Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Goal
Goal
D
I guess I started school in the 50's (whole LOT of "majority in power" types of things going on back then). While I remember saying the Pledge of Allegience at the beginning of the day, I don't recall saying the Lord's Prayer. Some of the teams I played on did recite the Lord's Prayer before competing. At the end "...deliver us from evil. Amen" I would clap, shout "Go Wave" (yep, your neck of the woods), and run out on the field. What I never understood was what the rest of the team was rambling on about, still in the huddle, when I was already headed out to the field.

DeltaDog #130755 03/16/10 03:48 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I remember saying the lord's prayer thru most of elementary school in N.Charleston..So you played for young John..Cool.

I
goal
goal
I
I too have that memory, just of another place, and set of kids. I still get chills when we do the national anthem, before a football game, blood pressure, and energy go up almost automatically... Funny thing is, I am trying to get a flag up before the soccer matches so we can do all the right stuff before those as well.

D
Goal
Goal
D
(Bear, where did your post that brought a national perspective to this discussion go? I believe your post, however briefly posted, included all the points of the debate, thus far, including one key questions of the tests of constitutionallity.)

Bringing the national anthem and flag into the discussion may offer some perspective on the rest of the debate. We ARE supposed to stand at attention facing the national flag during the national anthem, and somewhere along the line we also learn to fight to defend the country and constitution that that flag represents. Now, at none of the public school stadiums will you find the flags of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. flying next to the Stars and Stripes. However, I have yet to read a post of anyone here feeling offended or violated of rights due to the absence.

Quote:

I too have that memory...

CHT & ZEN, I apologize for the subtlety of the point I was trying to make. I was the player standing alone on the field feeling egg on my face, because my version of the Lord's Prayer does not include the doxology found at the end of my teammates' version. I may be wrong, but I don't think that was a memory we shared.

(Coach Chass, I finally found how your post vanished into ether. )

DeltaDog #130758 03/17/10 12:00 AM
M
throw in
throw in
M
I’m with you DeltaDog. I remember the uneasy feeling in public grade school during the morning’s Lord’s Prayer when I stopped at “.... and deliver us from evil”. My mother told me to just be silent at the end of the prayer. I felt different. I was the only one in the class that did not say the whole prayer.

I also remember a county school employee (bus driver) telling me that I was not “saved” because I was Catholic. I was nine years old. My skills at argumentation and debate were not quite as well-honed at that time. I’ll never forget it.

True stories. Until you have walked that mile it might be hard to understand. Prayer in public schools is illegal. You can debate until the cows come home. It's the law.

Marta #130759 03/17/10 12:15 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Marta,
Do your kids pray in school?

M
throw in
throw in
M
With all due respect coldhardtruth, that's a rhetorical question and irrelevant. My kids don't go to public school.

Marta #130761 03/17/10 01:59 AM
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It's not illegal..It just can not be lead by a state employee..I guess you knew that I already knew the answer to my question..

D
Goal
Goal
D
nor can it take place at the suggestion of a state employee.

DeltaDog #130763 03/17/10 02:27 AM
D
Goal
Goal
D
I had a middle school goalkeeper that you could hear from the sideline praying out loud every time the opposing team crossed midfield with possession. No problem. Unfortunately, I was not allowed before the game to tell her to stand over to the side and pray for rain.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard