Print Thread
#13297 06/03/03 01:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
BOY DID RONNIE MATTHEWS OF THE HIGH SCHOOL SCREW UP BUY TAKING THE CROWN AWAY FROM THOSE GIRLS.THANKS FOR THE APPEAL PROCESS.AT LEAST THAT GROUP HAD COMMON SENSE TO OVER TURN HIS RULING.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHO TURNED WEST ASHLEY IN.

ALSO HOW COULD THE LOSING COACH ACCEPT THE TROPHY WHEN HER TEAM GOT BEAT ON THE FIELD.

#13298 06/03/03 11:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kudos to board for making a just decision.

Let's not forget to give some credit to the West Ashley coach for the extremely poor thinking that allowed this ruling to be incurred in the first place.

#13299 06/03/03 01:00 PM
World Cup
World Cup
Well stated Irmoaintdead!

I don't think anyone that saw the match wished for WA to have the title stripped from them after the tremendous victory over a very good Mauldin team in the final.

However, Coach McNeely and others should have never allowed this to surface. Ultimately, we as coaches have to accept the responsibility for our errors and this is certainly an instance that rests solely with the head coach. Of course the athletic director should have caught this as well.

Believe me, there's not a coach that coaches for a long time that doesn't have some misfortunate oversight or poor judgement (Lord knows I've had mine - and will probably have more in the future), but it is the coach's responsibility to be informed of the rules and abreast of what is happening in prep soccer.

The truth of the matter is that if soccer people don't govern ourselves, then we will be left solely to regulation by "outside soccer folks" i.e. -- football and other "traditional sports" administrators!

JBO - as for who turned in West Ashley, basically they turned themselves in by asking for 8th graders to be included in the State Championship program rosters.

#13300 06/08/03 07:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THE DICTATOR OF THE HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE HAS LOSS ANOTHER RULING.SPIRIT AND INTENT OF THE RULE WAS NOT VIOLATED.LINE UPS OR ROSTERS DON'T MATTER UNLESS THE KID PLAYS IN THE CONTEST.DO YOU THINK OFFICIALS KNOW WHO IS IN WHAT GRADE? NO WAY.YOU PENALIZE WHEN THE PLAYER ENTERS THE GAME.YOU CAN LIST ANY TEAM MEMBERS THAT YOU WANT.WHEN THE INELIGIBLE TEAM MEMBER ENTERS THE GAME THAT IS WHEN THEY BECOME A PLAYER.NOW YOU CALL THE FOUL NOT DAYS AFTER THE CONTEST.THE GAME OFFICIALS DID NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE ROSTER SO WHY SHOULD THE HS LEAGUE?

IT WAS A SMART MOVE BY THE WEST ASHLEY COACH TO ADVANCE THESE 8TH GRADE GIRLS UP TO THE NEXT LEVEL.WHAT A THRILL IT MUST HAVE BEEN FOR THEM.WE ALL NEED TO MOTIVATE KIDS AND THIS WAS HIS WAY.WELL DONE.

#13301 06/08/03 10:16 PM
World Cup
World Cup
JBO - Again, the only problem is that not ALL coaches had the opportunity to do this without fear of penalty because the rule states that dressing and sitting in the bench area constitutes participation in the match. This is not my rule, but one that I have had to adhere!

Now, this "veiled threat" is no more, and of course we should be able to dress 8th graders in future matches because the SCHSL has no grounds to penalize us for doing so. We would all benefit from dressing our 8th graders (7th graders for that matter) since it will help them as far as experience goes.

My congratulations to the Lady Wildcats, but I feel the League has opened up a can of worms, that out of principle, should and will be challenged!

#13302 06/09/03 11:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spirit of the rule WAS violated; the close vote is proof of this. Why wasn't the entire JV squad dressed up? Why not include the entire student body on the bench? This was a bad idea, and I hope the rule is restated to prevent it from happening again. Only players should be dressed in any uniform; anyone else should be in civvies.

#13303 06/09/03 01:43 PM
Brace
Brace
I agree that the spirit of the rule is what was broken!

I also heard from a very reliable source, that the whole incident took place was because of a "soccer mom" that she insisted her 8th grade daughter dress with the varsity team for big game experience that would help her in the future.

The coach evidently did not have the backbone to tell her no, that it was against the rules as written.

Link Copied to Clipboard