Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
U
throw in
throw in
U
It might not for soccer, but think about the other sports at each middle school. Besides, I understand that by cutting middle school sports, all they are cutting is coaching supplements. Why not just cut the supplements in half or more than that? What they need to understand is that coaches on the middle school level coach not for the money, but for the pure enjoyment of coaching. Many times, kids learn the basic fundamentals of the game from the middle school program.

As a high school soccer coach and middle school football coach, I think that cutting the middle school athletic programs will set back the high school programs. Many times, middle school age kids have other avenues to play the same sports and still are able to compete on the same level. Club soccer and Pony League baseball come to mind. But, let's face the facts, in Lexington County, middle school football is light-years ahead of Rec. League football. The same can be said for basketball, but they also have AAU to fall back on.

I hope that they can find a way to keep it around. I would hate to see student discipline if you can't hold athletics over their heads.

G
kick off
kick off
G
I agree with you all the way, coach. I was just pointing out on this soccer-related forum that the cuts wouldn't have much impact on soccer in Lexington 1.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Fort Mill middle school sports options weighed
The (Rock Hill) Herald
April 13, 2010
by Toya Graham

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/04/13/2085167/middle-school-sports-options-weighed.html

Still no real solution. If the local town rec departments provide opportunities for these kids, but they are not on the same team as their classmates, and their school name is not on their jersey.....is it still middle school sports?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
"It was never our intention to cut middle school sports but move it to another entity," board Chairman Patrick White said Monday night.

Really? Who should be running school sports, a non school entity? If they never meant to cut them why would they say "We have to cut them."? Why not come out from the get go and say they were looking to find another way to fund them.

"If middle sports are not offered, we would be willing to assume them (the students) into our program," Hudspeth said. "Students would sign up, and they would be put on teams without any regard to where they go to school."

This sounds like a rec program, which we already have in Fort Mill areas. This would not be "middle school sports". Are you going to keep a kid off the rec team for bad grades or poor behavior in school? Many teachers will tell you that behavior issues will be a very large problem for some students who normally "tow the line" during the sports seasons. Coaches in the school can be relied on to talk to "their" players/students to help keep them "focused".

U
throw in
throw in
U
That is the complaint that a lot of us have about the chance of middle school sports being dropped. As a middle school football coach, I would hate to see it go. If the rec league is going to absorb the middle school football players, then they need to look at what the City of Charleston does. They have two rec football teams for each Middle School, a 12-13 yr. old and 13-14 yr. old team. The teams are comprised of kids from that middle school, the uniforms are the school colors, and they use the school name, mascot, and logos. So, without the school having to pay for travel and refs, they are playing. Some of the teachers from the school are the coaches too. They also have to be "academically" eligible to play.

Hurst66 Offline OP
world cup
OP Offline
world cup
Fort Mill leaders OK pay-to-play for schools
The (Rock Hill) Herald
April 28, 2010
by Toya Graham

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/04/28/2124664/fort-mill-leaders-ok-pay-to-play.html

Middle school sports saved (that's good!)

$100 a pop to play (that's bad.)

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
C
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
C
At least it is an option.

Brace
Brace
No diff than Fort Mill HS currently charging a $100 a pop to play. Why FM $100 and Rock Hill $25?

brace
brace
Booster clubs will still need to raise about $35,000 to make it work too, but at least it is an option. I wonder if they are going to cut back to single team in fall and winter sports like spring, ie one football team vice 7th and 8th grade teams.

U
throw in
throw in
U
I know that the people of Fort Mill are happy about this. I sure hope that Lexington 1 will be able to find a solution too. As for your other question, I have never understood the deal with a 7th grade team and a 8th grade team. Maybe it is because we have never had enough kids to field two teams. But, my thoughts are get the best athletes on one team and prepare them to play high school ball.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard