Page 1 of 2 1 2
#130579 03/08/10 08:17 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

The varsity match between Hanna and Dorman in Anderson has been cancelled. The JV match will still be played at 6 tonight.

I didn't know if I should post this or not, but then I thought that there might be people from out of town that were thinking about coming to the game.

Both teams had a long weekend of soccer and thankfully, Coach Lorenz was willing to honor my request to cancel. The problem is that the HS league has traditionally allowed the VC to be played a week before the season starts. That was good because it allows a week of recovery and practice. This year the request was denied and both of us have very important region matches coming up.

Personally, I gave my girls today off. You can imagine the physical toll that so many tough great matches can have on their young bodies.

Is it to much to ask a soccer team to play up to 5 games at a high level tournament in a 40 hour span?
My opinion, yes. By the fourth and fifth game the girls are physically and mentally spent.

R
corner kick
corner kick
R
USYSA is pushing for a one game a day limit .. unfortunately dollar signs are more important than player development & individual safety!

BTW: When all is considered, on any given week, the average SC high school athlete spends more time 'playing' soccer than most professionals do! How is that 'more is better' theory working out for everyone!!

L
Goal
Goal
L
i think NCYSA has implemented a 1 game per day rule with league games. or it was a few years ago. Hurst may be more up to speed with NC game guide lines these days.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Is it too much for the COACHES parents or kids...?

Soccer is an endurance sport..look at the Mauldin/Bishop-England game at VC - Mauldin literally wore out a STRONG & skillfull BE team.

world cup
world cup
let,
first touch can confirm it but I believe NCYSA limits league matches to 1 per day.

SV-Dad,
Give Mauldin a little more credit than that.....they "wear out" a lot of teams by putting them under extreme pressure, not simply by superior conditioning. Watch out! Waccamaw might "wear out" BE this season too.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
I always enjoyed having two matches in a day when I was younger...given that you had enough time in between to get a light lunch and relax a little.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Hey SV Dad, you missed the point!

The fact that it is an endurance sport is why soccer schedules need to be better managed!

Perhaps Blatter will consider a VC like schedule for the biggie this summer!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

I always enjoyed having two matches in a day when I was younger...given that you had enough time in between to get a light lunch and relax a little.

Kitten,
"light lunch" being the operative term. Looked to me like a few teams might have over-indulged between games in Columbia and did not have their best showing in their second match.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
corner kick
corner kick
Sounds you like silly coach-type peoples need to crack the whip on them kids more! Back in my day, we had RULES I tell you!

;-)

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
U
throw in
throw in
U
CJ, coach Lorenz and you need to be commended. You guys put the players first, eliminating the chance for injury, stress and burnout. This isn't always recognized for young athletes at this age. Hope you guys rub off on coaches at "ALL" levels.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

CJ, coach Lorenz and you need to be commended. You guys put the players first, eliminating the chance for injury, stress and burnout. This isn't always recognized for young athletes at this age. Hope you guys rub off on coaches at "ALL" levels.

Totally agree, good call coaches. my source tells me deal was made @ VC after both teams advanced to semi's.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard