Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
who is choosing ball over education?? Do you really think it matters if you have a degree from Clemson or Carolina.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

who is choosing ball over education?? Do you really think it matters if you have a degree from Clemson or Carolina.

It does if you are starting a garden or working in the State House.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

It does if you are starting a garden or working in the State House.

Problem is US Department of Education says they will change there mind about gardening and working in the State House.

goal
goal
Sorry, sweet, but if I am understanding you correctly, I have to disagree with your logic (yeah, I know, shocking!). While the stats may prove that athletes, in general, have a better chance of graduating than non-athletes, the data you gave does not show why those athletes chose the school they did – whether it was because of 1) the athletic program itself, or 2) because of the academic program that the particular school had.

All the data shows, that I can tell, is that if you play a varsity sport in college, you have a much better chance of graduating than if you do not.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sorry, sweet, but if I am understanding you correctly, I have to disagree with your logic (yeah, I know, shocking!). While the stats may prove that athletes, in general, have a better chance of graduating than non-athletes, the data you gave does not show why those athletes chose the school they did – whether it was because of 1) the athletic program itself, or 2) because of the academic program that the particular school had.

All the data shows, that I can tell, is that if you play a varsity sport in college, you have a much better chance of graduating than if you do not.

My point is simple, everyone on the forum talks about making sure you find a school that u like and has your major...follow me now, problem is the stats say your child will change majors at least once if not 2-3 times, so my logic is this, find a soccer program first cause only 10% of athlete's transfer schools but those same student athlete's change there majors several times.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What if they change their minds and that school they chose because of soccer is still not a good fit?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

What if they change their minds and that school they chose because of soccer is still not a good fit?

Hopefully they will stay long enough to change there mind again, if not they become one of the 10% who transfer.

L
Goal
Goal
L
the ncaa should take out football, baseball and bb and re-do the math to see if the numbers would show the same %. plus, stats don't include students that quit being athletes.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
The numbers would be around 95% or higher, if you go to the NCAA site and do the math it might be closer to 97%. So when I hear that a player chooses not to play soccer to focus on there studies I scratch my head due to the fact that a soccer player playing college soccer has an almost 100% chance of graduating compared to a normal student. Most athletic departments have so many checks and balances you would have to work very hard to fail out of school, it's almost impossible.
Like anything there are always exceptions to the rule.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

First off - what percentage of soccer playing SC kids (even those that play US Academy or Premier level ball) will go to a Carolina, Clemson, Furman or CofC on a soccer scholarship? Percentage wise it has to be miniscule. So - that leaves most kids (yes even US Academy and Premier) playing at schools such as Newberry,Limestone,PC,Lander,etc.. Not to say there is anything wrong with one of these schools - BUT - some of these smaller schools have limited programs (majors) to choose from. So if I follow your line of thinking if my kid is recruited by say Newberry then he should go ahead and go there for soccer and "find" a major - pretty much expect to change it - even if they do not offer anything he is currently interested in. Do you realize what kind of effect this could have on the rest of his life - just to play four years of college soccer?

When I was in college some 30 years ago my parents advice was - if you don't really know what you want to do for a living go to college get a business degree and at least you will have a versatile degree that will allow you to possibly go into a lot of different fields. At the time that was great advice - 30 years later it is a different world. The competition for jobs is much tougher and many require specialized education and experience. Many kids in high school are now asked to pick a "major" field of study in order to prepare them for college or the working world. Yes, a lot of people still change majors - but I do not advocate going into college with that mindset.

Simply put, this line of thinking goes totally against the several different recruiting seminars I have attended with my kid.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard