Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#129369 02/11/10 12:59 PM
C
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
C
Does anyone have a list of the Girl's Player of the Year winner and their High School and/or Club from the past 10 years?. Possibly what college attended, attending, or committed.

A
goal kick
goal kick
A
I have a partial list but don't know any further back than 2004. Hope this helps.

2004 Kimmy Gillespie Mauldin GFC USC
2005 Julie Bolt West Ashley ? ? Clemson
2006 Blakely Mattern Mann CESA USC
2007 Kira Campbell Lexington CESA USC
2008 Kira Campbell Lexington CESA USC
2009 Sarah Schaidle Mauldin CESA CofC

D
Goal
Goal
D
These are the rest of the players posted at the Gatorade site for Gatorade SC POY list (most recognized POY award in SC)

1998 Alison Sanders Summerville
1999 Missy Keller Hilton Head
2000 Elizabeth Metherell Eastside
2001 Claire Wigfall Wando
2002 Stacy Simpson Richland NE
2003 Lindsey Beam Riverside

O
throw in
throw in
O
Wow! With its strong winning tradition, I am surprised that there are no Fort Mill players on this list! With NC being so close to the border, many players from the York County area play Region III for NC teams and club in NC. Perhaps, it is time for the GPOY to come from York County!

brace
brace
Gonna have to win it all to get enough attention on this corner of the state. The sight line for SC soccer starts in Greenville runs through Columiba and ends in Charleston. Got players signed to UK and LSU this year and I am sure there are a few others who could be in the running here...but well weak HS region (overall) and no solid club organization (on the SC side at least) means an uphill battle for YORK players.

brace
brace
History, and tradition. Everyone wants the glory, and there are players from everywhere who could have THE YEAR and be POY. But I was raised to remember that this has been going on for a long time, and you have to respect that. The program at Riverside has been around since high school soccer started (didn't they win it for X years straight at the beginning?). Eastside (Andy Robinson), Mauldin, Dorman, etc. The Greenville feeder system has allowed kids who want to be unbelievable to do so through the role models, coaches, programs, CESA, St. Giles......and oh, yeah, Christ Church.

And then there is Bishop England, who wins everything forever. Wando...ditto. Same opportunity for kids there to be POY.

Now comes Rock Hill, Fort Mill, etc. Doesn't surprise me one bit. Guys like Dom, Cesar, Hurst, and the forerunners, make this stuff possible. There are some pretty special players who have come from that area, and without dissing anyone I believe that Enzo was the one young man I have enjoyed watching playing more than anyone else. Because of the kind of kid and player he was, but also because of the team that was built with him as a part. World Class.

I just think it is special, and fun, to watch South Carolina soccer, boys and girls. To me, we have a thousand POY's. Give them all a trophy.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
How does a POY get selected? Do they have to be nominated by someone first?

O
throw in
throw in
O
There are skilled and talented players in York County that should be in the running for this. They have earned this consideration for the past several years, not only in high school ball, but, with club and ODP, too. They are just as deserving as the Mauldin, Wando, Bishop England, Eastside, Dorman, TL Hanna, all the 2A and 3A schools, etc. players. I am just saying let's look at the whole state when this player is chosen.

O
throw in
throw in
O
I am just saying: Player of the Year should be the best player in the state, regardless, of where their team finishes and what region they play in.

D
Goal
Goal
D
I agree with you, Observer. Like 2006 GPOY Blakely Mattern who played 3A at Mann and in her Jr. and Sr. years never saw the semi-finals during playoffs, but was deservedly recognized as GPOY.

G
throw in
throw in
G
way to early to be even discussing POY

Running with the big dogs
O
throw in
throw in
O
I disagree for this main reason: The POY may not necessarily be on the state championship team.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Clarification: All-Region, All-State and POY honors are based on performances during the current high school year only. A player's accomplishments during her club season are not to be considered. POY is a high school award. Therefore Go USC is right: Way too early to discuss POY '09/'10.

Live and Learn: The POY is usually selected from the All-State team. Members of the committee selecting All-State change, but instructions remain the same:http://www.scsoccer.com/09AllStateCommittees.pdf

Unfortunately, there are coaches who sometimes don't nominate deserving players for All-State and therefore their players can't become POY.

I
goal
goal
I
From reviewing the all state players of the past, if your team did not win 12 or more games you really had no shot at being an all state performer.

It seems to have more to do with the team, than the player...

If the NW gentleman, who is now a Tarheel, only won, 2 or 3 games a year, at some non soccer school, would have he been named ALL STATE? I really doubt it... He would have in reality been the BEST player in the state... but could not make the all state team based on reviewing the recipents of the past. It is possible to be on the wrong team, or live in the wrong District, to get the higher levels of recognition.

Michael Jordon moved from Pender County, to Laney High School for a reason.

And yes, it is WAY too early to talk about the POY.

L
Goal
Goal
L
very hard for a great player on a bad team to get POY honors. even harder for a great player when his/her coach doesn't nominate. seems there could be a better way to select POY.

I
goal
goal
I
A strong willed, vocal coach helps.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Why is it to early?
Only a handful of players have a realistic chance of being the POY. My money is on a player from Fort Mill.

I
goal
goal
I
Then why do you play the games? If the final conclusion is known, why do any of it?

Only a few? Of the thousands of kids... only a few... it must be based on more than just this season then.

brace
brace
Logic dictates that players who have played well in the past will do so again. Those who have not reached as high in the past may acheive greatness now but they will have to outshine a player everyone already knows to be great. Yes it is all about how you do this year, but... expectations are set based on past play.
If a player was a superstar only during thier senior season and another was a superstar for say 3 seasons and they are both about even that final year who wins?

In a way it is the same argument as someone who plays for a winning program, they get the glory and wins thus they standout. There is a reason the winner often comes from a top playoff team, more games; more wins; more visiability.

As for the player from FM she has as good shot a shot as any as all the right factors are there, just has to face the high expectations already there!

I
goal
goal
I
POY = Player of the YEAR... to me that is year, not my main issue though.

The whole system recognizes teams more than players... that is my main point...

no real arguement here...

brace
brace
Well it is "just High school soccer" after all. No one sees every game or gets to DVR the SCHSSOCCER channel every week!! If you made the playoffs last year you got seen by more people and they will be looking for you this year.
Even in one of the most team oriented sports, teams tend to be the best because of just a few players and amoung those there will almost be one you can look at and say he/she can and does carry the team more than the others.
So yes I agree with your point and yes just like the Heisman players at the big winning programs will always have the advantage, as well as upper classmen(women)

I
goal
goal
I
Right it is just High School. Didn't a SC Gamecock get a Heisman, there went that arguement! No just kidding. I just really think awards are too political. My opinion only, and do not want to keep the arguement going, just wanted to land the SC jab... sorry

I
goal
goal
I
And yea, that Charlie Ward fellow, who, was supposedly the best college player his senior year, and did not even get drafted to the NFL... jab, sorry again

My point is it is not nearly as accurate as those who want to discuss it, will ever admit.

And the guy who lost American Idol last year, really was not better than the guy he lost to, are you kidding me. Sorry again, he must not have been the best because he did not get the AWARD...

I
goal
goal
I
I guess I did want to keep the arguement going... after all. Hope your pick does well.

brace
brace
ZEN if you keep answering yourself you are going to end up in a padded room with a self hugging jacket

'All politics is local.'
Thomas P. (Tip) O'Neill, Jr., former Speaker of the House (actually told to him by his father)

I
goal
goal
I
see you there... No, just kidding... Hope your pick does as well as you wish for.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Why is it to early?
Only a handful of players have a realistic chance of being the POY. My money is on a player from Fort Mill.

I don't always agree with Sweet Feet, but I do respect his opinion. He's certainly on the right track with his preseason prediction.

This weekend, Fort Mill senior Taylor Parker threw her hat in the ring for Girls 4A POY. On Saturday night, against the #1 ranked Independent school from Georgia, powerhouse First Presbyterian Day, Taylor tallied a hat trick to lead the Lady Jackets to a 3-0 victory. All three goals were beautiful, with the first being the "goal of the tournament".

Sunday morning, Taylor scored two more goals against SC 3A front runner Hilton Head Island in Fort Mill's 3-1 victory over the Lady Seahawks.

Five goals in two games.....against two very good teams. Nice weekend.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
I
goal
goal
I
Congrats on the good play.... She has actually done some thing. This thread was started a month ago. It was too early then, maybe not now. The best player we have faced is the centermid from Hillcrest. I will get to see Dorman and Mauldin this week... so, that may change. Number 15 for Hillcrest, tall, fast, heads well, handles the ball well and uses some nice passes to get others involved.

world cup
world cup
Zen,

I've seen Stephanie (only a sophomore I believe) against top notch competition at the CESA Combine and at the USC womens soccer invitational camp in January. I haven't seen her play for Hillcrest but she is a phenomenal player and also worthy of being in the discussion.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
K
Kickoff
Kickoff
K
Taylor is a great player!! although I think Madeline Felinbaum (sp?) from Wando should also be looked at. She is there tall center mid, who is very good in the air.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

And yea, that Charlie Ward fellow, who, was supposedly the best college player his senior year, and did not even get drafted to the NFL... jab, sorry again

Yeah - that's because he was busy making millions in the NBA

L
goal kick
goal kick
L
Is the POY typically an offensive player? Have any defenders ever received POY?

brace
brace
Also the best college player is not always going to make it in the NFL, but that does not mean they were not the best player that year! Look the only two time winner he was generally a bust in the NFL but great in college!

I
goal
goal
I
If you guys remember history, he did not even get drafted, that is why he went with the NBA.

world cup
world cup
If I remember correctly, the two guys he played with in the backcourt at FSU, went on to have fairly long and successful careers in the NBA. Bob Sura and Sam Cassell. Ward's legacy should be that he made the players around him even better.

I
goal
goal
I
And those guys swept my Tarheels, their first year in the ACC... Ouch

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Not sure about the validity but this is from Wikipedia:

Charlie Ward, Jr. is a three sports retired American professional NBA basketball player, college football Heisman Trophy winner, Davey O'Brien Award winner and a Major League Baseball draftee...... Though Ward did not play baseball in college, he was drafted as a pitcher by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 1993 free agent draft and by the New York Yankees in 1994........Upon graduation, Ward stated he was undecided about professional basketball or football and made it clear that he would not consider playing in the NFL unless selected in the first round of the 1994 NFL Draft. Ward proclaimed that he "deserved to" be a first rounder. Ward’s mother reported that the family was told he "was probably a third-to fifth-round pick."......Ward was not selected in the 1st round of the NFL Draft. Instead of pursuing a career as a football player in the NFL, and having been chosen in the 1st round (26th overall) of the 1994 NBA Draft by the New York Knicks, he began his career in the NBA as a point guard. An inquiry was made during Ward's rookie year with the Knicks to become the backup quarterback for Joe Montana of the Kansas City Chiefs, but Ward declined......

I
goal
goal
I
I searched Charlie Ward, Heisman flops... Espn had an article about him never being drafted in the NFL...

Having said that he was a great athlete, multiple sport and all. He gave my guys the treatment in B-Ball.

My point was picking the best one player is a crap shoot. You could discuss for days or years, just like this thing about Charlie has gone on. Half the folks in Football and soccer play defense, but many, many times the offensive players get picked... Why? because the stats are easier to keep up with. It is that simple.

Everyone says defense win championships, but the best players are always offensive players? Does not add up to me. Look at Pittsburg with and without their safety, the one with the great hair. They are nothing, without him. He was the best player in the league! Hey, but I like Defense.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Agree. Plus it's so subjective. Also, I'm sure like everything else in the world politics plays a huge part from who makes all-stars in little league all the way to the MLB all star game. It's in everything!

R
throw in
throw in
R
Zen
I agree with everything you said about #15 Stephanie DeVita for Hillcrest. She carried her team as a freshman and is doing the same thing this year.But I think you left out her biggest asset. She knows how to finish. She is great at creating space for herself then takes that extra split second to make sure she gets off a quality shot. This along with all the skills you mentioned makes her one of the top players in the state.

I
goal
goal
I
Saw Byrnes, Spartanburg... my vote is still 15 from Hillcrest. Did not see her finish the other night... we did not let her that close

S
goal
goal
S
Time to revisit the topic again, who's it gonna be ? Has anyones stock risen in the past month.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Taylor Parker is an easy nomination......very smooth and a pretty player. I think she is as good a finisher as I've seen, boy or girl.

However......I really like Alissa Pantuosco, #7 from Clover. A junior, she is absolute dynamite on the ball. I think if she played for Mauldin or Dorman or Riverside or Irmo or some such school like that......she would have a much higher profile in the state.

Those are my two.....if I had a vote.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Taylor Parker is an easy nomination......very smooth and a pretty player. I think she is as good a finisher as I've seen, boy or girl.

However......I really like Alissa Pantuosco, #7 from Clover. A junior, she is absolute dynamite on the ball. I think if she played for Mauldin or Dorman or Riverside or Irmo or some such school like that......she would have a much higher profile in the state.

Fair enough, but Parker has a high profile playing at FM, what is the differnce between FM and clover.

brace
brace
Well, we will know a little better tomorrow night what the difference is after game two. Based one game one I would say it is that Taylor was not shut down by Clover keying on her and doubling her when they could, on the other hand Alissa was unable to break through FM in game one.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Quote:

Fair enough, but Parker has a high profile playing at FM, what is the differnce between FM and clover.

How about a key difference between Fort Mill and Clover being something like 8 straight undefeated region seasons for Fort Mill. Always being a 1 seed has helped FM make fairly deep runs into playoffs that Clover hasn't been able to pull off over the last 2-3 years where they've been good.

Clover has a talented team.....but they dont' have the depth of Fort Mill, nor do they have the longevity. Because FM has been very good in SC for a long time....they get a lot of respect that flows down to the players.

Alex Ramsey was a very, very good soccer player for a bunch of years in SC. She played at a school that wasn't that good and as a freshman didn't even make all region. Maybe the best player in her class statewide

Clover is a lot better situation than Alex was in at RH. But I think thats a perfect example of a player needing team success in order to get individual recognition.

For Alissa to get the recognition that she has earned....Clover needs to make a run. Whether they do or not though.... shouldn't negate the point that she is a phenomenal player.

B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Quote:

Well, we will know a little better tomorrow night what the difference is after game two. Based one game one I would say it is that Taylor was not shut down by Clover keying on her and doubling her when they could, on the other hand Alissa was unable to break through FM in game one.

Having played both teams twice there is a critical difference between Taylor and Alissa...and its where they recieve the ball. In both games vs Fort Mill.....Taylor was consistently receiving the ball maybe 30-35 yards out. We lost the first game 6-0 and we gave her space....lost the second game 2-0 and pressured her intensely. In spite of high pressure and being marked closely she scored a goal and got an assist. Alissa is more apt to be receiving the ball on the defensive half of the field. Meaning she has a lot further to go and with more players to beat before she is dangerous. Taylor beats one person and she's dangerous. Its all about starting point.

Clover's challenge tomorrow will be to keep Alissa high and have someone with her to play off of. Taylor will get hers....the question will be if the Clover midfield can hold up. If not.......they ought to just go ahead and move Alissa into the middle of the field and push Jordan up.

K
Kickoff
Kickoff
K
Taylor from FM is very good, and I have had the pleasure of playing with her on the ODP level but I think Morgan Hert should be considered! She is the keeper for Mauldin and is very good. She is going to Clemson next year

R
throw in
throw in
R
Though she only a Sophomore and she does not play on a great team (Hillcrest), Stephanie DeVita should still be considered. With every team she plays set up to stop her she has still posted impressive numbers this year. I think most coaches who's teams have played against her would agree.

world cup
world cup
I've plugged Stephanie as the best soph in the state.
I'm impressed.

But I'll stop short of crowning her POY. Her time will come.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard