Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#131453 03/20/10 10:23 PM
J
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
J
We had heard chatter last year that all varsity games would have 3 officials beginning in 2010. Three officials certainly make a difference, is their a current policy in place?

I know this has probably been discussed before, so my apologies for the redundancy.

Two v Three Officials
single choice
Two (6%, 2 Votes)
Three (94%, 30 Votes)
Total Votes: 32
Voting on this poll ends: 03/27/10 10:22 PM
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Doesn't matter how many you have, they all suck! It's amazing these clowns get paid!

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
dead horse...that's a "duh" kind of a question, don't you think? won't be possible until soccer budgets increase.

J
bench
bench
J
If the referees who did ref in the high school league weren't so poorly schooled in soccer, then there wouldn't be such a high demand for three refs, then the budget wouldn't need to increase.

S
Brace
Brace
S
If you want 3 refs you have to pay for 3 refs. Obviously you would love to have 3 for every match but some schools and programs just can't afford it. Agreed, beating the dead horse this year. I have actually had some pretty decent refs this year but refs can be inconsistent, get over it, it is what it is.

R
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
R
I am a ref and I'd have to say there are some pretty bad ones out there, and the reason being is when new refs are brought on board they are not properly trained. They pass a rules test they only need to score a 65 out of 100 on. IMO, if you can't score at least an 85 you don't need to be out on the pitch. Plus in my area of the state there are no assessments for high school offials. They simply put them out there to fill a slot on a schedule.

I try to work with new officials that I come in contact with. But some just don't seem interested in getting better, just getting a pay check. I think multiple assessments during the season would improve the quality of officiating.

With that said we do have many dedicated officials in this state. They work hard to improve and be fair and consistant with their calls. Please remember that officiating is a thankless job. Most of us do it for the love of the game. It is a lot harder than most people know. So the next time you parents/fans/coaches want to whine and complain about a hand ball not called or any foul you see as so obvious, try picking up the whistle. You might just get a different perspective on things plus an ear full im sure.

Last edited by Realist; 03/21/10 02:08 AM.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Doesn't matter how many you have, they all suck! It's amazing these clowns get paid!

Well said!

goal kick
goal kick
With that said we do have many dedicated officials in this state. They work hard to improve and be fair and consistant with their calls. Please remember that officiating is a thankless job. Most of us do it for the love of the game. It is a lot harder than most people know.

Agree with all of this! I am the first to say that I often see some wacky calls out there, but I would not call a game for all the tea in China. Still, a ref with two A.R.'s would obviously improve the high school game situation. Any one who has watched these games can tell you of blown calls that would have presumably gone otherwise if an a/r or a linesman had been there.

bench
bench
I am not sure why it continues to surprise me that the people who are so willing to add disparaging remarks about folks are the least likely to even attempt to walk in their shoes... As a referee I do enjoy the game the most when players play good soccer, which means few fouls and great play... Unfortunately that does not seem to happen as often as it should... Agreed, the HS Referee System is a bit weak, but that is how it works with HS, if you want to see improvement, change the system... Results will follow after that, as in USSF... You are welcome at anytime to swing by one of my games and chat, I do not hide behind a pseudonym, call me out at at game and we can chat, would love to have another dedicated referee in the ranks...

Let's Rock 'n Roll, Bob Wern
brace
brace
Honest question here. Who decides to have/pay for 3 Refs at a high school game. I thought someone said the AD's but do the home school decide the refs for thier games or are the costs splt between the two schools for each game?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard