Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#129809 02/18/10 06:46 PM
corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
I always had that question. What do they do in the off season?

they are not allowed to train on the field do they? they just go to school and work out?

Club of the century.
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
There is actually a mini spring season and they train within the regulations of the NCAA.

In fact Furman is hosting a mini Tournament this coming Saturday with Mercer and Presbyterian.

corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
how does that work? im talking on a regular basis. they have about 4 months, are they allowed to use the soccer field? do they train properly? do they have the coach with them or they just get together and play pick up games?

Club of the century.
S
goal
goal
S
Alma:
In the SEC, they started training around January 10th. My daughters team trains from 7:30 a.m. to around 10:30 sometimes later, 5 days a week. They also have an optional session each day, you know what optional means, be there. The average practice has three coaches and 2-3 trainers. In addition they have weights and team meetings. Soccer in college is like american football, the players train year round.

corner kick
OP Offline
corner kick
thank you, your information is very helpfull.

Club of the century.
K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Sounds like some NCAA rules are being severely tested. I guess that training schedule will be ending this week or next since only 5 weeks of 20 hours is allowed and they started January 10. Heck, that training schedule is 15 hours alone not counting the "weights and meetings" and whatever else. That's interesting because I'm sure most SEC programs aren't ending their 20-hour segment in February with most or all of games in March and April. Mmmmmm.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Sweet Feet, you might want to keep that off-season schedule off the air (just a thought). From NCAA.org about training...

Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Frequently Asked Questions
Playing and Practice Limitations (NCAA Bylaw 17)

It is not uncommon for student-athletes, dripping with sweat and muscles aching, to think to themselves during practice: “How long can coach keep us out here?” Well, hopefully, the information provided below can serve as a resource to student-athletes who simply want to know how much and how long they can practice and/or compete on a given day, week, or season.

Q: What activities are considered practice?

The term used to describe NCAA playing and practice limitations is “countable athletically related activities”. Countable athletically related activities include, but are not limited to, practice (everything from chalk-talk to on-field activities), competition, required training activities (running, lifting weights, etc.), or any use of your school’s athletics facilities at the direction of or under the supervision of a coach. Activities that are not considered practice include, but are not limited to, study hall, academic meetings, training room activities, and meetings with coaches that are of a non-athletic nature.

Q: How many hours can a student-athlete be required to practice/compete?

In Divisions I and II, student-athletes are limited to practicing no more than four (4) hours per day and no more than 20 hours per week during the playing season. However, there are exceptions to these limitations for multi-sport and golf student-athletes.

Outside of the playing season, student-athletes are limited to no more than eight (8) hours per week of certain countable athletically related activities. Those activities may only be required conditioning, physical-fitness classes, and individual skill-related instruction. Further, only two (2) of the eight hours may be spent in individual skill instruction with a coach. Please note, student-athletes may not be required to participate in any countable athletically related activities during any of their school’s vacation periods (e.g., summer) that occur outside of the playing and practice season.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?...aac/di+saac+faq

S
goal
goal
S
Delta,
What I posted was a general overview of a week my daughter has experienced, sure there are lots of nuances during the week each day is dictated by NCAA rules. And yes, I'am sure all teams push things to the limit.

I
goal
goal
I
college sports are so much work, if a kid is academically gifted, that route is so much easier... hope mine go that way

SF you were just posting it as you saw it.

Another thought. Rules, who needs rules just send cute girls to High Schools, to get your football players, ask the guy at Tenn, well USC...

Classy programs are the same year in and year out, graduate their kids and produce... NC Basketball, is tearing my heart out this year, we will be back.

I was really impressed with USC (the one with the chicken), their Ladies Soccer coach seems to be a class act. Got to hear her speak to some club kids last year, and they hosted some High School kids as well (at a Clemson game, at Clemson, they were not happy, USC very nice to talk with the girls)... very classy, and producing.

K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
in college you have so many weeks to practice with a ball; you can condition all year long but once the ball is touched your spring season starts and you have so many weeks to play not so many hours...you may a certain number of hours per day and per week but you have a total number of weeks, and you get 6 dates-you can play as many games in one day you want but you can only have 6 dates; that is why you see lots of mini-tourneys...pretty in the off-season for soccer it is alot of conditioning, individual work, and weights..plus school b/c they can't use a ball and coach every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard