throw in
G
way to early to be even discussing POY

Running with the big dogs
O
throw in
throw in
O
I disagree for this main reason: The POY may not necessarily be on the state championship team.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Clarification: All-Region, All-State and POY honors are based on performances during the current high school year only. A player's accomplishments during her club season are not to be considered. POY is a high school award. Therefore Go USC is right: Way too early to discuss POY '09/'10.

Live and Learn: The POY is usually selected from the All-State team. Members of the committee selecting All-State change, but instructions remain the same:http://www.scsoccer.com/09AllStateCommittees.pdf

Unfortunately, there are coaches who sometimes don't nominate deserving players for All-State and therefore their players can't become POY.

I
goal
goal
I
From reviewing the all state players of the past, if your team did not win 12 or more games you really had no shot at being an all state performer.

It seems to have more to do with the team, than the player...

If the NW gentleman, who is now a Tarheel, only won, 2 or 3 games a year, at some non soccer school, would have he been named ALL STATE? I really doubt it... He would have in reality been the BEST player in the state... but could not make the all state team based on reviewing the recipents of the past. It is possible to be on the wrong team, or live in the wrong District, to get the higher levels of recognition.

Michael Jordon moved from Pender County, to Laney High School for a reason.

And yes, it is WAY too early to talk about the POY.

L
Goal
Goal
L
very hard for a great player on a bad team to get POY honors. even harder for a great player when his/her coach doesn't nominate. seems there could be a better way to select POY.

I
goal
goal
I
A strong willed, vocal coach helps.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

way to early to be even discussing POY

Why is it to early?
Only a handful of players have a realistic chance of being the POY. My money is on a player from Fort Mill.

I
goal
goal
I
Then why do you play the games? If the final conclusion is known, why do any of it?

Only a few? Of the thousands of kids... only a few... it must be based on more than just this season then.

brace
brace
Logic dictates that players who have played well in the past will do so again. Those who have not reached as high in the past may acheive greatness now but they will have to outshine a player everyone already knows to be great. Yes it is all about how you do this year, but... expectations are set based on past play.
If a player was a superstar only during thier senior season and another was a superstar for say 3 seasons and they are both about even that final year who wins?

In a way it is the same argument as someone who plays for a winning program, they get the glory and wins thus they standout. There is a reason the winner often comes from a top playoff team, more games; more wins; more visiability.

As for the player from FM she has as good shot a shot as any as all the right factors are there, just has to face the high expectations already there!

I
goal
goal
I
POY = Player of the YEAR... to me that is year, not my main issue though.

The whole system recognizes teams more than players... that is my main point...

no real arguement here...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard