Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#131329 03/18/10 02:00 AM
P
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
P
Someone said that the scores thread is for scores and not for criticizing referees. So, why don't we have a thread for criticizing refs?
So here's my complaint. When I got my badge, I learned that JOB 1 is protecting the safety of the players. Well, as a ref you can't really protect the players--you cannot prevent bad tackles. The only power you have is the card. But if the ref doesn't have the balls to throw the card on a studs up sliding tackle, then he isn't protecting the players, is he?
And then when he threatens me with a card for quietly, not loudly and publicly, pointing out what JOB 1 is, he just compounds the error. So he's got great courage to card a coach for pointing out his inadequacy, but not to protect the players on the pitch.
IMHO.

PaulSchleifer #131330 03/18/10 11:16 AM
I
goal
goal
I
My favorite one of the year was at Jekyll at the Tournament of Champions.

First play... keeper on the ground ball behind her, our forward sliding by her to go to goal, keeper reaches up and out to grab forwards foot to pull her down. Should have been a red on Keeper. Forward got called for a foul.

Same ref... same keep... second half.
Another forward was chasing down a ball near the end line. The ball some how bounces high... about 7 feet in the air. Forward in position to trap and take off. Keep has being coming out and when she gets there... ball remeber is 7 feet in the air... she slides into forwards knee. Almost broke her in half. NO CALL. If the keep would have went high and blasted the forward I might could have seen it... She meant to hurt the girl... that is the only way it could have been read.

funny the refs worry about entering the field, and if their foot is up on a throw in, but trying to kill each other... well we shall not worry about that.

Wierd the best set of refs I have seen this year were there... and the worst. It really is the same all over.

L
Goal
Goal
L
many (not all) HS refs don't care about the women's game and only there to make a buck and going through the motions. don't want to pull too many cards and never a red and have to complete the paperwork. sometimes it takes a bunch of hard fouls w/out any intent of playing the ball and late in the 2nd half before they pull the 1st yellow.

P
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
P
On the issue of egregiously hard fouls: I, having started this thread, obviously agree that refs need to grow a pair when such fouls happen.
OTOH, what are we as coaches doing. If we have a player who commits such a foul, are we pulling them out, sitting them down, and explaining that such plays have no place in the game?
If you leave a player in the game who injures another person, card or no card, aren't you condoning the behavior. As the coach of the player who got taken out I'm upset that the ref did almost nothing. But I also blame the coach who tolerates that kind of play.

PaulSchleifer #131333 03/18/10 04:06 PM
G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
I love when refs show up to games in bad moods and they let be known during games. I had a player last season going for a bouncing ball and other teams player jumped and tried to kick it out of the air but instead planted his foot into my players chest. No foul called from ref 5 yards away, so I of course yell out "Ref that has to be a foul and a card" then the ref threatens to toss me out of the game for saying something?? This early in the first half. Oh and his explanation for no foul was My player was going for the ball. ??? Well i would hope he was going for it!

ghs26 #131334 03/18/10 04:46 PM
B
goal kick
goal kick
B
I agree with Paul that coaches can help police his/her players when things get a bit out of hand. 2 girls in the AMHS/Barnwell game last night got tangled up in the midfield and you could see that emotions were rising. Coach Allen immediately pulled his player off the field, spoke with her, and placed her back in the game when she had relaxed. His actions were swift and helped the game stay in check. Coaches know their players and which ones are more apt to let their emotions take over. The refs have a job to do and some are better at it than others. The same is true of all professions.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Post deleted by IRMOGSOCCER

Kellie Herndon #131336 03/18/10 06:44 PM
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

It is also great when you ask about a call at half time and the ref says " I saw what you saw sir, but have to agree with my linesman, coach"...

In the 3-referee system (diagonal system of control), the center ref makes the decisions and he is responsible for those decisions. He can decide to overrule the assistant referee (fomerly known as linesman) and wave off the flag if he sees it differently. He does NOT have to agree with the "linesman".

Coach P #131337 03/18/10 07:17 PM
throw in
throw in
I like it when a ref shows up late for a game and immediately starts making calls for the other team. Also wears a bandana and makes weird signals such as The Karate Kid Krane kick for an offsides.

Laces out DAN!!!
Ray Finkel #131338 03/18/10 07:46 PM
Goal
Goal
Refs are human and make mistakes

/thread

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard