Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#133106 04/13/10 07:16 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
If you were to poll each U-15 and U-16 premier SC team both boys and girls, what percentage of the players would like to continue playing in college.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think that would be a fairly high number..Atleast 75 percent..Look at their history..probably played club ball forever and now find themselves on the strongest teams in the state..The other side..What do they want to be when they are adults? What school is going to provide the best education at the right price for what they want to do and will this school offer a soccer program or a soccer program that is interested in them..A lot of things have to fall in place..

L
Goal
Goal
L
i agree the % is high at u15/u16 ages but once they hit u17/u18 there is a decline in interest.

C
goal
goal
C
Quote:

i agree the % is high at u15/u16 ages but once they hit u17/u18 there is a decline in interest.

I saw that exactly on my daughter's team. A lot of the burn out with Club and HS soccer at the same time and just want to concentrate on the college life, especially once they realize that not a lot of money is flowing their way anyways. They can work part time while in college and make 3 times any money that they may get from a scholarship...

Here I go again!
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How about the kids that go to colleges because the programs were interested in them and found themselves back home within the year..They were not happy or things did not work out..My advice..Pick your schools first based on what you want to do and let soccer follow behind..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Amen to that...had a HS/club player find herself in just that very situation last year.

I've got good news and bad news...
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
Any person who bases their decision on soccer alone may get a huge wake up call when they get to the school and team...i always tell people i recruited or coached in high school to make sure you love the school and then see if the team fits your needs. Anything can happen when you get to college-injuries, limited playing time, hate the coach, hate the players, etc. and if you hate the school that makes for a miserable semester...don't choose on soccer alone b.c you will be going somewhere else after the season i bet...

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

I agree. From what I have witnessed, this is probably the last age in which kids (and sometimes their parents) believe they are the next coming of Enzo. By the time they hit u17/u18 most get a taste of reality when the college offers are not to where they hoped to play and the scholarship money is not what they thought it would be.

In retrospect, most parents realize they probably spent enough money on club ball through the years to pay for a year or so of college - but most would not change a thing because the soccer journey they shared with their kids and friends made memories that will last a lifetime.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

How about the kids that go to colleges because the programs were interested in them and found themselves back home within the year..They were not happy or things did not work out..My advice..Pick your schools first based on what you want to do and let soccer follow behind..

My advice...pick your soccer program first based on what you want from the program and let the school fall into place.

Facts:
25% of college freshmen drop out of college
80% of college students change there major once
50% of college students change there major 2-3 times
According to the US department of Education as many as 60% of college students transfer schools.
According to the NCAA less than 10% of student athlete's transfer schools
According to the NCAA for the year 2009, 79% of ALL student athlete's graduated.
According to the US Department of Education 52% of college students graduate after 4-6 years of school.

My point is very simple, you have a much better chance of staying with a soccer program and graduating than you do of picking a program based on the academics and your major. My point is backed up by the US Department of Education and the NCAA. So people you might want to start changing the way you pick a soccer program, then again it's up to the soccer school to pick you.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
So my daughter should pick the soccer program that best suits her needs or game and put education second because she is probably going to drop out anyway or change her major two or three times..but if she chooses ball over education she atleast has a 80% chance of graduating in 4-6 years...
We'll take our chances on education..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard