Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
kick off
kick off
K
What were the results from the rest of the tournament?

D
bench
bench
D
Had an opportunity to watch some of the games. A couple of observations:

1. While there was lots of green grass on the stadium field, players were slipping constantly throughout the day. Had an impact on the games

2. Southside Christian is much better than anticipated. They play a tough defensive game and have won some big games this year. Very good 1A team

3. JL Mann is hard to figure out. They were preseason #1 in 3A and have a number of Premier club players on the team but most of them are defensive players. They play a lot of freshmen up front and are having trouble scoring against good teams. Their defense may score more than their offense. Lost on PKs against Mauldin after leading most of the game. Had several scoring opportunties but couldnt finish.

4. Riverside is much better than I expected. They play hard and with passion. Lost 1-0 to SS Christian but outhustled Mann in the consolation. They play very tough in the midfield. They play a 9th grader as goalie and that may limit how far they can go in the playoffs.

5. I have watched Mauldin play a number of times this year. They fight and hustle staying in games when teams have more talent but somehow find a way to be competitive at the end. I don't expect them to go far in 4A but they could surprise.

Lastly, I continue to be astonished by how poor the referees are in the high school games I have seen. Because there are only two, they are always out of position, they will make calls from the opposite end of the field when their counterpart was in much better position to make the call. Blatant offsides were not called, calls that questions their knowlege of the rules. What can be done? These kids deserve better

L
Goal
Goal
L
"Lastly, I continue to be astonished by how poor the referees are in the high school games I have seen."

With the 2/men crew, some stand inside the touchline and block the run of play of the outside mid and act as an extra defender.

G
goal kick
goal kick
G
Poor is a understatement for the officating of high school soccer in this state...some are without a clue and cock an attitude if they are questioned on their ignorance of the game. If SC high schools want to make an impact on the rest of the US, it is time to make a change with the officiating.
I have called and emailed SCHSL over the last 4-5 years about this...without any results. It is very hard to watch HS games when this problem exists.In the past a shoulder bump would earn a yellow, while a cleats up tackle on the leg would not even draw a foul....totally ridiculous!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard