Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Never seen a high school football game not bring the extra ref to a game to save money. And I'm sure they make more the soccer refs do.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
brace
brace
Kid who spit on our kid was also the one who made the 3rd PK to win it. Other player on their team said "She has problem" when she spit on out kid. Ref saw it, didn't call it. Coach did nothing. Kid laughed.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
To me with the coach doing nothing is a disgrace. How could any coach who knows that there player spit on another player not do anything about it? WOW!!

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Never seen a high school football game not bring the extra ref to a game to save money. And I'm sure they make more the soccer refs do.

This IS South Carolina, you know. And soccer is not exactly a revenue sport like gridiron football. They also pay for 3 refs to officiate on a 94 foot basketball court but only 2 for a 330 foot soccer pitch.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

To me with the coach doing nothing is a disgrace. How could any coach who knows that there player spit on another player not do anything about it? WOW!!

If you want to curb the behavior then begin addressing it appropriatly through the rules. Not only would the players become involved in the correction due to having to play down, I would guess the coaches who may currently condone the behavior would also become involved in the correction. I'm guessing they, too, would tire of constantly losing games due to playing down.

Coach P, I agree that a 3 ref system may provide more official eyes to catch some of the infractions, but ROH is talking about a recognized infraction followed by a yellow. In his report the 2 ref system didn't fail in recognizing the offense, it simply underbooked it. And, the offending player's teammate writes it all off as "she has a problem" instead of putting some pressure on the player to gain some control. ROH, forget the player was still in the game to score her penalty kick, you may not have gone to PK's if the other team had to finish the game down a player.

One of the reasons I encourage (well, maybe a little more than just encourage) my daughters to become involved in sports is the lessons learned on the field that are carried off the field. Just as in the game, society has rules, and a violation of those rules can be costly. While I want my daughters to enjoy sports in general and this beautiful game in particular simply for the pure enjoyment of playing, I also hope that they are gaining some perspective on how to function in society after leaving the pitch. A red card on the field is nothing compared to incarceration off the field, and it may be just what the player needs to avoid becoming yet another cult hero in rehab who failed to learn/benefit from the "added value" lessons of sport.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Coach P, I agree that a 3 ref system may provide more official eyes to catch some of the infractions, but ROH is talking about a recognized infraction followed by a yellow. In his report the 2 ref system didn't fail in recognizing the offense, it simply underbooked it.

My point was that if you can't even get the coaches/ADs to request 3 referees, how could one expect to get them to "approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state."

I
goal
goal
I
Our AD agreed to getting the boys three refs. I asked him for that, he consulted the ref assigner, and they figured out our tough games - those that go physical... three refs will be there. He listened.

Well said delta dog... that is why safety bothers me so much. Kids are here just to learn some lessons. None or just a few of SC kids will be a pro soccer player, so what is this all about.

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

My point was that if you can't even get the coaches/ADs to request 3 referees, how could one expect to get them to "approach the Referees Association and request to have the laws of the game regarding such conduct that are already in place enforced uniformly around the state."

Coach P, I understand your point. However, asking for a third ref not only increases the demands on the coach/AD's budget it also increases the demands on the existing pool of referees available for any given game.

Requesting enforcement of existing rules... is free.

That's a pricetag even AD's can really get behind. Have a meeting of the Coaches Association, introduce the idea and see what happens. If an AD sticks his/her head in the door and asks "What are you all working on?", just reply "No worries... its free". If the idea gets shot down, then we know SCHS coaches generally accept current trends/behavior relative to spittin' and cussin'.

Maybe at that point, if there are still concerned parents they could approach the Referees Association without the coaches and make the request.

And, if that doesn't work... end of these threads, due to lack of genuine interest to affect positive change.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Careful what you ask for. Uniformily giving red cards (which is the required action for foul language)would only hurt SC. Remember, those in charge are not soccer people and would jump at the chance to hurt the sport.
Also, they don't enforce other "high school rules" evenly either. Embellishing is a yellow card offense in HS. How many time have you seen a player fouled then roll around on the ground like they have been stabbed. That should be a foul and then a yellow card on the "embellisher". Never seen it happen and diving/embellishing is a horrible problem in the soccer world.

This is very true. A.D's and the high school league look at red cards and yellow cards differently than soccer people. If there was a large increase in red cards and even yellows, I think you would see a lot of programs reprimanded and even shutdown.

Only time will tell
L
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
L
I do not have a problem with refs not giving cards for foul language. If a player uses foul language she is just making herself look bad, not to mention her team, coach, and parents. I'm ok with the coach and parents handling that however they see fit.
But i would like to see the refs tightening up on calling fouls and giving cards for dirty play and making more of an effort to protect the players. Too many games I have seen the play get rougher and rougher, dirtier and dirtier, until it escalates into players getting hurt. I've seen a player be pulled from behind by her ponytail in a high school game before another similar incident became famous! No foul- probably because the ref wasn't watching even though the player pulled from behind was dribbling the ball. I think some refs have a laissez-faire attitude toward calling girls games vs. how they would call a boys game and that is particularly aggravating. One girls game I saw I feel certain would have resulted in a bench-clearing brawl had the same things been allowed in a boys game. A foul is a foul - just call it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard