Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
UncleBuck #131349 03/19/10 03:16 AM
C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Refs/ Coaches have no effect on the outcome of a game.players do.

You know, if I believed this were true, I'd probably sleep a lot better after an unsatisfactory outcome instead of going over and over in my head how I could have a better effect on the next outcome.

Truth is, anyone who has an influence on the course of the game has an effect on the outcome, for better or for worse. In a perfect world, the players would have the greatest effect on the outcome, the coaches less, and the officials little discernable effect at all. Decisions made by both coaches and officials, though, put constraints on the players and can definitely greatly affect the outcome of their efforts--again, for better or for worse, depending on the quality of those decisions.

I've got good news and bad news...
UncleBuck #131350 03/19/10 03:37 AM
brace
brace
Just to provide a frame of reference: at the Fort Mill vs Mauldin playoff (boys) game two years ago Ft Mill was up by two with about 5 min to go Mauldin (who had been aggressive all game long) was getting very physical and a player made a bad, you can call it dirty but I will simply call it what it was a bad foul that got him a yellow card. Problem was it was his second card, out he goes. FT Mill scores again right way now it is 3-0 game over right? Well the Mauldin players, mostly seniors decided to go out with a bang two more red cards in next two minutes. One included a Mauldin player sitting on a FT Mill player banging the Ft Mill players head into the ground. Ref called the game after third card with 3 min to go, down 3 with only 8 players and they were clearly intent on hurting/ getting FT Mill players red cards, game over.
Next time FT Mill played Mauldin, next season a FT Mill player got his collar bone broken, just a fluke or a dirty play? Those at the game called it dirty but since I was not there I will not judge it. From what I understand FT Mill will no longer schedule Mauldin for regular season games.
So, yes the players sometimes go after players to hurt them no doubt, and refs have/need to see it and control it or it will get out of hand.

PaulSchleifer #131351 03/19/10 03:55 AM
brace
brace
I have known players (my own children) to be encouraged, by coaches, to play rough/physical till the whistle. Once the ref shows the players what they can and can't do they pull back. Problem is some players do not how to play physical without playing dirty.
Anyone who thinks refs do not impact the play is dreaming. The job of a ref is to impact the play, they are there to administer the game and make judgments. Failure to make call is much an impact as making them.

Good refs find a balance where they establish to the players how close they will call it while still letting the players play the game.

The Chief #131352 03/19/10 02:13 PM
I
goal
goal
I
Uncle Buck, not to beat a dead horse or to argue with you. I do want to say, I have seen kids try to hurt each other, the keeper I mentioned a few posts ago, went for a knee - just one example. I have seen punches thrown. The chief described a head being banged off the ground. We all watch the games, so we see what is actually happening.

The true measure of a ref to me is, if they seem like they are not there, and they control the game - control meaning the rough stuff. If they do not it will escualte, up, and up, and up... The ball can be won with force. If it is allowed to grow during a match, the force has to grow,to continue to win the ball. The more force that is allow to be used, the higher the likelyhood of injuries.

The young lady who got into so much trouble last year during the college season. That was a simple build up between two players. Player 1 threw an elbow, to her chest... she returned the favor with a punch to the back.(to me same relative level of violance - two yellows should have been shown, but because they were not) Player one grabs her private parts, for some reason, then player 2 grabs her hair and throws her to the ground. One college career down the tubes because of the lack of calls. How this was edited varied across the media. Opinions were determined by the version you saw.

In a game the other night I saw my youngest holding her elbow as if she was hurt and trying to look at the skin on the inside part. Come to find out a girl on the other team was scratching the fool out of the girls, no less than 4 showed me claw marks, left by #10.

I do not know how fights go where you come from Uncle Buck. But heads beat on the ground, punches thrown, hair pulled, scratching... Sounds like a fight to me. Big John McCarthy might be needed after all.

Ray Finkel #131353 03/20/10 04:36 AM
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I like it when a ref shows up late for a game and immediately starts making calls for the other team. Also wears a bandana and makes weird signals such as The Karate Kid Krane kick for an offsides.

. Hahahahahaha yesssssss! Also don't you just love those refs that have those giant egos/cocky attitude thinking they are the almighty ones hanging high on their scaffold? Thinking they run this town like Jay-Z and Rihanna?

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
PaulSchleifer #131354 04/29/10 04:42 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
There seems to be several postings on broken tibias, torn acls, and other injuries this high school season. What is everyone's opinion. Is the rate of serious injuries in high school soccer growing? Serious injuries being defined as causing players to be out for at least 3 weeks. Are there more serious injuries in high school soccer vs. club soccer? If there is a difference? Why do you think that is? Does anyone track # of injuries by team/opponent/coach and ref. It would be an interesting study to see if there is any correlation.

scwame #131355 04/29/10 05:09 PM
K
kick off
kick off
K
My daughter plays keeper and took a hit last year that caused a partial dislocation of her shoulder. She took another bad shot in a club tournament about 4 months after that, had 5 more dislocations, and ended up having to have surgery to repair a torn labrum. She has missed the entire Varsity season and is set to be released for Club in September. So this was a 9 MONTH recoup period after surgery!!..As a player, it has been hard on her not playing..as a parent, I am a little apprehensive about how much contact some refs are letting go.

2d1dad #131356 04/29/10 05:21 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Sometimes it's those 8-0 blowouts where a ref is needed the most! A losing team often does nothing but retaliate physically!

we've all seen this, frustrated slower players getting beat to the ball all game can only hit from behind & usually do.

keepermom #131357 04/29/10 05:23 PM
C
Coach
Coach
C
We have never had a season like this for injuries...right now I have one starter recovering from ACL surgery, two in boots from high ankle sprains, and one keeper with a possible concussion from last night, along with a scattering of other twisted knees, turned ankles, and assorted bumps and bangs. Most banged-up crew I've ever coached...trying to keep enough on the field to finish the season!

I've got good news and bad news...
The Chief #131358 04/29/10 05:25 PM
goal
goal
Quote:

Just to provide a frame of reference: at the Fort Mill vs Mauldin playoff (boys) game two years ago Ft Mill was up by two with about 5 min to go Mauldin (who had been aggressive all game long) was getting very physical and a player made a bad, you can call it dirty but I will simply call it what it was a bad foul that got him a yellow card. Problem was it was his second card, out he goes. FT Mill scores again right way now it is 3-0 game over right? Well the Mauldin players, mostly seniors decided to go out with a bang two more red cards in next two minutes. One included a Mauldin player sitting on a FT Mill player banging the Ft Mill players head into the ground. Ref called the game after third card with 3 min to go, down 3 with only 8 players and they were clearly intent on hurting/ getting FT Mill players red cards, game over.
Next time FT Mill played Mauldin, next season a FT Mill player got his collar bone broken, just a fluke or a dirty play? Those at the game called it dirty but since I was not there I will not judge it. From what I understand FT Mill will no longer schedule Mauldin for regular season games.
So, yes the players sometimes go after players to hurt them no doubt, and refs have/need to see it and control it or it will get out of hand.

Please Get your facts straight. Mauldin and Ft Mill would have played each other this year if we did not have a travel restriction on our team because of funding. There is no bad blood on this team towards Ft. Mill. Coach Chalker is a great man and I am sure he understands that the child who got hurt last year was in the normal course of play. Not a Single player on this squad played in that playoff game 2 years ago nor did this coach. I look forward to playing them in the future.

Last edited by AgentOrange; 04/29/10 05:34 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard