Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Coach Chass #131359 04/29/10 05:27 PM
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
Just a lot of weak players out there in this day and age. Throw in the propensity of knee injuries for teenage girls and it's always going to be a high number of catastrophies. Personally, I've seen more injuries occur during club ball when the players (in my opinion) aren't in the best shape possible for the rigors of soccer. I believe this is due to the lack of training (2 days a week and then a slew of games on the weekend).

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Hatem Ben Arfa #131360 04/29/10 05:36 PM
K
kick off
kick off
K
I can say with NO hesitation that my daughter's injury was not because she is weak or unconditioned. She runs on her own 2-3 miles in the "off-season" and does resistance and strength training. No matter how good of shape you are in, if you take a bad hit, YOU WILL GET HURT!!..

keepermom #131361 04/29/10 07:36 PM
B
throw in
throw in
B
All commentors on this subject have made valid points, Yes there are a lot of players out there who are setting out to warn off or hurt other players. Some skilled and some unskilled players do not step away or turn from the plays. They choose to run each other down, so to speak. I have heard many parents screaming to get this one and that, Fouls do occur on accident and on purpose. This beautiful game is much more than that. It is such a smart game.Sometimes I feel we have lost sight of that. Lets watch and see what type of teams will be at the finals this year. I believe it will be .........

AgentOrange #131362 04/29/10 08:01 PM
brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

Just to provide a frame of reference: at the Fort Mill vs Mauldin playoff (boys) game two years ago Ft Mill was up by two with about 5 min to go Mauldin (who had been aggressive all game long) was getting very physical and a player made a bad, you can call it dirty but I will simply call it what it was a bad foul that got him a yellow card. Problem was it was his second card, out he goes. FT Mill scores again right way now it is 3-0 game over right? Well the Mauldin players, mostly seniors decided to go out with a bang two more red cards in next two minutes. One included a Mauldin player sitting on a FT Mill player banging the Ft Mill players head into the ground. Ref called the game after third card with 3 min to go, down 3 with only 8 players and they were clearly intent on hurting/ getting FT Mill players red cards, game over.
Next time FT Mill played Mauldin, next season a FT Mill player got his collar bone broken, just a fluke or a dirty play? Those at the game called it dirty but since I was not there I will not judge it. From what I understand FT Mill will no longer schedule Mauldin for regular season games.
So, yes the players sometimes go after players to hurt them no doubt, and refs have/need to see it and control it or it will get out of hand.

Please Get your facts straight. Mauldin and Ft Mill would have played each other this year if we did not have a travel restriction on our team because of funding. There is no bad blood on this team towards Ft. Mill. Coach Chalker is a great man and I am sure he understands that the child who got hurt last year was in the normal course of play. Not a Single player on this squad played in that playoff game 2 years ago nor did this coach. I look forward to playing them in the future.

Catching up on your reading I see, posted that a month ago.
OK, I am not blaming the current team or players for what happened. The fact as I put them concerning future play were as I understood them to be based on conversation with the parents of the injured player and other players and parents on the team. The father of the player felt like his son was intentionally body slammed by the Mauldin player, he may be a little biased or have his memory a little out of whack because of the stress of that night spent in an ER with his son. Note I did not make a judgment on the play. I will let the coach make his own statement about weather he thought the play was "normal", and I think you should too.

I guess we will see about future play but since FM is moving to 3A will be less likely in future.

My bigger point was that some players do try to hurt other players. We saw it in the first game I mentioned that was what the thread was talking about at the time and the fact that ref have to take action early to prevent it. Hurst66 just posted, in another thread, some great advice for refs on how to limit it.

Last edited by The Chief; 04/29/10 08:36 PM.
AgentOrange #131363 04/29/10 10:21 PM
P
kick off
kick off
P
Crazy finish to last nights JV match between Riverside and Mauldin. Game was tied 1-1 inside last 2:00 minutes. Clock was stopped with official time being kept on the field. Mauldin has a break away and right midfielder plays a ball across the box from out at the line. As ball is coming 'through' the 6 yard box, ref blows whistle to end the game. Mauldin player then finishes with a beautiful sliding goal. Referee disallows the goal because it came a split second after whistle. I know the goal should be disallowed because the whistle had blown, but who in their right mind blows the whistle to end a game with the ball crossing through the six?

Then in the varsity match, the center ref was absolutely horrible. He is a well known instructor of officials and he brought his throne and crown for all to see. He made a mockery of the game. Just as the earlier posts suggested, he knit-picked every little rule but lost control of the physicality in the game.

Uncle Buck, you are absolutely wrong when you say the officials can not effect the outcome of the game.

Coach P #131364 04/30/10 04:11 AM
P
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
P
Well, since this thread is re-vivified:
The issue is not whether the coach can adjust to good or bad referees, but what happens to the girls when you have a bad referee, and what happens to the integrity of the game?
Tonight at Pickens we got our third goal on a PK, and let me be the first to say publicly it was a totally bogus call. Then again, they got their third goal off a direct kick from about 25 yards when the ref backed our wall up to at least 15 yards from the ball. I asked him about it at half, and he assured me it was only 10 yards and he should know because he refs high school football. OMG!!!
Does he know that the wall doesn't have to be 10 yards down the field but ten yards from the ball?
When one of my players was clearly fouled right in front of his ____ eyes, I simply asked (with somewhat elevated volume) why it wasn't a call, and he responded most eloquently with a yellow card. Did he explain why it wasn't a call? Of course not, because he has no earthly idea what a foul is.
Was he biased? No, he was horrible in both directions, but he created uncertainty and ruined a very interesting match.
IMHO.

PaulSchleifer #131365 04/30/10 04:12 AM
P
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
P
Oh, and BTW, job 1 for referees is the safety of the players. I don't know that poor refereeing leads to more injuries, but such a notion is certainly intuitive. I'd love to see a study done looking at injuries/referee.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard