#130283 03/07/10 02:46 AM
M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Bishop England score is posted incorrectly on Viking Cup website. BE 1 BC 0

Refs caused frustration. BC goalkeeper caught BE shot inside goal but no goal awarded.

BC refused to shake hands of BE players after the game. That's unsportsmanlike.

Last edited by Marta; 03/07/10 02:46 AM.
corner kick
corner kick
Whats done is done, Not much you can do too change reality. I have heard both storys that BC was unsportsmanlike by not shaking hands with the BE players but i also heard that BE has some foul language and unsportsmanlike behavior towards the ref's.

Other than that enjoyed what i saw of the viking cup this weekend! thanks everyone who hosted.

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Reality is that BE won and Viking Cup should correct the score online. Does anyone else have an incorrect score posted online? Anyone know who to contact to correct?

Tournament was enjoyed and great way to kick off the season.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
ummm...i'm confused. are you saying that the ref's called the game a 0-0 draw? if so, then (however unfortunate if there was a mistake) that is the reality.

or are you saying that the score...on the scoreboard...as recognized by the referees...was BE 1 and BC 0? and that it really should have been 2 - 0.

I guess I just don't follow what you are saying.

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Confused, I'm not sure what's confusing about BE WON the game. Final OFFICIAL score was BE 1 BC 0. Should have been BE 2 BC 0. But that's over. Score is not right on Viking Cup website. It's posted as BC 1 BE 0. That's wrong.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
but the refs didn't recognize the 2nd goal?

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Despite the difficulties with the refs the final score was BE 1 BC 0. Bishop England won the game and should be credited correctly by the tournament officials on their website.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
you still didn't answer my question. i finally just looked it up myself. i gotcha now...you're just saying that the score is reversed.

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Marta speaks a foreign language but just so it's clear.

Official referees on the field during the game awarded Bishop England 1 goal and Brooklyn Cayce 0 goals. At the end of game play the official referee score was Bishop England 1 Brooklyn Cayce 0. The Viking Cup website is in error by reporting the game score as BC 1 BE 0. It needs to be corrected.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I actually had the pleasure of watching most of this one! Officials were horrible...any referee that allows a teenage girl (BE) to yell in the official’s face should be fired. This young lady carried on for at least a minute before the poor ref finally showed her a lousy yellow. Then the legendary BE coach wanted an explanation...the whole Midland's Orthopedic complex could hear, "you are an idiot, you shouldn't be a referee (which I do agree with)". Another yellow was given to the BE coach for what I think was for not having his girls "properly equipped". Tussle between a BC/BE player that included "hair pulling" and "cheap shots". Finally a goal was scored by BE (don't know which number) it was tucked neatly in a corner. But BE wasn't done there...one more yellow was shown to their goalkeeper for clearly and loudly shouting, "kiss my ***". I am not quite sure who she was shouting at maybe a player, coach or referee, but there was no contact in the play what so ever. In fact the play was a punt?!?!?! The only other play that I thought would result in a goal was the jumbled rebounded shot that occurred by BC in the last three minutes of the game. Very unlucky for the Brookland Casey who looked to have tied the game, but that so-called ref was not in any kind of position (I think you are suppose to be on the goal line) to make the call. That's the only "goal" that was not rewarded to a team. At the end of the match neither team looked friendly to each other, both going to their own respected sides. Overall there was more excitement due to the amount of cards and comments that were shown/made then the actual soccer being played.

I just hope these refs’s aren't officiating the semis or finals tomorrow…bad things will happen!!

P.S. The refs on field two...much better!!!

J
bench
bench
J
Marta,

I can’t believe I’m about to do this since I have never posted anything before and I’m also sure my comments are probably going to make me sound like a bit of a prude which is not my intent, but I'll let the chips fall where they may... My daughter plays for BC. I too was at the game today. To say the ref’s caused “frustration” may be reaching a bit, but that’s soccer -- or any sport for that matter. All ref’s are human and as one told me one time they are “paid to make calls – not always the right ones”. Gotta give ‘em credit for getting out there. Also, you guys won and the score should be posted correctly. No arguments here. My problem with your post however is in calling our girls “unsportsmanlike” for refusing to shake hands. I’m not sure what you saw, but I saw most of the girls shaking hands from both teams on the field right after the whistle. I didn’t do a head count but I didn’t notice anyone not shaking hands. Maybe I just missed something. What I can say with a fair amount of certainty is that if any of our girls didn’t shake hands, then it will be addressed by the coaching staff.

The real issue I wanted to address here is the subject of language on the field. I promise I’m not directing this totally towards BE but with at least one yellow card issued today against BE for “foul language” it really made me wonder how coaches in general deal with the issue. I’m not a Puritan by any stretch of the imagination, but my daughter is continually amazed at the amount of profanity that she says is used on the field. She says that today's game ranked pretty high in the language department as well. I also know that our girls probably aren't completely innocent either. I know coaches can’t always hear what’s going on, but they also can’t be completely in the dark about it, especially when players are carded for the issue. Now again, any player who is comfortable with saying these type of things on the field may have permission to speak this way at home. But I'm also pretty certain they aren’t allowed to talk like this in the classroom and to me any HS related activities are an extension of the classroom and should be subject to the same rules. Any coaches care to comment? Parents? Have I just officially turned into my parents??

I guess my final thoughts are that before you call out entire teams for being “unsportsmanlike”, I hope you understand that things work both ways. You are definitely entitled to your opinion and have the freedom to post anything you like, but please keep in mind that we’re talking about kids here and we should all strive to make sure that they understand that at the end of the day, soccer is just a game. Someone’s gonna win and someone’s gonna lose most every game. It’s our job as parents, coaches (and even referees!) to make sure we are all doing our best to teach these young ladies what is and isn’t acceptable, whether its on the field, in the classroom or in life.

Dang. Can’t believe I wrote all this. Sorry for the sermon. I think I’m just gonna go back to “anonymous status” for the rest of my daughter’s career..

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
JohnnyB,

Thanks for acknowledging the score and that it should be posted correctly.

And you're right, things do go both ways. When I started this thread it was in response to 202677 on the other Viking Cup thread who wrote "bad sportmanship from the BE team". Unfortunately being a newby on this board I inadvertently started a new thread instead of joining in on the other. But the point is that the entire BE team was called out for being "unsportsmanlike" by 202677.

I am not aware of any parent at BE that allows their children to use foul language at home. At BE students receive demerits and detentions for profanity. Is that the same at public schools? You're right that there is considerable profanity on the field in both club and high school games by many teams. I'm not sure why you suggest that because a player used profanity on the field they must be allowed to do so at home. These are teenagers we are dealing with and I'm sure the overwhelming majority do things away from home they would not do at home. It's the nature of being a teenager. All the parents I know, both at BE and elsewhere are conscientious about teaching their children acceptable behavior.

You further suggest that a player receiving a yellow card for profanity in a game should be sanctioned by the school they attend? That's stretching it pretty far. Couldn't this practice be extended to yellow cards in general? Be careful what you wish for. It's certainly something for the coaches to address and parents too for that matter but not the school. If a school thinks a team is out of hand then get another coach.

Finally, you're right again. Soccer is just a game. It is also a teaching opportunity and I'm sure all the players learned lessons this weekend. The main point of my posts is that a win should be credited to BE in the stats by the Viking Cup for the BC game.

brace
brace
Does anyone remember my "language" comment on an earlier post? This weekend, we had a kid from a AAAA school elbow our goalie twice in the face while they were awaiting a corner kick, and after that SPIT in our defender's face and GUESS WHAT - the ref standing five feet away walked in and warned OUR GOALIE! The ref 50 yards away sprinted in and yellow carded the G kid (thank you), and tournament director Jonathan apologized after the tournament and said that he saw the whole thing and that it was awful.

We have three torn jerseys from kids grabbing our kids and slinging them down. One of the dirtiest teams we have ever played.

Could have fixed the whole thing if we had hit the last two PK's after going up 1-0 in PK's.

That's girls' soccer if the refs let it get out of hand, and we all know that happens. But you know, when a kid spits in a kids face, she should be banned from high school soccer forever.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Marta,
You can drop the HIGHER standard deal..Kids at BE cuss just like any other school..public or private..Your comment just means there are more kids in detention at BE than other schools..
As far as the refs go when it comes to girls soccer..Put your belts on it's going to be a rough season....Why they let girls play so wreckless? I can't understand it..I don't want refs running around with whistles in their mouths..but you got to make the calls and keep control of the games..If not..players get hurt.

world cup
world cup
"I’m not a Puritan by any stretch of the imagination, but my daughter is continually amazed at the amount of profanity that she says is used on the field. She says that today's game ranked pretty high in the language department as well. I also know that our girls probably aren't completely innocent either. I know coaches can’t always hear what’s going on, but they also can’t be completely in the dark about it, especially when players are carded for the issue."

I didn't see this match, but I watched a lot of others, including three games that I had the pleasure of officiating.

JohnnyB, unfortunately with the 2-man system there is no official in the middle to hear most of the potty-mouths. If the coaches can't hear it, and the fans/parents can't always hear it....how do you expect the officials to hear it when they are often further away. Simply go to a 3-man system and the ref in the middle is responsible for monitoring the language, etc.

ROH, no excuse for that garbage. As you pointed out, even in a 2-man system, there is at least one referee right in (or along) the penalty area. Anything along the goal line involving the keeper should be spotted and properly addressed.

cht, right on regarding officiating girls soccer. I am not a big fan of "we're going to let the girls play". I like to set the tone from the start. I tell the captains and coaches prior to the coin toss that I'm not going to tolerate any crap. If you are not playing the ball, it's a foul. If you come from behind, through a player, to get the ball, it's a foul. Significant contact (even shoulder-to-shoulder) with NO chance of winning the ball.....foul. Set the tone early and the girls will play soccer and the parents and coaches don't have to worry about anything getting out of hand.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Simple solution on the soccer field, classroom, or at home:

At the first sign of unwarranted or undesired behavior, address it, make it obvious to everyone, and penalize it if necessary. At the second sign, up the punishment. There is no excuse for a kid taking the back of a kid's leg out with no chance to get the ball and having two refs just say play on. Every kid on the field then says to themselves, "Guess we get to do that to everyone today." And, you spit in my face, you lose teeth. If I had known that the kid has spit in my defender's face in front of the ref, I would have pulled my kids off the field.

It is our job to be the role models, whether as refs, coaches, etc. Do your job.

M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Thanks to Viking Cup for correcting the BE-BC score.

Good Luck to Wando today.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Agree with Hurst and ROH...behavior that is likely to lead to injury (whether through direct action of increasing the chances of retaliation and escalation) needs to be addressed. Don't get me wrong; soccer is a contact sport, and some physical pressure is expected; I hate to see every little bump and nudge called when players are simply going for the ball, and I'm a fan of "If you get knocked down (in the normal course of play), get back up and play harder!" At the same time, intentional contact meant to attack the players and not the ball is pretty easy to distinguish in most cases and needs to be addressed quickly before really unfortunate things can happen...when an athlete already has a season-ending injury or a previously-uncalled player goes straight to a red card for a blatant violation, it's too late.

I feel fortunate that in most situations when physical and verbal contact gets out of hand, it has been addressed by both coaches and officials; it sets a good example when coaches of opposing teams can back each other up and set clear expectations of sportsmanship towards competitors. And while I appreciate officials who let the players play their game hard without letting the whistle always decide the course of the match, I also appreciate those who set clear expectations for safe and sportsmanlike conduct--even when the girls drawing the whistles are mine. It pays off in the end.

I've got good news and bad news...
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Sounds like some advice from the following pages is needed ...

Love your kids? Prove it by beating them

Op-Ed Piece on Beating Kids

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Great article...all this talk about what should if a player does this to another...let 'em play (unless danderous play) this isn't the EPL! Ref's / fans will never see what happens first...example, watching a girl's 4-A game a year ago upstate SC, an offensive player with a defender on her. Player goes to ground and appears to slide tackle other player. After the girl slide tackles she jumps up and starts swinging at the opposing player. Ref issues red card /majority of fans chanting get her off the field. Did she deserve a red card? Well, the reason player appeared to go to the ground on a slide tackle, she was pulled down by her ponytail. Life is not fair nor is the game of soccer, the best team on the field is not always the winner...DEAL WITH IT!! Let 'em play.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Does anyone remember my "language" comment on an earlier post? This weekend, we had a kid from a AAAA school elbow our goalie twice in the face while they were awaiting a corner kick, and after that SPIT in our defender's face and GUESS WHAT - the ref standing five feet away walked in and warned OUR GOALIE! The ref 50 yards away sprinted in and yellow carded the G kid (thank you), and tournament director Jonathan apologized after the tournament and said that he saw the whole thing and that it was awful.

We have three torn jerseys from kids grabbing our kids and slinging them down. One of the dirtiest teams we have ever played.

Could have fixed the whole thing if we had hit the last two PK's after going up 1-0 in PK's.

That's girls' soccer if the refs let it get out of hand, and we all know that happens. But you know, when a kid spits in a kids face, she should be banned from high school soccer forever.

I've been following the posts for a month or so concerning profanity on the fields, and now spitting at an opponent enters the discussions. It seems that the general concensus of parents and coaches alike is everyone would like the game cleaned up.

Here's the part I don't understand. If the coaches want to rid the game of the proliferation of profanity and other forms of unsportsmanlike conduct being reported here, just do it. Get the Coaches Association in agreement (sounds like the coaches posting here already agree) and approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state.

I have to admit I'm not familiar with all of the local high school rules that may override FIFA's "Laws of the Game", so full enforcement of FIFA's rules on our high schools' fields may not be possible.

There are 7 deadly "sins" that require (FIFA, possibly not SCHS) sending a player off... straight red, no yellow. Two of those 7 deadly "sins" are (per 2009-2010 FIFA "Laws of the Game")...

Sending-off Offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven [including two here] offences:
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

Banning a player for life for spitting on an opponent might be a little over the top, but showing a red card is already on the books. A yellow card for spitting is not on the books. Now, the hard part... 5 minutes left to go in the state final, it's 0-0 and your player spits on an opponent. How committed will the coach be to cleaning up the game in that situation? Or, do we allow the official some amount of judgement? That is why I suggest the Coaches Association come to an agreement before approaching the Referees Association.

One of the aspects of this game that I always liked more than any other sport is the consequence of being shown a red card. We hear plenty from our kids about "Mom, Dad, you don't understand the peer pressure...". Good, the kids understand peer pressure, and we all know there is plenty of negative peer pressure out there to go around.

However, there was a time when you could see a player about to erupt, and you would see a teammate grab him/her by the jersey and pull the player away before the eruption could occur that surely would result in a red card. Forget what we as parents and coaches think about cleaning up the game, the players themselves will begin cleaning up the game if by not doing so they keep losing game after game due to playing down numbers, because Sally or Johnny can't keep a civil tongue or spit in his/her mouth. Finally, we have incentive for positive peer pressure. Of course, it could hurt for a while and drive a few coaches bonkers waiting for habits to be broken.

Consider this. When Dennis Rodman would headbutt refs and get thrown out of games and suspended, the media would ask Michael Jordan his thoughts. Jordan would say how great Rodman was, the team misses him, and hopes Rodman can work it out with Management and return to the floor. If after one of those headbutts Rodman had been ejected and the Bulls were not allowed to replace him on the floor, how long do you think it would take for Jordan to get in Rodman's face and say, "FORGET MANAGEMENT. I'M TIRED OF PLAYING 4v5 AND LOSING CHAMPIONSHIPS, CLEAN IT UP OR GET OUT!"? (Instead, what we got without a red card rule in basketball is a cult hero with bad hair in celebrity rehab.)

Actually enforcing the existing rules may sound a little harsh (probably cost teams a few games), but it seems many players today almost view being shown a yellow as a badge of courage ("Sally really told her off, AND she got a yellow card." "Cool, you go Sally!"). If the coaches feel conduct on the field should be held to a higher standard... then, just do it. The rules are already in place to support the effort. All we're missing right now is the commitment.

Oh, don't forget to check out the 5 other deadly "sins", then come back and re-read the posts in this thread.

world cup
world cup
Delta Dog......right on!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Here's the part I don't understand. If the coaches want to rid the game of the proliferation of profanity and other forms of unsportsmanlike conduct being reported here, just do it. Get the Coaches Association in agreement (sounds like the coaches posting here already agree) and approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state.

Try convincing the ADs to pay for three referees. Only 2 referees were assigned the games at the Viking Cup except for the semi-finals and finals which had three each.

Quote:

I have to admit I'm not familiar with all of the local high school rules that may override FIFA's "Laws of the Game", so full enforcement of FIFA's rules on our high schools' fields may not be possible.

Since the SCHSL is not a member of USSF/FIFA, the FIFA laws do not apply to high school matches. The high school league is a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) which has its own rule book. The rules are, however, very similiar to FIFA's with some fairly minor differences. The "deadly sins" you mentioned are also send off violations under NFHS rules.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Careful what you ask for. Uniformily giving red cards (which is the required action for foul language)would only hurt SC. Remember, those in charge are not soccer people and would jump at the chance to hurt the sport.
Also, they don't enforce other "high school rules" evenly either. Embellishing is a yellow card offense in HS. How many time have you seen a player fouled then roll around on the ground like they have been stabbed. That should be a foul and then a yellow card on the "embellisher". Never seen it happen and diving/embellishing is a horrible problem in the soccer world.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Mustabeen listenin to my album before the game...Grab some ablibs out my box

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Why are only two referees assigned to each game at such a big tournament? Smaller tournaments I can understand there is not alot of money to be made but something the size and stature of the viking cup? How much more monies are we talking about? Why have three referees at the semis and finals if two were enough for most of the tournament?
What message are we sending?

As far as the rules on profanity..The rules hold no water if they are not enforced..I can hear it up in the stands and no one is being sent off the field..That does not mean that the ref should hear everything I hear..but I am sure he/she hears more of it than I do..

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
The NFHS rule states the following ejection-reasons (red card) and I quote
Quote:

spitting at an opponent, teammate or official; using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures;

a yellow card is used for incidental foul language.

Of the games this weekend I watched/observed I don't recall hearing any profanity directed at an official or another player. In fact several parents commented on Friday night how they enjoyed the majority of the teams good sportsmanship this weekend. I did hear a lot of abusive language from a parent or two though....

Last edited by SV-Dad; 03/08/10 03:18 PM.
I
goal
goal
I
Just more wood for the fire...

Had a ref this weekend worried about the net and it hanging a little, and not being tight.

THEN, he lets two boys JV teams try to kill each other.
One young man got dribbled, so the next time the kid came near him he tried to break his sternum, with an elbow. Head on crash. Chest to elbow.

Later one boy gets rid of the ball, then about a second later gets slide from behind, and lands on his neck and shoulders.

The one thing we should worry about is our childrens safety. If they are using foul language, and are spitting that starts at home and hopefully reflects on the parents and the young people. A coach can make this stop. (A good coach would)

The coaches however encourage strong physical play... and the line gets crossed, way too often.

The other night I saw one young lady take three elbow shots to the back of her neck and skull. That was supposed to be a point of emphasis... guess the ref, could not hear at all. This is not allowed in MMA, why do we allow our kids to do it?!?!

Another young lady was walking the ball out of bounds, while the other player pounded her back. Once the ball went over the end line, the pounding turned into a two hand shove, where the girl landed on her head, shoulder and chest. The ref sent her off... no card, guess srimmages are good for all sorts of violance.

Sticks and stones worry me more than words. Words can not hurt other players...

Last edited by ZEN MASTER; 03/08/10 03:51 PM.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Why are only two referees assigned to each game at such a big tournament? Smaller tournaments I can understand there is not alot of money to be made but something the size and stature of the viking cup? How much more monies are we talking about? Why have three referees at the semis and finals if two were enough for most of the tournament?
What message are we sending?

During the regular season I believe the answer is that the AD's do not want to pay for the third referee. The referee assigner for the Columbia district has told them all that he will assign three if they request it. I was at Irmo last year and we had three for all of but two home games. We also had 3 referees for every game at the Hungry Howie's tournament. My experience has been that 3 referees will be provided if the coaches/AD's request 3.

As far as the Viking Cup, it could actually be for the reason the coaches always seem to think: "There aren't enough referees". There were six tournaments running simultaneously in the Columbia district this weekend and the referee pool may be a little thin to provide three officials for that many simultaneous games.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Thanks..Coach P..
Money should not be an issue..Ask me if I am willing to pay to have a third ref..Of course I would..
But I also expect the refs to make the call..
You can have five refs on the field and the game still get out of hand..If you don't make the calls..
If this means slowing the game down until players "get it"
I'm okay with that too..

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Never seen a high school football game not bring the extra ref to a game to save money. And I'm sure they make more the soccer refs do.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
brace
brace
Kid who spit on our kid was also the one who made the 3rd PK to win it. Other player on their team said "She has problem" when she spit on out kid. Ref saw it, didn't call it. Coach did nothing. Kid laughed.

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
To me with the coach doing nothing is a disgrace. How could any coach who knows that there player spit on another player not do anything about it? WOW!!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Never seen a high school football game not bring the extra ref to a game to save money. And I'm sure they make more the soccer refs do.

This IS South Carolina, you know. And soccer is not exactly a revenue sport like gridiron football. They also pay for 3 refs to officiate on a 94 foot basketball court but only 2 for a 330 foot soccer pitch.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

To me with the coach doing nothing is a disgrace. How could any coach who knows that there player spit on another player not do anything about it? WOW!!

If you want to curb the behavior then begin addressing it appropriatly through the rules. Not only would the players become involved in the correction due to having to play down, I would guess the coaches who may currently condone the behavior would also become involved in the correction. I'm guessing they, too, would tire of constantly losing games due to playing down.

Coach P, I agree that a 3 ref system may provide more official eyes to catch some of the infractions, but ROH is talking about a recognized infraction followed by a yellow. In his report the 2 ref system didn't fail in recognizing the offense, it simply underbooked it. And, the offending player's teammate writes it all off as "she has a problem" instead of putting some pressure on the player to gain some control. ROH, forget the player was still in the game to score her penalty kick, you may not have gone to PK's if the other team had to finish the game down a player.

One of the reasons I encourage (well, maybe a little more than just encourage) my daughters to become involved in sports is the lessons learned on the field that are carried off the field. Just as in the game, society has rules, and a violation of those rules can be costly. While I want my daughters to enjoy sports in general and this beautiful game in particular simply for the pure enjoyment of playing, I also hope that they are gaining some perspective on how to function in society after leaving the pitch. A red card on the field is nothing compared to incarceration off the field, and it may be just what the player needs to avoid becoming yet another cult hero in rehab who failed to learn/benefit from the "added value" lessons of sport.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P, I agree that a 3 ref system may provide more official eyes to catch some of the infractions, but ROH is talking about a recognized infraction followed by a yellow. In his report the 2 ref system didn't fail in recognizing the offense, it simply underbooked it.

My point was that if you can't even get the coaches/ADs to request 3 referees, how could one expect to get them to "approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state."

I
goal
goal
I
Our AD agreed to getting the boys three refs. I asked him for that, he consulted the ref assigner, and they figured out our tough games - those that go physical... three refs will be there. He listened.

Well said delta dog... that is why safety bothers me so much. Kids are here just to learn some lessons. None or just a few of SC kids will be a pro soccer player, so what is this all about.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

My point was that if you can't even get the coaches/ADs to request 3 referees, how could one expect to get them to "approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state."

Coach P, I understand your point. However, asking for a third ref not only increases the demands on the coach/AD's budget it also increases the demands on the existing pool of referees available for any given game.

Requesting enforcement of existing rules... is free.

That's a pricetag even AD's can really get behind. Have a meeting of the Coaches Association, introduce the idea and see what happens. If an AD sticks his/her head in the door and asks "What are you all working on?", just reply "No worries... its free". If the idea gets shot down, then we know SCHS coaches generally accept current trends/behavior relative to spittin' and cussin'.

Maybe at that point, if there are still concerned parents they could approach the Referees Association without the coaches and make the request.

And, if that doesn't work... end of these threads, due to lack of genuine interest to affect positive change.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Careful what you ask for. Uniformily giving red cards (which is the required action for foul language)would only hurt SC. Remember, those in charge are not soccer people and would jump at the chance to hurt the sport.
Also, they don't enforce other "high school rules" evenly either. Embellishing is a yellow card offense in HS. How many time have you seen a player fouled then roll around on the ground like they have been stabbed. That should be a foul and then a yellow card on the "embellisher". Never seen it happen and diving/embellishing is a horrible problem in the soccer world.

This is very true. A.D's and the high school league look at red cards and yellow cards differently than soccer people. If there was a large increase in red cards and even yellows, I think you would see a lot of programs reprimanded and even shutdown.

Only time will tell
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
I do not have a problem with refs not giving cards for foul language. If a player uses foul language she is just making herself look bad, not to mention her team, coach, and parents. I'm ok with the coach and parents handling that however they see fit.
But i would like to see the refs tightening up on calling fouls and giving cards for dirty play and making more of an effort to protect the players. Too many games I have seen the play get rougher and rougher, dirtier and dirtier, until it escalates into players getting hurt. I've seen a player be pulled from behind by her ponytail in a high school game before another similar incident became famous! No foul- probably because the ref wasn't watching even though the player pulled from behind was dribbling the ball. I think some refs have a laissez-faire attitude toward calling girls games vs. how they would call a boys game and that is particularly aggravating. One girls game I saw I feel certain would have resulted in a bench-clearing brawl had the same things been allowed in a boys game. A foul is a foul - just call it.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

This is very true. A.D's and the high school league look at red cards and yellow cards differently than soccer people. If there was a large increase in red cards and even yellows, I think you would see a lot of programs reprimanded and even shutdown.

This question isn't meant to be an argument, just a question... you don't think the coaches and players would respond by adjusting behavior to avoid reprimand and the potential loss of opportunity to play the game?

Last edited by DeltaDog; 03/10/10 05:41 AM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard