these rules compare to spring/summer training rules for football?
Do they not have a spring football Jamboree in many areas? How about fall soccer Jamboree?

Also here in the upstate they have both 7th and 8th grade football teams, while most schools have no soccer in middle school! Looks like Rock Hill schools will be moving to combined 7/8th grade team next year, but still no soccer. I think over the next few years the schools that have had middle school soccer will start to show some program improvements, going on third year for Clover and Fort Mill school Dist's. They even get to play some smaller school JV teams.
While I know the gods of HS football want no competition for facilities I would think there could be a way to find time and place for increased playing/practice for HS soccer teams.
As a final thought, I have always been told HS football is a money maker for schools. Just imagine what the profit margin for the lower overhead sport of soccer would be if they could grow the popularity of the HS game. Not to mention that the fields would be generating revenue in spring and fall!

im not sure how accurate this is, i do not have much time but i will give a little insight on this.

they have a superbowl game every year, and the superbowl is a baby compared to the world cup final.

i guess we can compare the super bowl to the european champions league final. im sure the european champions league final is pound by pound the big winner in term of ratings.

now, dont get me wrong, american football is a monster when it comes to profit. we are talking of a 30 minutes game with about 3 hours of commericials, this is huge in term of profitability.

i can see the superbowl making more money than the champions league final, althought i may be wrong.

soccer would slap any other sport in terms of rating, the sport is huge everywhere but the usa, but is rapidly increasing, espn spent who knows how much money to get the world cup rights. manchester united and liverpool are owned by americans.

that being said.

not only high school soccer should go elite.

middle school soccer should be borned and it needs to be created with an elite system too.

soccer could learn a lot from american sports, sp football.

if we cannot get cheerleaders to soccer, well lets get the dance team, hot chicks always help.

the band is not a bad idea also, the point is the get people involved.

pep rallies?

you said the magic word and nobody ever descriminates that word. money, soccer could be just as huge or bigger than football in the long term when it comes to profit.

you just have to make sure you follow the same path as american football, having a good game but making money at the same time (commercials and all that) and this is somethign most futbol nations failed to do. the game is great but they have little ideas of how to make profit out of the game. something americans know by heart ; )

i have to go to class.

peace

Club of the century.
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Alma,

Who are you? What is your background? Did you play HS soccer? If so, where?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard