Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#129369 02/11/10 12:59 PM
C
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
C
Does anyone have a list of the Girl's Player of the Year winner and their High School and/or Club from the past 10 years?. Possibly what college attended, attending, or committed.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I have a partial list but don't know any further back than 2004. Hope this helps.

2004 Kimmy Gillespie Mauldin GFC USC
2005 Julie Bolt West Ashley ? ? Clemson
2006 Blakely Mattern Mann CESA USC
2007 Kira Campbell Lexington CESA USC
2008 Kira Campbell Lexington CESA USC
2009 Sarah Schaidle Mauldin CESA CofC

D
Goal
Goal
D
These are the rest of the players posted at the Gatorade site for Gatorade SC POY list (most recognized POY award in SC)

1998 Alison Sanders Summerville
1999 Missy Keller Hilton Head
2000 Elizabeth Metherell Eastside
2001 Claire Wigfall Wando
2002 Stacy Simpson Richland NE
2003 Lindsey Beam Riverside

O
throw in
throw in
O
Wow! With its strong winning tradition, I am surprised that there are no Fort Mill players on this list! With NC being so close to the border, many players from the York County area play Region III for NC teams and club in NC. Perhaps, it is time for the GPOY to come from York County!

brace
brace
Gonna have to win it all to get enough attention on this corner of the state. The sight line for SC soccer starts in Greenville runs through Columiba and ends in Charleston. Got players signed to UK and LSU this year and I am sure there are a few others who could be in the running here...but well weak HS region (overall) and no solid club organization (on the SC side at least) means an uphill battle for YORK players.

brace
brace
History, and tradition. Everyone wants the glory, and there are players from everywhere who could have THE YEAR and be POY. But I was raised to remember that this has been going on for a long time, and you have to respect that. The program at Riverside has been around since high school soccer started (didn't they win it for X years straight at the beginning?). Eastside (Andy Robinson), Mauldin, Dorman, etc. The Greenville feeder system has allowed kids who want to be unbelievable to do so through the role models, coaches, programs, CESA, St. Giles......and oh, yeah, Christ Church.

And then there is Bishop England, who wins everything forever. Wando...ditto. Same opportunity for kids there to be POY.

Now comes Rock Hill, Fort Mill, etc. Doesn't surprise me one bit. Guys like Dom, Cesar, Hurst, and the forerunners, make this stuff possible. There are some pretty special players who have come from that area, and without dissing anyone I believe that Enzo was the one young man I have enjoyed watching playing more than anyone else. Because of the kind of kid and player he was, but also because of the team that was built with him as a part. World Class.

I just think it is special, and fun, to watch South Carolina soccer, boys and girls. To me, we have a thousand POY's. Give them all a trophy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
How does a POY get selected? Do they have to be nominated by someone first?

O
throw in
throw in
O
There are skilled and talented players in York County that should be in the running for this. They have earned this consideration for the past several years, not only in high school ball, but, with club and ODP, too. They are just as deserving as the Mauldin, Wando, Bishop England, Eastside, Dorman, TL Hanna, all the 2A and 3A schools, etc. players. I am just saying let's look at the whole state when this player is chosen.

O
throw in
throw in
O
I am just saying: Player of the Year should be the best player in the state, regardless, of where their team finishes and what region they play in.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I agree with you, Observer. Like 2006 GPOY Blakely Mattern who played 3A at Mann and in her Jr. and Sr. years never saw the semi-finals during playoffs, but was deservedly recognized as GPOY.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard