Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tony King #130694 03/12/10 04:03 AM
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Tony, I would ask you to google 'our founding fathers were not christians' but you might be best served if you just re-read kittens comments!

RECCOS #130695 03/12/10 05:19 AM
T
corner kick
corner kick
T
You asked me to do a Google search and re-read Kitten's remarks- I did both

What I took from Kitten’s post was that they were not in favor of prayer at sporting events because it may be uncomfortable and even possibly alienating for some who are not of a religious nature. If I am wrong about that understanding I apologize.

Next came my statement that we pray before our games, and I made a snide remark about being a rebel which if you knew me would have been an inside joke because I am far from being a trouble maker.

Then came your comment to research the Founding Fathers a bit more and your support of Kittens position.

Next I gave my opinion that I thought it not so important to research what the Founding Fathers put forth but rather how their work has been interpreted and how those interpretations have subsequently been placed in to practice either through actual written law or judicial decisions and resulting precedence.

You asked me to do a Google search and re-read Kitten’s comments. I did both.

The search yielded lots of websites mainly skewed to a particular point of view which I neither condemn or condone with some websites with counter claims or points of view. Then, just for kicks and pretty certain of the result it would yield, I took out the work “not” and redid the search and again found lots of websites mainly skewed to a particular point of view which I neither condemn or condone with some websites with counter claims or points of view. Website searches –IN MY PERSONAL OPINION- are like statistics- they can usually be skewed to prove or disprove a position and while based in fact can often be misleading or down right incorrect.

The reexamination of Kitten’s remarks simply led me back to the same understanding as before- that they are not in favor of prayer at sporting events because it may alienate or make someone uncomfortable. I think that is a fine opinion to have. It is not in line with my own but a perfectly fine opinion to have.

I could be wrong but are you thinking that I am taking exception with Kitten’s position? If so, I assure you that is not the case, I was merely stating the fact that my girls do pray before games and poking some fun at the whole argument.

When I re-read your last post it seemed to me that you were turning the discussion towards an argument of whether or not Founding Fathers had a religious affiliation at all which is an entirely different and long road to hoe but ultimately with some potential bearing on this topic- sorry I just don’t have the energy to go down that row right now.

Let me end my contributions with this. If my girls want to pray before the game then we do. If a majority do not, then I guess we would not. Anyone who has a different routine or opinion, hey, that’s fine too!

tk

Tony King
Tony King #130696 03/12/10 05:46 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Teachers, coaches, etc. cannot lead a group prayer. To do so would be viewed as school endorsement of a specific religion, which is unconstitutional under the principle of separation of church and state.

(Doe v. Santa Fe Independent School District, 168 F.3rd 806 [5th Cir. 1999]) prohibited school-sponsored student prayer activity at sporting events. School-sponsored student prayer is prohibited by the constitution; student-sponsored student prayer is free speech protected by the constitution.

In actuality, this is simply an interpretation of the Constitution by a Supreme Court that happened to be sitting at the time. A little-known fact is that the words "separation of church and state" never appear in the Constitution; they are, again, an interpretation by a group of individuals who happened to hold power when the issue was reviewed.

The First Amendment simply says:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Now, I realize I'm not a lawyer; I'm just a simple soccer coach and English teacher, but I'd have to say it's a bit of a stretch to interpret "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" to actually mean "no coach can lead a prayer at a school athletic event" (I for one don't carry quite the weight of Congress and even my players don't take my word as absolute law), and to say that "nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof" means "you are prohibited by law to pray with your team if you happen to be a state employee" seems to be an even farther stretch, just from a rhetorical analysis perspective. The words of the amendment just don't match up with the application handed down by our modern legal minds.

Historical perspective on the founding fathers' most likely reasons for and intent of the amendment upon request.

I've got good news and bad news...
goal kick
goal kick
I agree with kitten and RECCOS on this one. Just because the majority of your team would like to pray doesn't necessarily make it right. Believe or not schools aren't and shouldn't be run like a democracy where majority rules. Kitten is right on in saying that if one or two people on the team were uncomfortable with praying before a game, then they would be reluctant to say anything about it because of the fact that they are by far the minority.

If everyone on the team has no problem with praying before a game then power to you, but most likely there might be one person who isn't comfortable doing it.That one person isn't going to come forward and say that they would rather the team not pray. I think it would be best that if your teammates felt like praying before the game, then they should say an individual prayer.

And just curious Coach Chass, are you questioning the Supreme Courts ruling?

Last edited by shirtless bernie; 03/12/10 06:09 AM.

G'd up from the feet up
brace
brace
Excellent discussion with thought and information rather than people throwing out insults and opinion as fact.

I wonder how the founding fathers, who were mostly Masons, would react to the thought that someone who wanted to lead a prayer session would be prohibited from doing so by their government. They were against state imposed/controlled religion, think Church of England or Catholic Church, not religion itself.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

And just curious Coach Chass, are you questioning the Supreme Courts ruling?

On that specific ruling, absolutely. I see nothing in the wording of the amendment itself or in the historical context in which it was written to support that particular interpretation, only the political pressure brought to bear by more modern schools of thought.

For the record, I agree with Kitten that we are responsible for ALL of our players and students and shouldn't knowingly put them in positions where they may feel alienated. I also believe that if a team, as a group, asks in the huddle, "Coach, could you say a prayer with us" it's just as bad to say, "Nope, can't do it, that would be illegal."

I would also put forth that very few great things have ever been accomplished in this world without the possibility of maybe, somewhere, making someone of some particular school of thought somewhat uncomfortable. Just throwing that out there.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Just because the majority of your team would like to pray doesn't necessarily make it right.

And also, by the same note, just because 6 out of 9 judges surveyed agree with a particular interpretation, that doesn't make it "right" either. It's of interest to note that three people with presumably the same credentials as the others (and much greater than I possess) also disagreed.

brace
brace
Dread Scott was 7-2 and I would think most people would say they got it totally wrong on that one. The supreme court is more a reflection of the political mood of the country during which the justices were appointed rather than a reflection of the intent of the founding fathers.
"Living Document" vs "Strict Constructionist" is the current day battle but the theme is the same social engineering vs founding intent.

The Chief #130702 03/12/10 08:05 AM
brace
brace
By the way it was never overturned and technically stands a as ruling.

It was however made mostly irrelevant by the 14th amendment.

The Chief #130703 03/12/10 12:15 PM
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I am with Tony on this one. My great uncle JW Rahde was chiefly responsible for having inscribed "In God We Trust" on American currency. Therefore, the religious fiber that flows through my veins will stand for what is right here. I do not expel or discriminate against any student/athlete for not praying with the team (the love of my Lord is strong). In fact, they may choose not to and I am okay with that. However, I have observed student/athletes over the years getting down on their team and showing no faith or hope to win a game when they feel they are over matched. I think you need a little faith, because without it there is no hope.
My captains lead a prayer before the game. If I get fired for believing in Jesus Christ, well... I am okay with that too.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard