Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#129647 02/17/10 05:30 AM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Jonathan:
And any other soccer parent or HS coach that feels like chiming in, why such a thin skin when anyone brings up premier/club players, they are a part of many HS teams in SC. I made a statement/observation about the number of premier players Mauldin HS has and people got all upset, why?
BTW if you plan on playing HS soccer at Riverside, coach Archenhold requires his players play club soccer.

sweet feet #129648 02/17/10 05:44 AM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
touche! i will speak only for myself though.

i wish that I had been so fortunate to have a starting line up of such skilled players (i think). i can't imagine the luxury that it must be to just put the players in the right spots and watch them play (for the most part). the mention of premier players doesn't bother me. it was just your delivery.

but hell...maybe i just read into it the wrong way. maybe you did just want to know how many other HS teams had such a high concentration of players at that caliber. maybe it wasn't ridiculous question...the type that i am accustomed to seeing on the boys board.

maybe...it was just me.

Jonathan #129649 02/17/10 05:52 AM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Jonathan,
I just enjoy girls soccer, period. Was caught off guard by Mauldins high number of Premier players, it's that simple, no dog in the fight.

sweet feet #129650 02/17/10 05:57 AM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
sounds like it's settled...guess it was just me.

Last edited by Jonathan; 02/17/10 05:58 AM.
Jonathan #129651 02/17/10 08:45 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Are you kidding me? That's it? What a great catch-all thread title, and that's all you two can come up with? I'd rather watch grass grow!

Sweet Feet, "caught off guard"? When in the last 3 years did you NOT know exactly how many Premier League players were going to be on every team in SC? That's RHS and Mauldin, right? And, if the second coming of Mia Hamm showed up at RHS tryouts but did not play CLUB ball, the RHS coach wouldn't try sticking a Warrior's jersey on her? Guess he's not the coach I thought he was. (Wow, I'm liking this thread already!)

Jonathan, "we just finally got to the good stuff...results"? What results? They're SCRIMMAGES! The "hahahaha!!!" post you made on the other thread that Sweet Feet quoted was in response to DormanSoccer's report of a SCRIMMAGE between Dorman and Eastside. Dorman had a full bench of substitutes to evaluate. Eastside had a bench of... two (probably be mid-March before Eastside gets rid of the handballs after basketball season ends). Thank heaven (and the Dorman coach) for Dorman using the opportunity to evaluate its bench rather than leaving all of its Premier League players in just to try (gotta say "try") proving Dorman could blow out the other team.

C'mon guys, you can keep this catch-all-barb-throwing thread going all the way through pre-season, maybe beyond if you'd like, and leave the thread for posting scrimmage results clean of the banter.

Now, I notice neither of you have an avatar, so who wants to be...

and who wants to be...

Last edited by DeltaDog; 02/17/10 10:08 AM.
DeltaDog #129652 02/17/10 12:00 PM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
you nasty instigator. they are results...teams are playing and we are seing scores. i am pretty sure that everyone understands that most teams aren't putting their best foot forward and are taking this chance to see what they have. but coaches are still checking out the bench and seeing where the team stands = results.

btw...i would have expected that you would be able to use the "hahahahaaha" in the post that you referenced to come to the conclusion that it was a joke. guess not.

while we're at it...don't forget Inigo Montoya.

Jonathan #129653 02/17/10 03:10 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Delta:
Funny stuff...However, you have a couple daughters that play both HS and club soccer why in your opinion do HS coaches get rattled over the HS club comparison?

sweet feet #129654 02/17/10 05:44 PM
bench
bench
Overrated(Clap Clap CLAPCLAPCLAP)

sweet feet #129655 02/17/10 06:15 PM
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Sweetfeet, I have been trying to ignore you and your flames but I am going to make this one exception and respond to you ONCE then I am logging off. This subject has been discussed AD NAUSEUM and I would really like it to stop. So here goes the HS coach perspective:

HS coaches (unless they are delusional) understand that they are only as good as the players that happen to live in their district. Most of us work very hard to put the best product we can on the field but in the end it is the "jimmys and joes, not the x's and o's". Therefore, we set our goals and expectations based on our talent level. I don't know anybody that thinks their team is good because of their coaching alone.

We get frustrated when you and others rant on about this club player and that club player because everybody should understand that the clubs RECRUIT and would be NOTHING if they did not control the holy grail...entry to Region III premier.

Let's take my team for instance. EVERY ONE of the girls on my team (including the ones that play for CESA)started with local clubs, heck they started with the local ymca! I have always encouraged our girls to try out for CESA because they would be competing for a spot with the best girls from across the state. CESA has taken some of our best and done very well for them, but they didn't take all of them.

HS coaches do not have that luxury of picking and choosing. We actually have to help develop some of them rather than picking an allstar team and rolling the ball out for them to kick around. And before anybody gets upset about that statement, please understand that I know the training and facilities available at CESA are great, but are they really better than the college coaches that work so hard with CASA or the work being done at other places around the state?

I don't know, but it is NOT fair to be so smug when speaking to or about coaches like Roseberry, Chass, Jonathan (when he was in Easley) and all the others that know WAY more soccer than you and work their buts off to just make playoffs and maybe get a girl or two (that CESA wouldn't have) a little recognition or maybe a college scholarship. Plus, remember that most HS coaches are teachers too. I teach Biology, Jonathan teaches 8th grade science, Roseberry teaches English...we are not soccer bums. What do the club guys do? Are you REALLY getting your money's worth?

I am sorry you are bored and want to stir things up for your entertainment, but you will not get my participation on one of your threads again.

Quote:

Delta:
Funny stuff...However, you have a couple daughters that play both HS and club soccer why in your opinion do HS coaches get rattled over the HS club comparison?

sweet feet #129656 02/17/10 06:43 PM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
i agree, cj...apples to oranges.

Jonathan #129657 02/17/10 07:25 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
I'll treat this as a legitimate question and attempt to give a legitmate answer...I'm feeling fairly objective and don't feel attacked; I just enjoy some self-deprecating deadpan humor now and then.

I think Coach Allen said it pretty simply in the other thread; during high school season, coaches want to enjoy and focus on high school soccer and high school competition, not make high school season an extension of club competition as some are prone to imply. Most high school coaches I know put a lot of work into their teams, which in most cases includes encouraging the players to participate in fall-season programs to get maximum playing time and training, but if a team is successful and the success is attributed to "what club do the players come from?" then it seems (seems--we're talking perception, not necessarily the speaker's intent) to discount the high school coach's efforts and focus only on the outside influence. It's not always just about the level of players who show up, but how well you work with them in the high school season that influences their performance as a high school team...I think the HS coaches (rightly) feel that the focus should be on how their players function as a team FOR THEIR SCHOOL.

For myself, whatever level of players I have come out for high school season, whether they be inexperienced, rec, classic, challenge, or above, if someone asks who they play for, I expect them to reply, "Berkeley!"

During club season, whether my players come from Berkeley, West Ashley, James Island, Academic Magnet, Bishop England, or any other school, when someone asks them who they play for, I expect the answer to be "United!"

Make sense?

I've got good news and bad news...
Jonathan #129658 02/17/10 07:26 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Tell us what you really think..CJ
I have to agree..Club ball is over..Let it go..My daughter's team has one premier player on it and who really cares? If anything..you put that team in a tough spot..If they lose a game..How could they have lost with all those premier players?
High school ball is going on now..Let's enjoy it and club season will come back around again..

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How did I know Coach Class was going to jump in front of me?

C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Sorry!

sweet feet #129661 02/17/10 09:24 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Delta:
... why in your opinion do HS coaches get rattled over the HS club comparison?

Well, I was going to say parents get rattled not the coaches, because HS coaches understand the differences in the two environments as CJ and Chass pointed out and one big difference that they didn't... unlike club teams, HS teams necessarily change every year due to graduation which adds the coaching burden of rebuilding team chemistry every year.

But, now I can't say that, because YOU apparently rattled a coach with your INCESSANT RANTINGS ABOUT WHO'S GOT THE MOST... ANYTHING!!!

CJ, sorry you've left the building, but if you're looking for fairness relative to respect for HS coaches, understand this... my daughter will not be found playing for "bums" of any kind whether they be coaching HS or Club. What do the club coaches do? The current coach of my daughter's premier team teaches English Literature at a local high school, and her first coach at this level of play is/was an executive with Michelin. You can't call all club coaches "soccer bums" any more than club coaches can call all HS coaches incompetent. When venting, we can usually say whatever comes to mind, but your call for the fairness deserved by HS coaches should really go hand-in-hand with fairness extended in the other direction.

Yep, fairness all around, I say, except towards the new guy. Any one with a name like "McLOVIN" needs to see a doctor about those parentheses before being allowed back in this thread!!

DeltaDog #129662 02/17/10 10:13 PM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J

Jonathan #129663 02/17/10 10:36 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Sorry, more my style in a sword fight... hide in the secret passages and drop a pot on their heads.

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 02/21/10 04:05 PM.
DeltaDog #129664 02/18/10 02:29 AM
U
throw in
throw in
U
This thread is whole lot better than American Idol. It's time for another thrust and jab from someone.

UncleBuck #129665 02/18/10 02:55 AM
A
goal kick
goal kick
A
Forget American Idol, the Olympics are awesome tonight. USA just picked up 4 medals so far tonight.

DeltaDog #129666 02/18/10 04:53 AM
corner kick
corner kick
Deltadog, you probably know the answer to this better than I, but is it possible the Club and High School issue may be mute? If this National league takes off will the players play year around? If so how will this impact the club players playing High School? Maybe we will not have premier player playing High School? At least ones from CESA

That there is an RV Clark......
Hobo #129667 02/18/10 11:13 AM
brace
brace
Here's the answer: No one likes to be insulted, especially from the back row of the stadium. I really don't know ANY high school coaches who want a parent "coaching" (I always ask at the parent meeting how many of my parents played professional soccer. It kind of sets the tone.) or criticizing period. We work our tails off to provide an experience for a group of girls that is positive, a learning experience, and rewarding.

Just like in life, Richie Rich, and some other characters, got the silver spoon. Or their parents got or earned a silver fork and gave it to their kids. I earned my fork, and gave it to my kids. My daughter plays club, not premier, but was on the borderline for a scholarship to Clemson, so...She learned something about soccer, somewhere. Who cares where.

The guys at CESA are world class soccer guys in my opinion. I respect every one of them. I would respect the coaches at CASA, or NASA or wherever. I respect coaches, period.

And there lies the rub. To be a respected person, you must be respectful. Respectful means your child is not better than mine, nor mine better than yours. Neither am I better than you or you better than me. Start there, and then be polite. And like Mom always said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Be respectful. Don't hide behind monikers, etc. Just be respectful. Coaches earn respect, and you owe them respect.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
brace
brace
Quote:

I really don't know ANY high school coaches who want a parent "coaching" (I always ask at the parent meeting how many of my parents played professional soccer. It kind of sets the tone.) or criticizing period.

Agree with your sentiments entirely. Funny but a friend in Va who is HS coach (played Div 1 in college many years ago) always asked the same question at his parent meeting every year. One year a dad quietly raised his hand and politely asked if playing on the Turkish national team for 4 years counted as "professional" to the coach. The father was honestly unsure if that was good enough for what the coach was looking for! (not realizing the point he was about to make) Of cousre the coach said that was "good enough" and asked if the father could come out and help when he had some free time. He then went on to say that any one with less than five year on National Team experience should come to him with questions and not coach from the stands (got big laughs). Best part is the Turkish father stepped in and offer to answer/ explain to other parents if they did not understand the coaches methods, becuase of his experience he felt might help the parents understand and did not want coach "bothered" while coaching his child!!!. Coach said it was best parents season he had ever had as no one bothered him all season!

The Chief #129669 02/18/10 03:01 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Another prickly point about implying that the quality of a team is based on its number of premier players is not so much on behalf of the coaches but for the players as well. The implication comes across that the premier players are the only ones valuable enough to be counted in an assessment of the team. High school soccer is not a "pay to play" sport in most schools; as ROH alluded, all of our players have varying paths to arrive at a point of self-respect and achievement. Some of our best athletes who put all of themselves into the game aren't the ones who have had the opportunities to become a "premier" player. The last thing most of us want to see is for those players to start feeling devalued because they don't have that label. Personally, I've always thought we damage our potential to develop soccer in this country by marketing it as an "elite" sport; players should be able to come out and represent their schools with pride no matter how many or how few outside opportunities they have access to without being directly (and unfavorably) compared to people who have had those chances. In the final analysis, it's all about performance as a team, not pedigree.

A couple of years ago, my club's U18 Classic girls shared a practice facility with the U18 Challenge team. Out of four scrimmages, the Classic team won three...the last one by a 4-1 margin. The difference, I think, was in effort, heart, and not setting too much stock in labels.

Coach Chass #129670 02/18/10 03:42 PM
brace
brace
Great point, Chass. I never miss a chance to point out to our little Blue Ridge players who on the other team is a PREMIER player. Funny how that works out sometimes in the games.

I have a kid who could have played premier, but we goofed her up big time. We were the Co-Presidents of the PTSA at school, and ran the After Prom to try to get all the kids home safely. It ran from 2-4:30 am, and our 10th grade daughter was required to come with us because that's how we do things. We cleaned up, got home around 6, ate a little and went to bed (my wife and I). Our respectful daughter stayed up because she had to be at the Premier tryout scrimmage at 8. Amazingly, she looked tired and lethargic and wasn't chosen. Played Challenge, they won 20 games, tied 7, lost one (to the Premier team at State), and she scored on the Premier team in the State Cup. The Premier team rarely scored that year in their intrastate games and could have used another scorer, but you know...

We would rather have a Premier daughter who listens to us, and knows what the terms "Respect" and "Class" are, than anything else. She played challenge for Chris Nichols (Christ Church) and he is a perfect person and coach. And we have two of those Premier daughters. Life is great.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
ROH

I also never miss a chance to point out to my Barnwell girls the teams that we play that have those "Premier" players. It seems our team is sometimes looked down upon because we are from that small town with a small town club and the girls play classic ball. The good thing is they are really U-17 but played U-18 and more than held their own by only losing I believe only one game to a U-18 challenge team until State Cup and then missed the Championship game on goal differential.

I like not having those premier players because for one I dont have to deal with the ego's that sometimes come with some of those players and my girls play hard to show that they can beat those premier players!

M Allen #129672 02/18/10 04:31 PM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
"this is the song that never ends..."

M Allen #129673 02/18/10 06:25 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

ROH

I like not having those premier players because for one I dont have to deal with the ego's that sometimes come with some of those players and my girls play hard to show that they can beat those premier players!

I know Sweet Feet is sitting back loving this stuff. But I think you are being pretty tuff on the premier girls. I have not seen one premier girl on here talking smack. Every premier girl I know is nothing but class. That is from all clubs. I here a bunch of old men beating up on these teen age girls. I think 99% of all the SC soccer girls are class, whether they play Rec or Premier. My daughter has played rec all the way to Premier. And all of them work there buts off, have to juggle school work with a lot of travel and for the most part probably are top in their class. LAY OFF THE GIRLS!!!! Now I know several Premier parents that you can beat up all you want.

Jonathan #129674 02/18/10 06:37 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
What do the club guys do? Are you REALLY getting your money's worth?
Thanks for asking CJ,
In my daughters case, she played for CESA, she received a full soccer scholarship all soccer money, no academic money although she has a 3.92 GPA. So yes I got my monies worth.

I am sorry you are bored and want to stir things up for your entertainment, but you will not get my participation on one of your threads again.
Sorry you feel that way CJ, I post things on this forum that most people agree with but do not post out of fear of repercussions to there daughters that play soccer.

I don't know, but it is NOT fair to be so smug when speaking to or about coaches like Roseberry, Chass, Jonathan (when he was in Easley) and all the others that know WAY more soccer than you.

CJ, Really
You know nothing about my soccer knowledge, one thing I do know, I have coached a premier soccer team and was undefeated.

ROH,
Im really suprised that the guys at CESA wouldn't give your daughter another tryout. The DOC's of CESA are aware of all the top talent in the state

For any other coaches on this board if I come across as smug or disrespectful I apologize in advance.

sweet feet #129675 02/18/10 06:39 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Totally agree HOBO.

sweet feet #129676 02/18/10 06:43 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Sweetfeet how much did that undefeated Premier coaching experiance cost ya? ha ha . And was it worth it? never mind I know the answer to that.

brace
brace
Post deleted by Kyle Heise

sweet feet #129678 02/18/10 06:47 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

ROH,
Im really suprised that the guys at CESA wouldn't give your daughter another tryout. The DOC's of CESA are aware of all the top talent in the state.

If that was the only day I had seen her, I wouldn't have given her another chance either. But when she scored more than 50% of the goals on the challenge team, and scored on the Premier team against the Premier defense and goalie, I might have reconsidered. She doesn't care - her friends are on the Challenge team and she loved playing there. It's all good.

Hobo #129679 02/18/10 06:48 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Flip side for perspective (thanks, Hobo, for introducing it); I have one freshman girl this year who has transferred to our school this year and who plays high-level club soccer. She has joined a team of girls who are all high-school-only, rec, and one Classic player and has meshed seamlessly with her teammates. She's respectful, hard-working, and humble, and has won the respect of her team not only for her playing ability, but even more so for her great attitude and work ethic.

Her father gets almost as intense as Sweet sometimes, but he's a co-worker and friend of mine so I have plenty of opportunity to keep him from getting wound too tight.

I guess the lesson is that everyone has their stereotypes, no matter which direction they're looking from; I suppose each one has some basis in a grain of truth, but most of the time they represent the glaring minority; getting to really know the players and the coaches on both sides of the coin tends to reveal a different and more prevalent truth.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I really don't know ANY high school coaches who want a parent "coaching" (I always ask at the parent meeting how many of my parents played professional soccer. It kind of sets the tone.) or criticizing period.

CJ, has the record with 6 dads that have played for the Anderson Aresonal team in the Hartwell Lake Premier league.

Hobo #129681 02/18/10 06:57 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sweetfeet how much did that undefeated Premier coaching experiance cost ya? ha ha . And was it worth it? never mind I know the answer to that.

PRICELESS!!!

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

But one gripe from own little brown eyes is the "language" factor that seems to be prevalent in almost every Premier player. If you do not talk profane smack you are a wimp. This comes from hearing it from the sideline, from watching the vulgarness and the belief that it is intimidating. And it is a factor in premier soccer.

You got to be freakin kidding me!!! I here way more of that language in High School. And I promise you that the language is not a factor from playing premier. THAT COMES FROM HOME, I promise ya. I know the premier refs do not put up with that stuff as well as the coach's. You have got to have a chip on your shoulder for making a stupid statement like that. Sorry but you caught me while I am sitting in an airport while my plane is delayed. And I actually have time to respond to your stupid statement.

Hobo #129683 02/18/10 07:06 PM
C
Coach
Online Content
Coach
C
Ohhh, and just like that we're back to attacking each other and calling people "stupid"...

I had such high hopes for a moment.

Sigh.

Coach Chass #129684 02/18/10 07:07 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Hobo:
Tell us how you really feel.

Hobo #129685 02/18/10 07:09 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

"the language is not a factor from playing premier. THAT COMES FROM HOME, I promise ya. I know the premier refs do not put up with that stuff as well as the coach's. You have got to have a chip on your shoulder for making a stupid statement like that. Sorry but you caught me while I am sitting in an airport while my plane is delayed. And I actually have time to respond to your stupid statement.

Hey Bo: God created us equal (except your kid got to play Premier I guess). He gave us both ears (two of them). DURING high school games, where I coach, about thirty yards away, I have heard as profane language as I have ever heard and in my opinion it is from the kids who excel and the ones who are awful - not the middle ground. I would agree it comes from the home. We don't talk like that in our house.

Hobo #129686 02/18/10 07:11 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

I actually have time to respond to your stupid statement.

Stupid? I am retired, coaching high school soccer for fun, pretty successfully I might add, and you are ticked off waiting for a plane? I hand you the mirror, Sir.

Goal
Goal
this forum needs more moderation

U
throw in
throw in
U
Smack talk, Bad language in physical competitive sports...."NO WAY".

Hobo #129689 02/18/10 10:03 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

... is it possible the Club and High School issue may be mute?

Naaah, someone will just add a thread titled "How many teams can compete with the number of Challenge players at...", and we're right back to...

Last edited by Kyle Heise; 02/20/10 10:53 PM.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Stupid? I am retired, coaching high school soccer for fun, pretty successfully I might add, and you are ticked off waiting for a plane? I hand you the mirror, Sir.

If you read my comments I am not calling you stupid. Just your statement. Which it is.

UncleBuck #129691 02/18/10 10:37 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Smack talk, Bad language in physical competitive sports...."NO WAY".

Be careful there Uncle Buck.
Sounds like he is calling out your daughters high school team. Maybe even your daughter.

Only time will tell
corner kick
corner kick
Hmm, Premier League must have deteriorated since I played. There was very little "smack" talk or derogatory language when I was playing. That's a really sad comment on the state of our culture.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
D
Goal
Goal
D
adidaskitten86, the amount of "smack" talk on the field in Premier League probably hasn't increased that much since you played. These guys are just on a roll.

DeltaDog #129694 02/18/10 11:53 PM
corner kick
corner kick
DeltaDog,
Maybe its your daughters. They fit the profile

Only time will tell
D
Goal
Goal
D
Trash talkin' thugs, they are. Had to sell one of 'em off a couple of weeks ago.

DeltaDog #129696 02/19/10 12:56 AM
World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Trash talkin' thugs, they are. Had to sell one of 'em off a couple of weeks ago.

Where did she sign?

Coach Young #129697 02/19/10 01:07 AM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Little:
Furman, congratulations Dog

Coach Young #129698 02/19/10 01:22 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Sign? What "sign"? Took her down to the bus stop, found a group of nuns headed to Arkansas that had an extra one-way ticket and a spare $18.36!!! Seemed like a good deal to me. Gave the kid the ticket, took the money, stuck her on the bus, gave the nuns 36 cents change, waved and said, "Don't forget to write."

brace
brace
Quote:

But one gripe from own little brown eyes is the "language" factor that seems to be prevalent in almost every Premier player.

I DISAGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, PARTICULARLY THE WORDS "PREVALENT" AND "ALMOST EVERY"! (And I am the one who made the statement)

I woke up at 3 am last night thinking about what I had stated on this forum. When I got up this morning, I read it. It is just not true due to these three words, so I am going to restate it and apologize for making the original statement.

"I have heard 5 premier players use profane language beyond any reason to intimidate less talented players in high school games. They are from a very small range of players/friends/teams/clubs. As I thought about it through the night, that range is infinitely small. So, in conclusion, of the hundreds of premier players in South Carolina girls' soccer, 97% or so are highly talented, soccer-playing kids whom I respect and love to watch play." I let the 5 specific kids influence my overview and let my emotion take over in my original statement that said "almost every premier player". Hobo, it was stupid. I have never heard a CASA player do that, and you were right to be offended. Your daughter is one of the best, classiest players I have ever watched. My apology. Addidaskitten: Nothing has changed. It is still the best soccer in SC.

Please accept my apology. I have reattached my brain to my mouth.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thank you Coach..
I took issue with your comment but refrained from getting into the sword fight..
I knew..that you knew better.

D
Goal
Goal
D
"... It always gets down to the data."

Hey, you were on a roll, and in the heat of the moment you never know what might pop out your mouth.

At least that's what the kid said. I'm keeping the $18.00.

Last edited by DeltaDog; 02/19/10 05:47 PM.
DeltaDog #129702 02/19/10 05:38 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Kind of like... I would post a score from last night's Byrnes/Eastside scrimmage, but I know Jonathan's out there somewhere waiting to DROP A POT ON MY HEAD!!!

DeltaDog #129703 02/19/10 05:55 PM
G
bench
bench
G
I can usually read this forum and be amused how out of control it gets. However, this time I feel that I need to comment on a game that I observed last year where the Blue Ridge coaches and/or fans were warned by the ref to stop the bad language or he was going to eject them.

I would like to think that my daughter doesn't use that language on the field, but in reality I think it happens sometimes...I have been at games where she has endured a lot of abuse by parents as well...so everything has two sides!

DeltaDog #129704 02/19/10 05:58 PM
J
corner kick
corner kick
J

brace
brace
Quote:

I can usually read this forum and be amused how out of control it gets. However, this time I feel that I need to comment on a game that I observed last year where the Blue Ridge coaches and/or fans were warned by the ref to stop the bad language or he was going to eject them.

I would like to think that my daughter doesn't use that language on the field, but in reality I think it happens sometimes...I have been at games where she has endured a lot of abuse by parents as well...so everything has two sides!

I was there too. Actually there were two games. Was it the one where I walked into the stands and told the fan that I would walk them out if they continued? Or was it the playoff game against Eastside where a group of adults began to complain about Andy Robinson's world class daughters who as ball girls weren't "hustling" enough to get balls when in reality they were just holding the score down in compassion.

I put in a Parents' Rules list this year at our first day Parents' Meeting. I informed them that any parent or fan (and that includes opposing fans at our home games) will be removed from the stadium if they refer to an on-field player, BR or opponent, by name, number, or in any way identifying and singling out that child in a derogatory manner. That rule is in. I will personally walk them out if they do it.

We took care of our house. Has your school done the same?

world cup
world cup
I went to church in Blue Ridge.....and a soccer match broke out!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #129707 02/19/10 07:47 PM
brace
brace
I have seen a guy get knocked out in church but it wasn't in Blue Ridge. It was quite a bit closer to Fort Mill.....

D
Goal
Goal
D
Did you hear that Uncle Buck? ROH says Eastside's got... "compassion". Maybe RHS can get some compassion, too. Maybe get some before the 5th?

Hurst66 #129709 02/19/10 08:30 PM
Goal
Goal
Here's an idea for this message board...why not have a forum entitled Smack Talk and let any and everything go in there. Keep that junk in there and then when people come in here, no one has to read about a 16 year old getting ripped on by someone.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Thought that was the origin of "Sword Fight"... getting some banter out of another thread. Is someone ripping a 16 year old here? If your reply was in response to my comment to Uncle Buck, I believe his daughter and my daughter play side-by-side on a back line in club but against each other in RHS/Eastside games. I believe he would recognize the jest in my comment.

DeltaDog #129711 02/19/10 09:16 PM
corner kick
corner kick
They may play on the same club team, but I don't think they play beside each other.

Only time will tell
D
Goal
Goal
D
My bad. But RHS has so many Premier players, it's hard to tell them apart!!!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Here's an idea for this message board...why not have a forum entitled Smack Talk and let any and everything go in there. Keep that junk in there and then when people come in here, no one has to read about a 16 year old getting ripped on by someone.

We would all need to get our own sock puppets!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
DeltaDog #129714 02/21/10 12:45 AM
Goal
Goal
Quote:

Thought that was the origin of "Sword Fight"... getting some banter out of another thread. Is someone ripping a 16 year old here? If your reply was in response to my comment to Uncle Buck, I believe his daughter and my daughter play side-by-side on a back line in club but against each other in RHS/Eastside games. I believe he would recognize the jest in my comment.

No...nothing at one poster. I remember a few years ago when a certain lexington player was being ripped by other people. he sucked, he was fat, he couldn't play, etc. He was a HS kid and they just ripped him. Pretty bad. Turns out that kid is now a D II player who played on a premier team as well...but we all know about premier players

Anyways...that might have been the purpose of the thread, but maybe just a forum devoted to that. know what I mean???

sweet feet #129715 02/23/10 12:17 PM
Z
bench
bench
Z
Sweet Feet, correct me if I am wrong, but your daughter left CESA and played for IMG Academy starting in the 8th grade. She played part-time for CESA, off and on over the years, so she really got her training and skills at IMG.

DeltaDog #129716 02/23/10 12:30 PM
Z
bench
bench
Z
Actually RHS has only 5 Premier players. It has 5 former Premier players, 2 of whom asked to move to Challenge and 3 who were moved to Challenge. But those 5 former Premier were on Premier teams that won State Championships at the Club level. The others all play Challenge except one who does not play Club, but is a very good player. The 5 Premier and 5 former Premier have also been on a State High School Championship team and 7 of them made it to the High School State Championship game the previous year, but came up short. It's called being a team regardless of Premier/Challenge/Classic/or no Club play.

zapper #129717 02/23/10 02:11 PM
Goal
Goal
I really don't rate this forum and this is the thread that showcases my point.

Deplorable.

shut^&play #129718 02/23/10 02:40 PM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8OYoVVNOtc

"I left them Skinny Tires On I'm riding Vogues Dickies Still On The Iron Board I'm Linin Down."

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
HUH?

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
Marcus H. #129720 02/23/10 03:02 PM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
You can check my album on DatPiff.com

zapper #129721 02/23/10 05:01 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet Feet, correct me if I am wrong, but your daughter left CESA and played for IMG Academy starting in the 8th grade. She played part-time for CESA, off and on over the years, so she really got her training and skills at IMG.

Wrong Zapper
My daughter played for St Giles, GFC, and CESA before she received an invite to attend IMG. So without the training she received from the Greenville clubs she would not have been selected to train at the academy.

zapper #129722 02/23/10 05:14 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Actually RHS has only 5 Premier players. It has 5 former Premier players, 2 of whom asked to move to Challenge and 3 who were moved to Challenge. But those 5 former Premier were on Premier teams that won State Championships at the Club level. The others all play Challenge except one who does not play Club, but is a very good player. The 5 Premier and 5 former Premier have also been on a State High School Championship team and 7 of them made it to the High School State Championship game the previous year, but came up short. It's called being a team regardless of Premier/Challenge/Classic/or no Club play.

Totally agree Zapper
Soccer is a team sport, just so happens that the level of players on any team sport varies. In soccer, players in SC with the highest skill set are referred to as premier players.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

You can check my album on DatPiff.com

PRACTICALLY MY HOMEPAGE ALREADY MANE

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
sweet feet #129724 02/23/10 08:29 PM
Z
bench
bench
Z
Sweet Feet- Of course your daughter got great training at an early age, I remember her as a very talented and dominate player. My point is, I believe your daughter played 1-2 years in middle school for CESA, then went to IMG for some middle school and all her high school years. Surely the training, fitness, nutrition and competition she faced while at IMG prepared her to be the D1 player she is today. Otherwise, why even go there?????

zapper #129725 02/23/10 09:43 PM
world cup
world cup
Sweet Feet,

Dick Vitale was on a sports talk radio show this morning, fuming that his neighbor, Nick Bollittieri, did not get inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. With your experience at IMG.....what do you think?

zapper #129726 02/23/10 11:43 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet Feet- Of course your daughter got great training at an early age, I remember her as a very talented and dominate player. My point is, I believe your daughter played 1-2 years in middle school for CESA, then went to IMG for some middle school and all her high school years. Surely the training, fitness, nutrition and competition she faced while at IMG prepared her to be the D1 player she is today. Otherwise, why even go there?????

Zapper
In my daughters case, it was about being in a 24/7 soccer environment. You lived with soccer players, you ate with soccer players, and you attended school with soccer players in classrooms that averaged 3-4 students per class.

Hurst66 #129727 02/24/10 12:02 AM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sweet Feet,

Dick Vitale was on a sports talk radio show this morning, fuming that his neighbor, Nick Bollittieri, did not get inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame. With your experience at IMG.....what do you think?

Hurst:
In tennis, Bollettieri is ranked as the worlds top training academy for youth tennis players. With former players such as the William's sisters, Maria Sharapova, Agassi, Kournikova, Becker and Borg it's hard to argue the point. IMG(international management group) is a very large international company that runs a large number of businesses in the US, IMG even manages Tiger Woods. As far as the other sports including soccer, IMG is all about the money. Yes they have world class facilities and quality trainers in all sports but like all wall street owned companies, show me the money.

zapper #129728 02/24/10 06:32 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

"only"?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard