Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
any soccer team showing off their skills this preseason, that was not talked about a lot from before?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Ashley Ridge seems to have really stepped up their game this year with 1 and 2-goal scrimmages with West Ashley and Summerville and a 5-0 win over Ft. Dorchester...yes, CHT, I'm louding them out!

I've got good news and bad news...
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
It may sound crazy to say that a team that played for a championship last year is a surprise, but I was really impressed with Christ Church last night. We played them in the bearcat two years ago and the difference in the quality of player they have now compared to then is amazing. They have a core group that is very technical and tough. They have a couple of key players that are still in basketball, and I think we benefitted from that last night.

Nichols is doing a great job and now that they have a jv team (that took it to us last night), look for them to keep getting better.

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
As far as Ashley Ridge, I am sure they are seeing the benefits in the power of numbers... ie a AA school with 1500 students. While we are a AAA school with decreasing numbers. Currently 841 and expected to decline more over the next couple years. Ashley Ridge could be the sleeper against Almighty BE.

S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

It may sound crazy to say that a team that played for a championship last year is a surprise, but I was really impressed with Christ Church last night. We played them in the bearcat two years ago and the difference in the quality of player they have now compared to then is amazing. They have a core group that is very technical and tough. They have a couple of key players that are still in basketball, and I think we benefitted from that last night.

Nichols is doing a great job and now that they have a jv team (that took it to us last night), look for them to keep getting better.

I agree with CJ on a couple points,
CC is a very tough group of players that are very good athletes and are very well coached, CC plays hard smart soccer and has that private school thing going on.

D
throw in
throw in
D
"As far as Ashley Ridge, I am sure they are seeing the benefits in the power of numbers... ie a AA school with 1500 students. While we are a AAA school with decreasing numbers. Currently 841 and expected to decline more over the next couple years. Ashley Ridge could be the sleeper against Almighty BE."

Ashley Ridge has between 1100-1200 students this year and they do not have any seniors. One junior currently starts with about six sophomores and four freshmen. They are still really young.

Last edited by dawgknows; 02/26/10 08:35 PM.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I was looking at their 135 day count numbers from last year.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Pretty much last year's squad..minus the junior..Some switching between the varsity and jv players..First year they took their lumps..This year I think they are going to have more fun..Next year? 4A!!

G
throw in
throw in
G
I also agree with CJ

Running with the big dogs
D
throw in
throw in
D
http://ed.sc.gov/agency/Accountability/Data-Management-and-Analysis/StudentCounts.html

This might be a good link for those of us who like to see how many students school's have. I have seen this question on lots of different discussion boards/forums.

According to this year's 45 day count, Ashley Ridge had 1191 students. This year's 135 day count has not occurred as of yet.

Last year's 180 day count (year end) was 792.

web page

M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M

Last edited by Meredith; 03/01/10 03:20 AM.
World Cup
World Cup

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

The funny thing is that I am sure that Ashley Ridge has more than 10 seniors in the school as the count (45 day) you just provided inidicates. What do you think?

I think that since Ashley Ridge only houses grades 9-11 this year (next year they will add grade 12), I'm sure the bigger surprise is that there are ten seniors listed.

AR and Cane Bay are on the yearly expansion plan...they opened with only grades 9 and 10 and will add a grade each year as students move up until they have seniors...should be next year.

world cup
world cup
Cane Bay.....the Taj Mahal of the Lowerstate.

Drove past the place a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive campus.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Coach
Coach
C
It is definitely the new Berkeley County showcase...I'm afraid to know how much went into that opulent campus!

D
throw in
throw in
D
what is cut off for 1A, 2A, ...?

D
throw in
throw in
D
Quote:

Quote:

The funny thing is that I am sure that Ashley Ridge has more than 10 seniors in the school as the count (45 day) you just provided inidicates. What do you think?

I think that since Ashley Ridge only houses grades 9-11 this year (next year they will add grade 12), I'm sure the bigger surprise is that there are ten seniors listed.

AR and Cane Bay are on the yearly expansion plan...they opened with only grades 9 and 10 and will add a grade each year as students move up until they have seniors...should be next year.

It may be that there are 10 juniors who technically have enough credits (through advanced classes) to be considered seniors- if this report classifies students in this manner.

I also now see where Meredith got the 1500 number- from the AD handbook on the High School league site. I guess this is the projected enrollment for next year.

Like they say "you can find statistics to support just about anything."

I would also like to know the enrollment ranges for the various classifications (A, AA, AAA, AAAA).

C
Coach
Coach
C
That was my thought--students on track for early graduation. The "senior" designation is based on number of credits, not years in high school. I think those were projected numbers; I was a little surprised to see the actual numbers that low myself.

T
kick off
OP Offline
kick off
T
We've heard plenty of talk about the upper state for 3A, what about South Aiken and Myrtle Beach, both teams listed in the Top 5 of the preseason rankings how do they appear to be doing so far?

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

We've heard plenty of talk about the upper state for 3A, what about South Aiken and Myrtle Beach, both teams listed in the Top 5 of the preseason rankings how do they appear to be doing so far?

We should get a good early comparison of upper/lower 3A teams with Viking Cup Friday night matches of South Aiken vs. JL Mann and Myrtle Beach vs. Eastside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard