Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brace
OP Offline
Brace
The College of Charleston has released their 2010 spring schedule and will play four professional teams. Real Salt Lake, the defending MLS Champions, headlines the schedule along with Toronto FC (MLS), Charleston Battery (USL2), and the Charlotte Eagles (USL2).

Please see the entire schedule below, along with quotes from Coach Lundy and rising senior Sean Flatley.

"This if by far, the most competitive spring schedule we have ever put together," said head coach Ralph Lundy. "I want the players to maximize every opportunity we are putting in front of them this spring so that we can prepare for our fall 2010 season."

"I'm looking forward to the challenges ahead of us," junior defender Sean Flatley said. "I think that with the talent on this team and the focus being shown right now, we have a chance to have a successful and productive spring season."

The spring will also include the traditional Cougar Alumni match on March 20. More than 40 Charleston alumni are expected to participate.

2010 Spring Schedule
Mar. 6 vs. Real Salt Lake (7 p.m.)
Mar. 18 vs. Toronto FC (10 a.m.)
Mar. 20 vs. Cougar Alumni (1 p.m.)
Mar. 27 at Manchester Cup; vs. Kentucky (1:45 p.m.) & vs. Winthrop (8:45 p.m.)
Apr. 3 at UNC Charlotte (11:30 a.m.) & at Charlotte Eagles (2:30 p.m.)
Apr. 10 at Charleston Battery (10 a.m.) & vs. Wingate (7 p.m.)

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
that is pretty sweet for c of c men!!! good luck against the big guys!

S
Goal
Goal
S
How many college teams can say they got a game with the defending MLS champs? The Battery's Carolina Challenge Cup has some good side benefits for the locals.....

Brace
OP Offline
Brace
The College of Charleston will face the defending MLS Champion Real Salt Lake at Patriots Point Stadium at 7:00 p.m.

The match is the first for the Cougars this season and admission is free to the public!

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
S
goal
goal
S
Ralph has run a great program ever since his days with Coach Polson in Due West, SC. Plus, Ralph L. is even a better person than he is coach.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Weather looks perfect, hope there's a good crowd. I'm going to try and make it.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
CCU men are playing real salt lake too and the battery 2 times..on their team website.

Coach Chickering
Camden High Soccer
World Cup
World Cup
2009 Highlight Video

The Charleston men's soccer team is leaving for Italy today. You can follow their tour via Twitter.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Fun for the kids.

But, 11-10 in the SoCon? How many times has CofC been to NCAAs in last 10 years? With that city, school, facility and max scholarships, as well as, the parody in Men's Soccer, CofC should be a Top 20 program.

Regardless of all the "good" people say Lundy does, it seems he spends too much time with camps and foreign tours and not the program. The AD needs to decide what he/she wants from this program or he/she just doesn't care.

Lundy would a great ambassador for the youth game/clubs in Lowcountry while doing his camps but let someone else, who wants to be a full-time college coach, be at CofC. Seems the best of both worlds for everyone.

G
corner kick
corner kick
G
WOW!

Kickoff
Kickoff
kickinit70, I'm sure the adults on the trip will enjoy Italy as well. Lundy has been at the College since 1987. As for Charleston men's soccer - since 2002 the Cougars are 95-59-10 so that's better than 60% in as you say a lot of parity with college soccer. I'd say the College is getting their $100,000 out of Lundy with all of the positive exposure and goodwill he demonstrates in the Lowcountry.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
I'm not trying to diminish his career, or him, at all. But just stating the fact it might be time for a change. An older coach sometimes disconnects from the younger player, lacks motivation and doesn't have energy, priorities to work on his program. As a soccer fan, all I'm saying is it might be that time at CofC.

Yes, the adults will have fun. Yes, he has been there since 1987. And, yes, if the College only wants community exposure and world goodwill for 100K, then he is perfect. But, the answer you were looking for was one NCAA Tournament, no regular season titles and 4 of last 5 years CofC has not been more then 1 game over .500.

throw in
throw in
Actually Lundy's salary is $81,027.00 (Visit wwwthestate.com/statesalaries). Lacks motivation and doesn't have energy? You obviously have not watched him coach. Disconnected from the players? He coaches one way . . . his way. He does not allow much input from the players. He demands you do things the way he wants them done. Have you looked at his schedule? It is one of the toughest in the country. He looks to schedule the best NCAA D-I teams he can.

Between the tough spring schedule and the trip to Italy, it is to better prepare the team for the 2010 season. The trip to Italy allows the team to play more games, gain more experience for the younger players, and allow the team to gel. 2009 was disappointing for the Cougars. They were talented, but lost a lot of close games. Their goalkeeping was often by committee. They did not have a GK that stepped up and was consistent all season. They seemed solid almost everywhere else on the field. They felt they had the chance to win the SoCon. They finished a strong 2nd in the regular season to a surprising Wofford team (only SoCon team to beat the Terriers). The Cougars entered the SoCon tourney as the #2 seed, but were awful in the SoCon tourney against Elon.

World Cup
World Cup
To view some footage of the Cougars' trip to Italy, please visit www.youtube.com/charlestonsoccer - their player updates and video were excellent!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard