Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

And yea, that Charlie Ward fellow, who, was supposedly the best college player his senior year, and did not even get drafted to the NFL... jab, sorry again

Yeah - that's because he was busy making millions in the NBA

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Is the POY typically an offensive player? Have any defenders ever received POY?

brace
brace
Also the best college player is not always going to make it in the NFL, but that does not mean they were not the best player that year! Look the only two time winner he was generally a bust in the NFL but great in college!

I
goal
goal
I
If you guys remember history, he did not even get drafted, that is why he went with the NBA.

world cup
world cup
If I remember correctly, the two guys he played with in the backcourt at FSU, went on to have fairly long and successful careers in the NBA. Bob Sura and Sam Cassell. Ward's legacy should be that he made the players around him even better.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
And those guys swept my Tarheels, their first year in the ACC... Ouch

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Not sure about the validity but this is from Wikipedia:

Charlie Ward, Jr. is a three sports retired American professional NBA basketball player, college football Heisman Trophy winner, Davey O'Brien Award winner and a Major League Baseball draftee...... Though Ward did not play baseball in college, he was drafted as a pitcher by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1993 free agent draft and by the New York Yankees in 1994........Upon graduation, Ward stated he was undecided about professional basketball or football and made it clear that he would not consider playing in the NFL unless selected in the first round of the 1994 NFL Draft. Ward proclaimed that he "deserved to" be a first rounder. Ward’s mother reported that the family was told he "was probably a third-to fifth-round pick."......Ward was not selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. Instead of pursuing a career as a football player in the NFL, and having been chosen in the 1st round (26th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft by the New York Knicks, he began his career in the NBA as a point guard. An inquiry was made during Ward's rookie year with the Knicks to become the backup quarterback for Joe Montana of the Kansas City Chiefs, but Ward declined......

I
goal
goal
I
I searched Charlie Ward, Heisman flops... Espn had an article about him never being drafted in the NFL...

Having said that he was a great athlete, multiple sport and all. He gave my guys the treatment in B-Ball.

My point was picking the best one player is a crap shoot. You could discuss for days or years, just like this thing about Charlie has gone on. Half the folks in Football and soccer play defense, but many, many times the offensive players get picked... Why? because the stats are easier to keep up with. It is that simple.

Everyone says defense win championships, but the best players are always offensive players? Does not add up to me. Look at Pittsburg with and without their safety, the one with the great hair. They are nothing, without him. He was the best player in the league! Hey, but I like Defense.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Agree. Plus it's so subjective. Also, I'm sure like everything else in the world politics plays a huge part from who makes all-stars in little league all the way to the MLB all star game. It's in everything!

R
throw in
throw in
R
Zen
I agree with everything you said about #15 Stephanie DeVita for Hillcrest. She carried her team as a freshman and is doing the same thing this year.But I think you left out her biggest asset. She knows how to finish. She is great at creating space for herself then takes that extra split second to make sure she gets off a quality shot. This along with all the skills you mentioned makes her one of the top players in the state.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard