Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#131486 03/21/10 06:13 AM
goal kick
OP Offline
goal kick
This fixture usually draws a lot of attention. Any thoughts on who will win and how the match will play out?

By failing to prepare, you prepare to fail.
brace
brace
Well, have to give night before scheduling advantage to NHS they have home game with a weak York while FMHS travels all the way to Gaffney to play a scrappy Gaffney side. Will be late night getting home for FM.

Closest FM has gotten in last few years was a 2-0 loss last year. NHS is not same offensive team this year but I am not sure FMHS is as good on D either. Early indications are that FMHS will score more goals this year, but they may have to!

I also think a closely called game would favor FMHS more than NHS. So hopefully the refs keepa tight lid on this one. These two team know each other better than most which should make for a great match up.

Brace
Brace
If FM comes out and matches NW's intensity and work rate for the full 80 minutes, it should be a hellva game.

If FM makes mental mistakes, could get ugly quick.

And for whatever reason, FM seems to play NW better away than home. Just hoping both teams play up to potential, refs don't impact game, and may best team win.

Brace
Brace
As someone stated on another post, FM needs to come out and play with heart and attitude.

kick off
kick off
I'll take the Trojans 3-1.

Too much Alex, Ricky, and Den Den for the FM defense to handle.

brace
brace
Looks like NHS got done early tonight! Will likely be well rested for FMHS!

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
Sounds like Gaffney showed up or FM was looking ahead. 4-1 final score. From what I hear 1-1 in first half. and FM scored the last 2 with 5 mins to go

brace
brace
Guessing Import will be posting some stats later. Funny though that they both won 4-1.

Brace
Brace
It shall be interesting and an eye opener, one way or the other.

brace
brace
No one on this team has ever beaten NHS. (right?)
Guess it is time for a gut check for these seniors. Team will have to come out and play as a team on a mission who believes in themselves. Not quite a Giants vs Patriots but close!

Brace
Brace
Right. Last time FM beat NW was 2006, @ NW, 1-0. Mark DiMaggio (FM goalie) taken out late in game and FM held off a barrage by NW. A tremendous HS soccer game. All out war on the pitch by both sides.

brace
brace
Just saw your stats 19 on frame from 43! 44% on frame sound like a lot of shots. But so does 66% off frame.

K
kick off
kick off
K
Northwestern won 4-1 with York playing a man down the last 50 minutes of the game. Granted Northwestern was not playing all of their starters in the second half resting them for the Fort Mill game.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
A referee had the guts to give a straight red card!!!!!!!!!! I'm shocked!!!!!

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Curious, what was the red for, anybody know?

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Post deleted by Jonathan

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Probably looked at the ref funny. God knows we don't give cards for actual bad form, just bad looks.

D
bench
bench
D
One of the players from northwestern pulled a york player down and as the york player got up to walk away the northwestern player grabbed his foot to try and pull him back down, he then grabbed his face and told the ref he got kicked in the face. I sat and watched it, kid didnt even get touched and he walked away without a scratch or dirt on his face. Funny thing was their star dennis swung at the york player but all he got was a yellow. poor officiating in the firt half, york got 1 call to their 7 or 8.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Not good, will be interesting to see how long of a suspension that player gets.

K
kick off
kick off
K
2 games unless the video shows enough to have it overturned.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Yikes, that's not good. At least there is a video to help the players's cause.

brace
brace
Are you saying this player showed a total lack of respect for the game of soccer and faked a foul! I AM SHOCKED

Was he a fwd by any chance? That position seems to be most conducive to players who can dive!

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
I haven't seen alot of diving, BUT a whole lot of embellishing (which should be a card). How many time do you see some get fouled (tripped let's say) and then roll around on the ground like they were stabbed??? Please refs, call the foul then card the person who got fouled for embellishment. It's aweful.

D
bench
bench
D
Yes, like a swimmer off a board. Who would have guessed? Not to spoil your fun but it was a mid-fielder, crazy world huh?

E
bench
bench
E
NW will win by 3+. FM doesn't have any legitimate goal scorers and NW will probably dominate possession. I think Ricky will score a few times since Dennis never does much against solid teams.

world cup
world cup
Trojans keep kicking
The (Rock Hill) Herald
March 25, 2010
by Barry Byers

http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/03/25/2043245/trojans-keep-kicking-bearcats.html

It's not everyday you see four PK's awarded in one match, but as FM coach Lloyd Chalker said, most of them were warranted.

It amazes me how aggressive, and sometimes reckless, defenders can be when the ball is inside their own penalty area. This center official had the courage to make the calls.

I thought Fort Mill gave Northwestern a very good fight last night. Looking forward to the return match in Rock Hill. Dennis, Alex and Ricky are a pleasure to watch.....and Fort Mill has some very talented underclassmen as well.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
brace
brace
Sounds like NHS is making a living on PK's this year!
FMHS going to have to tighten up in the box as they have given up about 6 or 7 goals to PK's or own goals now.

H
kick off
kick off
H
It really is a shame to see players that are very good play the game very wrong. In a different game I watched a NW player pull a player down on him and then NW player jumped up and pushed him 2-handed in the back. No card. Refs. seem to be very, very lenient with NW players' fouls. Why didn't the NW kid get a red card in the York game? Are they just too good to do wrong? Unfortunately, one wrong ref. call in a game CAN change an eventual outcome.
At Fort Mill last night, the first PK was a collision of 2 players going directly for the ball. Goalie coming out, NW player coming in. The NW player even got a foot on the ball. No foul should have been called. 1-1 at the half is much different than going in behind 1-0. NW seems to have falling in the box down to an artform. The last fall in the box was questionable. The NW player fell over his feet going for the ball and the side ref. who called it had his view blocked by the NW player. It appeared to be a fine acting job, but the PK counted no less. A FM player with the ball was tripped in the box late in the game.....no call. What? Calls such as these should NOT be missed with 3 refs. Is it possible for the refs. not to be biased? Maybe one day it won't seem this way and NW can stop rolling around in the dirt. But for now, when they do, they get the calls, so it continues. Too bad on all counts.

world cup
world cup
Hardtruth,

I'm a Fort Mill supporter.....and a referee. Let's review what you are saying about that first PK (and I was at the match too).

NW player breaks into the box. FM keeper coming out at him. NW player gets a foot on the ball, FM keeper does not get a foot on the ball. Both players collide and go down.

Explain to me how this is not a PK?

Both teams played well and deserve credit. The rematch at Northwestern should be another good game, with a great atmosphere. Pull for your team and try to enjoy the game.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Brace
Brace
If you are talking about the Darlington game, you are totally correct. York don't know. Felt PK's at FM/NW game were OK calls. Could agree with you on the no-call late in the game when FM player went down. Refs due the best they can. Be a former ref not as easy on the field as in the stands. Would have liked to have seen the AR's taking a little more active role, especially away from the ball.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Hurst,

You pretty much explained it right. They collided. 50/50 momentum on both sides. I suppose what REALLY matters is which one fell. Couldn't the offensive player be called for a foul for running into the GK? So, who ran into who? A 50/50 collision from both boys, should NOT simply be called against the one that is larger in size or the one that hits the ground. The NW player even got off a shot so the GK could not touch the ball. So, I suppose it's a 50/50 call and we all know the winner.

Still have doubts about the 3rd PK, however, based upon the history of the one that fell.....I have doubts about the call and the position of the one that called it.

I'm not saying that the refs. caused the game. The could have been better. We never want to blame refs. even if they are bad. I mean there were things that the whole FM team could have done better to avoid the situations that led to goals. Kudos to NW for putting themselves in the box.

NW sure seems to get the benefit of the doubt by refs. in most cases and definitely easy treatment when it comes to cards. Hopefully, in the future, guys will dance around the NW guys to avoid fouls while the NW guys continue to push/punch there way into the box. Hopefully, things....lots of things will be different at the next meeting.

brace
brace
Fort Mill D had a solid outings against NHS. They kept the shots out of the net and kept FMHS in the game even with all the PKs that were given/earned/handout/awarded for best role (roll) by a supporting actor etc... (pick them as you see them?). To lose 4-2 in a game where the other guy got 3 pk's means you did a good job holding them off.
Someone getting on the board early is something NHS does not see a lot of but FM missed the first one by inches and came right back and got up on NHS. Heck even IRMO did not score first on them, in fact I think NHS was behind for first time all year. Got to give some credit to FM Fwds for putting them there, of course the D and mids should too since as we know it takes 11 to score!

Looks like the D will be just as solid this year with the new underclassmen stepping in for last years lost players and helping a solid core of returners! The O has already shown they will be scoring more, darn they got more last night in outing 1 than they did in 3 last year!

kick off
kick off
the offensive player for nw did not "run into the fm keeper"....the fm keeper slid and completely took the attacker out. he deserved atleast a yellow for a late and wreckless challenge in which he did not even TRY to play the ball

but maybe you saw something completely different.

kick off
kick off
also,

well said Chief and Hurst.

Well done to NW for putting themself in a good position, but also to FM for defending well for most of the match.

brace
brace
Quote:

Hurst,

NW sure seems to get the benefit of the doubt by refs. in most cases and definitely easy treatment when it comes to cards. Hopefully, in the future, guys will dance around the NW guys to avoid fouls while the NW guys continue to push/punch there way into the box. Hopefully, things....lots of things will be different at the next meeting.

This is what I meant when I said tighten up in the box earlier! FM will have to duck an dodge NHS while getting the ball out of the box! As good as they did last night they are going to have to do that and avoid letting NHS put them where "fouls" can be made to appear. Oh and one you left off was "push/punch" and how about tug?

Seems like calls do go more to some teams than to others too, kind of like how MJ could take 3 steps before jumping to dunk. Not saying refs are biased just that some teams/players get the calls/have the luck or any number sayings. Same player who got a PK against IRMO was instrumental getting one against FM too????? He must be very hard to stop!

brace
brace
NHS did put themselves in position to get the shots but FM served notice that they are right there with them this year! A few lucky breaks (and you can make your own luck) and FM could have it turn out the other way around next game! Looking fwd to the rematch and with some luck for both teams and round three at the end of the year!

kick off
kick off
well it could turn out a different way, but i dont think it will. NW was on the offensive for the majority of the game, FM playing for the counterattack.

NW missed their chances as well (header off the cross bar, whiff on a cross while unmarked, etc...). So just as FM could have scored a couple early, NW could have blew this game open if they finished chances.

ill be expecting another good match in april!

brace
brace
I guess that's the luck part! Each team will have another shot at making their luck next time and I am kind of hoping NHS breaks a mirror in the locker room on the way out to the pitch! Not wanting anyone hurt just hopping for a little extra help next time! What, you think David wasn't looking for a little some thing extra when he saw Goliath standing out there?

Gotta wonder though is there a better inter region boys rivalry in SC than FMHS vs NHS?

Last edited by The Chief; 03/26/10 04:19 AM.
H
kick off
kick off
H
I suppose that I saw the collision different. Although most were watching the ball trickle and miss the goal, I did see two players running at one another to get the same ball. One of them was bound to reach the ball first. I couldn't see where momentum of both guys could not have taken them into one another. Did he slide to go for the ball that came close enough to the ground for NW guy to put a foot on it? Would love to see the slow motion video.

The refs. WERE tough enough to "yellow card" one FM kid for walking around the field mumbling. The ref. didn't even hear what he said, because he asked him. I was sitting close enough to the field to hear the ref. ask.

I hope the FM guys gain some confidence from the loss and that it inpires both the O and D. I really hope that SC refs. "begin" to fairly give cards and watch for over-acting with NW forwards that seem to oftenly lose their footing. I like and care about a number of the NW players and are proud of what they have accomplished over the years from the region. Never want any of these guys hurt. Have seen way too much of that.

kick off
kick off
Well I am not going to continue to argue with you, hardtruth, when your own fan base is telling you that it was a clear pk.

Good luck on your season, see you at NW for the rematch.

H
kick off
kick off
H
Not really arguing....I just saw it differently. Hopefully, next time the GK will shuffle to the side to avoid any appearance. The ref. called it, no argument about that. Got to live with it and move on. Thanks for the wishes for luck on the season. I feel the same about NW. As the season rolls hopefully both teams will get better and better. I hope the best for all of 'em. Is there diff. treatment shown out there to NW by officials? Some things would lead you to think so. I would like to think not.

brace
brace
Funny how people seeing the same thing see it so different sometimes. Last year there was a questionable call/goal in the Wacamole/BE playoff game and someone posted a news clip showing the play. Even with video and reviewing it in slo-mo people were split on the call/play.
The refs do not get that luxury. Sometimes I think people lose perspective of how hard it is for the refs when play is going full speed. What seems like no brainer to fans is a split decision to them. Of course the also have the fans to "help" them by yelling what they see, to bad they can hear both sides of the pitch yelling something different!

brace
brace
Would be nice to have some video of the games to compare the fouls/acting questions if people could see how some players dive over and over ref might get tougher on them for it. I also think that if a player knew the camera was on them they might not dive every chane they got, but then again habits die hard. I do not even blame them for diving it is a "skill" they learned/ or where taught somewhere along the line and coaches are not stopping it if it works so they are just kids/players being kids/players
Funny thing to me is that because these kids all play on the same club teams the parents know who the divers are. We sit at the games during club season and watch them get "fouled" for "our" team then it comes back to huant us during school season.
FM has another game coming up where the Fwd is one of the better divers in the state. Boys all know who he is and what he will do if their foot gets near his. Hopefully the refs will bring a little golden statue to give him after the game!

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
first pk, nw player chips keeper who then knocks nw player to the ground, clear pk nd should have been a yellow at least. second pk, nw player in 6 yard box and is taken out from behind by yellow jacket. again clear pk. 3rd keeper comes pout when he doesnt have to and from behind clobbers nw player. all three were deserved and all three were clear fouls. i was sitting on the home side.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Really don't wanna let this game die huh?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard