Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The Chief #130704 03/12/10 12:36 PM
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
OH SHOOT….. and this is quick so I can get to work- there may be typos and incomplet thoughts but hopefully you will get the idea...

I thought I was done but what the heck.
To go along with what Chass is saying about the current legality or not of some such and such being based on the current OR THEN whims of the court depending on when the decision was made and who was sitting on the court is absolutely true. This is why appointment of federal Judges is such a big deal to the political party in office. Winning the Presidency or Congressional position is a “great win for the team” but when your team also gets to appoint a judge or two, especially a member of the Supreme Court…WOOHOOO… That’s like securing home field advantage until someone else steps down or dies leaving another vacancy on the court.
There have been many instances when interpretation and direct amendment to the Constitution have changed the very fabric of the society in which we live. Roe v Wade.. 18th and then 21st Amendments which is a perfect example of a vocal minority getting out the vote to implement a change that the majority either did not care about or were specifically against, The 21st Amendment is democracy in action, overturning the 18th Amendment. Row v Wade is another example of course of times a changing. MANY people are trying to get that decision revisited.
Here at home- have you ever heard of Briggs v. Elliott. I used to teach and live in the very town that all started in and actually knew families from both sides of that case. Things change as do times and course and opinions.
Specifically regarding God since we are talking about prayer – just yesterday a San Francisco Federal Court upheld the right to say the pledge in school. BTW- the phrase ‘Under God” was not added to the pledge until 1954- it was written in 1892- things change
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100311/ap_on_re_us/us_god_and_government
The 1st Amendment also guarantees the freedom of assembly and petition and assembly for the purpose of redressing grievances- Hmmmm? OK- we no longer pray before games. We are ASSEMBLING to air our GRIVIENCES….
Interpretation…..

Man this is fun- I think I just found my lesson for today!!

tk

Tony King
Meredith #130705 03/12/10 12:39 PM
L
Goal
Goal
L
I’ve got no problem with players praying and they should have a choice of praying to a “higher power” of their own choice. It gets off track when they are required to pray to “your” or "our" God or “your” or "our" Jesus. There are religions other than Christianity, you know and they should be respected, too.

brace
brace
The problem with the thrust of that argument is that it is always assumed that the majority practicing in some way does not show respect to other religions. Thus saying those of the minority are being disrespected? How do you fight that? The "peer pressure" argument usually follows closely on the heals of the respect thing and down the slope we slide....

Wonder what they do at Notre Dame? If you are Jewish there but play football do you have to pretend to be Catholic? NO I know they don't but the absurdity of the thought seems like where those opposed to "prayer" see it ending up. I really wonder what they do there, and many other religiously based colleges?

The Chief #130707 03/12/10 01:17 PM
S
goal
goal
S
i dunno, maybe we shouldn't sidetrack god with our soccer games. he/she/it should probably focus on bigger issues around the world.

sandman #130708 03/12/10 01:31 PM
brace
brace
WHAT!!!There is something bigger than SC Soccer?!?! Oh wait I get it your talking about the world cup aren't you!! Very slick of you to change the topic to world cup!

Come on after all why do you think no one plays soccer in a dome?? Of course so God can watch!

PS I am pretty sour you are going to blank for not capitalizing his/her/it's name!

sandman #130709 03/12/10 01:36 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
whew- I usually sit back and learn from you guys here but I could not help but go back and reread the title to this thread. It says "set the tone"- somehow I was hoping to get some insight as to what you do to prep your teams for the mental state of mind and the focus needed to elevate the team to perform better than the collective singular. Seems as if somehow the thread shifted from ideals of work ethics, honor, character, good sportsmanship and love of competition to a discussion that by its very nature, cannot be defined for everyone.
My grandfather used to say (usually before one of us got into trouble- but it applys in lots of situations) "Son- down that path lies pain"- Both he and my father were ministers and I hold a deep sense of personal belief-key word being "personal"- every one has to come to their own terms and follow as best they are able, their personal savior's teachings.
I am not trying to step on anyone's beliefs or otherwise, but I would like to know some of the "rituals" you use to inspire your team to be on task mentally. What methods do you use to instill a consistant mental bearing before taking to the pitch.

Now, pass the popcorn...

The Chief #130710 03/12/10 01:52 PM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
This is South Carolina...A church on every corner of every town big or small..
What is the prayer about before most sporting events?
Good sportsmanship..Player's safety.
The prayer lasts what? less than thirty seconds
I think it's more about repect and about the generations that did it before us..

I don't think Kitten had a problem with the prayer..Her problem was feeling forced or compelled to pray

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
soccerforlife,
My daughter would always tune everything out a few minutes before each match and just concentrate on what she wanted to accomplish over the next ninety minutes..I think this has helped her focus more on the field.

The Chief #130712 03/12/10 02:44 PM
S
goal
goal
S
not to mention march madness, gods busy this time of year.

sandman #130713 03/12/10 02:52 PM
brace
brace
March madness?? is that the start of regular season

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard