Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tony King #130744 03/15/10 06:19 PM
D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

Gospel Soccer team.... I just had the image of the girls warming up in Habits... can you imagine the uproar that would cause. (Habits are the headcoverings that nuns wear)

Never actually saw the show but being able to fly around the field like Sally Field would sure come in handy; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Nun

I wonder what injury would replace all my ACL troubles.

tk

Habits are the full set of garments. I believe the headpiece is called a "coif". Watched that show every week. Hey, I've never seen them play, but maybe that's how Bishop England keeps racking up all those championships.

DeltaDog #130745 03/15/10 06:41 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
Gospel Soccer team mmm... TK, maybe you could appoint a captain named Moses who would split the defense like the Red Sea and lead their team to the promise land! Oh wait, Moses never did make it to the promise land because the people complained too much of what had been provided for them. Some grumbling about Moses praying

Meredith #130746 03/15/10 06:52 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Our group must be out of touch... every Friday night, during the pre game stuff a young person would get on the load speaker and do a little speaking to the big guy, about this and that. Heard that at more than one place is SC this past year.

Our coach would always do it with the team before the game started, but that was a few..mmm... 26 years ago.

If it is that big a deal the "In God We trust" thing on our coins need to change. The penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and all the bills I had, are the same way.

I guess those folks who do not believe do not use money, either...

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

I guess those folks who do not believe do not use money, either...

So, are you concluding that opposition to some forms of pregame prayer only comes from folks who do not believe in God?

DeltaDog #130748 03/15/10 08:04 PM
corner kick
corner kick
Technically, "In God We Trust" on money doesn't endorse one single religion over another. Christianity/Judaism/Islam all recognize the same god of origin as Brothers of the Book, just in different manners (take from that what you will). And most people don't pay it any attention as anything more than a token saying that we never think about unless someone brings it up or we're really bored and looking at coinage--or if you're just looking to make trouble.

I think most of the people arguing the "against" side aren't saying no prayer EVER...we just want to make sure that the environment is open and comfortable for everyone, not just those of that prayer's faith. And honestly, that is not an easy thing to do in general, especially in this case. Not many 15-18 year olds are going to be comfortable talking with a coach about alternatives for their faith or lack thereof, much less be the only one or two people who don't join a larger huddle on field in front of a crowd for a devotional. And it's hard to know how the coach/people will receive the information anyway. S/he could be the most devout person ever and completely open and non-biased to the idea or an "I'm only religious on Sundays" person and yet consciously or subconsciously hold it against them...and everything in between.

Yes, we want to teach our children tolerance, but if you're only teaching tolerance for one thing and not others...is it really tolerance you're teaching?

My main point is to just remind people that there are kids of other faiths and to be sensitive to them. You don't have to tell your kids they can't take their faith on the field, but find solutions that allow them options that don't require them to display it in the spotlight of the field with all the fans watching. Like DD said, meet early before the game for prayer, in the locker room or the parking lot or wherever, and then start warm-ups. Instead of having one specific prayer, let everyone go around in a circle and say a few words, whether they're to Jesus or Allah or God or Krishna or just to play hard and be happy. Or do an anonymous comments box or online vote and see if everyone's okay with what is being done and continue to do so.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
DeltaDog #130749 03/15/10 08:05 PM
I
goal
goal
I
NO, not at all... political correctness is just blowing it all out of prop. I was stretching it to make point. Those who try to block it are doing so for what reason? So their child will not be offended, or converted by a Baptist, saying a prayer, or any variation on that.?!?.?!?!?

Please just take it as a weird point... those who want pure seperation of church and state, handle and use money every day... with "in god we trust" written on it, get the point?

We as a country were partly founded on the belief, it is okay for different people to believe different things. Why has it changed so much? Will a 5 second prayer change any devote persons belief system? I doubt it. I have never heard a back handed comment over the PA system at any game any where, any time. Only once in a Baptist Church, and it just came out wrong... a lot like most of my posts.

I
goal
goal
I
Well said...

Strictly speaking some folks do not believe, in certain things... so the "in god we trust" is ironic for them, if they use money.

I believe and spend plenty of money, almost as fast as I get it, so...

I
goal
goal
I
please do not take anything said or written by me wrong here, please... this is a delicate subject, I really should have stayed away from it.

D
Goal
Goal
D
No way, with a name like "ZEN MASTER" you've got to stick around.

Quote:

NO, not at all... political correctness is just blowing it all out of prop. I was stretching it to make point. Those who try to block it are doing so for what reason? So their child will not be offended, or converted by a Baptist, saying a prayer, or any variation on that.?!?.?!?!?

Please just take it as a weird point... those who want pure seperation of church and state, handle and use money every day... with "in god we trust" written on it, get the point?

We as a country were partly founded on the belief, it is okay for different people to believe different things. Why has it changed so much? Will a 5 second prayer change any devote persons belief system? I doubt it. I have never heard a back handed comment over the PA system at any game any where, any time. Only once in a Baptist Church, and it just came out wrong... a lot like most of my posts.

Those who try to block it are doing so for what reason? So their child will not be offended, or converted by a Baptist, saying a prayer, or any variation on that.?!?.?!?!?

Well, yes. But, I don't think this is the issue here. I think the issue here is the state (U.S. Goverment) believes it cannot have an actual or perceived sponsorship or endorsement role in the event of a pregame prayer. To be involved would be considered by the state to be unconstitutional. And, because the state's position is based on the Constitution, specifically the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment, it doesn't believe it's trying to block it. It believes it's involvement is already blocked. Because the coach acting in his role as coach is considered an agent of the state, it believes his/her involvement is also already blocked.

We as a country were partly founded on the belief, it is okay for different people to believe different things. Why has it changed so much?

I don't think it has. I've yet to see a court decision that restricted an individual's freedom to believe. The reason I referenced the Cheerleaders v. UGA case was to point out that while the state would not support the coach's actions in the role of coach (agent of the state) toward the 2 cheerleaders, it did continue to support the coach's right to hold Bible classes even on UGA property.

Will a 5 second prayer change any devote persons belief system?

What about the lack of one?

Actually, some of the posts here would indicate some believe a 5 second prayer should be conducted, because it can affect change in an individual's belief system. Again, a process in which the state believes it has no right to become involved.

DeltaDog #130753 03/16/10 02:52 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Legal or not..This is what it means to me in a nutshell..
I went to school in the 60s and 70s..While I did not grow up with a church going family..Everyday after roll call in school..
We recited the lord's prayer,the pledge of alligence and the national anthem..Not on fridays..Everyday!!
I can still recite all three..The next time you are at a sporting event with your hat off your head and your hand on your heart while the anthem is being played..take a look around and see who is standing at attention and who is just killing time..
Before ball games we would say a prayer and I would hate for that to fall to the waist side because a few are offended..What next? stop with the national anthem..Hey!! We don't want to offend anyone..
I have been to church's and gatherings where their god was not my god..Was I offended? No..I put my head down out of respect for others..That's what you do..
How many today can recite the pledge of alligence?
I guess I am just old fashioned that way or maybe still have some moral fiber

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard