Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#133106 04/13/10 07:16 PM
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
If you were to poll each U-15 and U-16 premier SC team both boys and girls, what percentage of the players would like to continue playing in college.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I think that would be a fairly high number..Atleast 75 percent..Look at their history..probably played club ball forever and now find themselves on the strongest teams in the state..The other side..What do they want to be when they are adults? What school is going to provide the best education at the right price for what they want to do and will this school offer a soccer program or a soccer program that is interested in them..A lot of things have to fall in place..

L
Goal
Goal
L
i agree the % is high at u15/u16 ages but once they hit u17/u18 there is a decline in interest.

C
goal
goal
C
Quote:

i agree the % is high at u15/u16 ages but once they hit u17/u18 there is a decline in interest.

I saw that exactly on my daughter's team. A lot of the burn out with Club and HS soccer at the same time and just want to concentrate on the college life, especially once they realize that not a lot of money is flowing their way anyways. They can work part time while in college and make 3 times any money that they may get from a scholarship...

Here I go again!
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
How about the kids that go to colleges because the programs were interested in them and found themselves back home within the year..They were not happy or things did not work out..My advice..Pick your schools first based on what you want to do and let soccer follow behind..

C
Coach
Coach
C
Amen to that...had a HS/club player find herself in just that very situation last year.

I've got good news and bad news...
K
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
K
Any person who bases their decision on soccer alone may get a huge wake up call when they get to the school and team...i always tell people i recruited or coached in high school to make sure you love the school and then see if the team fits your needs. Anything can happen when you get to college-injuries, limited playing time, hate the coach, hate the players, etc. and if you hate the school that makes for a miserable semester...don't choose on soccer alone b.c you will be going somewhere else after the season i bet...

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

I agree. From what I have witnessed, this is probably the last age in which kids (and sometimes their parents) believe they are the next coming of Enzo. By the time they hit u17/u18 most get a taste of reality when the college offers are not to where they hoped to play and the scholarship money is not what they thought it would be.

In retrospect, most parents realize they probably spent enough money on club ball through the years to pay for a year or so of college - but most would not change a thing because the soccer journey they shared with their kids and friends made memories that will last a lifetime.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

How about the kids that go to colleges because the programs were interested in them and found themselves back home within the year..They were not happy or things did not work out..My advice..Pick your schools first based on what you want to do and let soccer follow behind..

My advice...pick your soccer program first based on what you want from the program and let the school fall into place.

Facts:
25% of college freshmen drop out of college
80% of college students change there major once
50% of college students change there major 2-3 times
According to the US department of Education as many as 60% of college students transfer schools.
According to the NCAA less than 10% of student athlete's transfer schools
According to the NCAA for the year 2009, 79% of ALL student athlete's graduated.
According to the US Department of Education 52% of college students graduate after 4-6 years of school.

My point is very simple, you have a much better chance of staying with a soccer program and graduating than you do of picking a program based on the academics and your major. My point is backed up by the US Department of Education and the NCAA. So people you might want to start changing the way you pick a soccer program, then again it's up to the soccer school to pick you.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
So my daughter should pick the soccer program that best suits her needs or game and put education second because she is probably going to drop out anyway or change her major two or three times..but if she chooses ball over education she atleast has a 80% chance of graduating in 4-6 years...
We'll take our chances on education..

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
who is choosing ball over education?? Do you really think it matters if you have a degree from Clemson or Carolina.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

who is choosing ball over education?? Do you really think it matters if you have a degree from Clemson or Carolina.

It does if you are starting a garden or working in the State House.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

It does if you are starting a garden or working in the State House.

Problem is US Department of Education says they will change there mind about gardening and working in the State House.

goal
goal
Sorry, sweet, but if I am understanding you correctly, I have to disagree with your logic (yeah, I know, shocking!). While the stats may prove that athletes, in general, have a better chance of graduating than non-athletes, the data you gave does not show why those athletes chose the school they did – whether it was because of 1) the athletic program itself, or 2) because of the academic program that the particular school had.

All the data shows, that I can tell, is that if you play a varsity sport in college, you have a much better chance of graduating than if you do not.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Sorry, sweet, but if I am understanding you correctly, I have to disagree with your logic (yeah, I know, shocking!). While the stats may prove that athletes, in general, have a better chance of graduating than non-athletes, the data you gave does not show why those athletes chose the school they did – whether it was because of 1) the athletic program itself, or 2) because of the academic program that the particular school had.

All the data shows, that I can tell, is that if you play a varsity sport in college, you have a much better chance of graduating than if you do not.

My point is simple, everyone on the forum talks about making sure you find a school that u like and has your major...follow me now, problem is the stats say your child will change majors at least once if not 2-3 times, so my logic is this, find a soccer program first cause only 10% of athlete's transfer schools but those same student athlete's change there majors several times.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What if they change their minds and that school they chose because of soccer is still not a good fit?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

What if they change their minds and that school they chose because of soccer is still not a good fit?

Hopefully they will stay long enough to change there mind again, if not they become one of the 10% who transfer.

L
Goal
Goal
L
the ncaa should take out football, baseball and bb and re-do the math to see if the numbers would show the same %. plus, stats don't include students that quit being athletes.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
The numbers would be around 95% or higher, if you go to the NCAA site and do the math it might be closer to 97%. So when I hear that a player chooses not to play soccer to focus on there studies I scratch my head due to the fact that a soccer player playing college soccer has an almost 100% chance of graduating compared to a normal student. Most athletic departments have so many checks and balances you would have to work very hard to fail out of school, it's almost impossible.
Like anything there are always exceptions to the rule.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

First off - what percentage of soccer playing SC kids (even those that play US Academy or Premier level ball) will go to a Carolina, Clemson, Furman or CofC on a soccer scholarship? Percentage wise it has to be miniscule. So - that leaves most kids (yes even US Academy and Premier) playing at schools such as Newberry,Limestone,PC,Lander,etc.. Not to say there is anything wrong with one of these schools - BUT - some of these smaller schools have limited programs (majors) to choose from. So if I follow your line of thinking if my kid is recruited by say Newberry then he should go ahead and go there for soccer and "find" a major - pretty much expect to change it - even if they do not offer anything he is currently interested in. Do you realize what kind of effect this could have on the rest of his life - just to play four years of college soccer?

When I was in college some 30 years ago my parents advice was - if you don't really know what you want to do for a living go to college get a business degree and at least you will have a versatile degree that will allow you to possibly go into a lot of different fields. At the time that was great advice - 30 years later it is a different world. The competition for jobs is much tougher and many require specialized education and experience. Many kids in high school are now asked to pick a "major" field of study in order to prepare them for college or the working world. Yes, a lot of people still change majors - but I do not advocate going into college with that mindset.

Simply put, this line of thinking goes totally against the several different recruiting seminars I have attended with my kid.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Bebe Le Strange:

Not knowing much about Newberry, Limestone, etc.. My point is simple, most students change there majors several times. Asking a 16 or 17 year old to choose a college based on a specific major just doesn't make sense at that age.

L
Goal
Goal
L
sweets, you've got it wrong - they're not playing to focus more on studies, they're not playing to enjoying the full experience of being a college student and all that comes with it. they give up a big part of the college life experience when they decide to be a college athlete.

goal
goal
Sweet, it sounds to me like you are betting on failure (the failure being a student picking a major, then changing his/her mind one or more times). From the get-go, you are assuming that your child will make a mistake when choosing their major.

How about this example – a child decides they want to play soccer in college, and they want to be an engineer. They decide to attend Clemson, based on the reputation of their engineering program, and they were also offered some amount of scholarship monies to play soccer there. They declare their major to be Mechanical Engineering (for those of you who know how it works at CU, I do realize this may be a little off). A year later, they change that to Chemical Engineering. A year later, they change it yet again, this time to Electrical Engineering. Heck, just for S's and G's, let's say they one more time change their major, this time to Environmental Engineering. So, they chose the school based mainly on the academic program they wanted to pursue, they changed their major a total of four times, but they have still graduated with an excellent degree, and from the college of their choice.

Granted, that example may be a little unusual, but I think you are going to the other extreme.

goal
goal
Sweet, you're also assuming that the academic programs for athletes at schools other than those such as at USC (with their new, athletes-only, multi-gazzillion dollar facility) and Clemson, have all the same programs that those two do. I seriously doubt that to be the case.

I
goal
goal
I
I hate to say it, but I agree with Sweet Feet. Most kids IMO do not really know what or who they are going to be. Being an athlete is just a continuation of what they already were, and also maybe a means to an end. Some kids can afford any school, some can scrap by, some have to do whatever it takes (playing their way through -instead of an hourly job). I played football because I did not know how to do anything else with my life, it was a 24/7 obsession for me as a kid. When I had to quite, I felt like I lost a family member. After a while I figured out how easy school was, and had a pretty good time of it.

The most important thing is they are in college, heck the average life expectancy is 100 for the girls. They have time to figure it out. It being the big IT.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
...and my point is simple - larger schools like Carolina or Clemson offer many majors within which one can pick from if they do want to change. Smaller schools simply do not have the same number of majors. Therefore, if you do end up going to a smaller school on a soccer scholarship (which is reality for the majority of even serious soccer playing SC kids) you need to keep in mind what majors they offer and make sure you are not going to find yourself between a rock and a hard place if you decide to change majors. Don't find yourself picking a major just to pick something or the consequences may follow you long after your soccer playing days.

Like the NCAA commercial says - there are 360,00 (or something like that) college athletes and almost all will turn professional in something other than sports.

College is about education.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

sweets, you've got it wrong - they're not playing to focus more on studies, they're not playing to enjoying the full experience of being a college student and all that comes with it. they give up a big part of the college life experience when they decide to be a college athlete.

Not picking on youletmepututtooyouthisway but your post was something i could quote from.
I will be bragging a little.
My question first would be, why cant it all be done. Pick a school because you like the school, its athletics and be able to do all that comes with the college experience.
As most of you know mine finished high school Jan 8th and entered LSU a seamester early on jan 12th.One of the main reasons she chose LSU was for its soccer program. They finished 2009 ranked number 14 in the country. Often we talk on here about a kid picking a school for the name on the jersey and sitting the bench when they could of went somewhere else and started. In the 2 spring games they have played she started both and played 70 mins in the first one and 80 in the second.It is tuff with getting up every morning at 6:00 for conditioning and practice but it is paying off.
She also picked LSU because she liked the campus and it had a good mass communication program. she is doing well with carring over 14 credit hours. it is also hard work but it is shown by her being named one of the 5 student athletes of the month for april.
with all this going on she hangs out with friends,goes to baseball,basketball,track and any other number of events. she has also worked with habitat for humanity while has been there and goes to a local school one day a week to help out with the kids.
it can be done

world cup
world cup
Hard Headed,

Your daughter is "the exception". We don't have too many girls from our state that play a couple of years on the R3 ODP Team and get an invite to national camp. Those girls get their pick of the litter.

They can......."have it all".

For the most part, the rest of our daughters have to decide between playing at a small(er) school, or, attending the big-time D1 school, enjoying all of the amenities and NOT playing college soccer.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
L
Goal
Goal
L
HH - thanks for the update on your player's experience and glad she is doing well.

SF - what about your player and how is she doing at alabama?

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Hard Headed,

Your daughter is "the exception". We don't have too many girls from our state that play a couple of years on the R3 ODP Team and get an invite to national camp. Those girls get their pick of the litter.

They can......."have it all".

For the most part, the rest of our daughters have to decide between playing at a small(er) school, or, attending the big-time D1 school, enjoying all of the amenities and NOT playing college soccer.

what i meant by my long winded post is that i think kids that get to continue playing in college can go get an education,play a sport and enjoy their time there. it doesnt alwyas work out but it doesnt always have to be one or the other.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

HH - thanks for the update on your player's experience and glad she is doing well.

SF - what about your player and how is she doing at alabama?

My daughter like Alex graduated in December and entered Bama in Jan to participate in the spring season. Her overall experience has been very positive on the field and in the classroom. As far as playing time Bama has had 7 games and my daughter started in 4 and played 20-45 minutes in the other matches. As far as the academics she is holding down a high B average. As far as a social life she and her teammates attend gymnastic events, softball matches, tennis matches and basketball games during season and yes she even has time to hang out with her sister and her sorority friends at places we will not discuss. So yes like hard headed said it is possible to have a normal college experience while playing a sport at a major university.

BTW, Patrick Baker the Georgia soccer coach resigned April 1st to spend more time with his family. Baker was the coach at FSU before arriving at Georgia.

L
Goal
Goal
L
sf - glad its going well for her. having a sister at the same school has to be a positive.

has anyone seen the lady gamecocks play recently? what are they looking like since losing a number of starters? who has taken over for mattern? it will be interesting to see if they can stay at the top of the sec.

also, who has any info on the lady tigers and HS?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

sf - glad its going well for her. having a sister at the same school has to be a positive.

has anyone seen the lady gamecocks play recently? what are they looking like since losing a number of starters? who has taken over for mattern? it will be interesting to see if they can stay at the top of the sec.

also, who has any info on the lady tigers and HS?

The Lady Gamecocks will be fine in the fall, they have lots of talented players on the roster. The big question will be who is going to take over for Mattern, and Miller. Mattern was dominate in the air and on set pieces. IMHO Mattern was a true team leader like very few programs will ever see, she will be almost impossible to replace. Mattern was one of the top scorers on the team playing on the back line, not sure where they will be able to pick up those goals next season.

C
goal
goal
C
It would be interesting to see a more detailed break down of those stats. I know from experience that at least 50% of the girls recruited on a soccer team for any college will not be there as a senior. They usually make it through the freshman year but the burn out will start in the summer before their sophomore year. They find their freedom from their parents and start to realize their is a bigger world. Or they have a bad injury and decide it is not worth it any more. My daughter had a major knee injury in her freshman season and this spring was really her first time back as a Junior. It has been hard on her to rationalize playing any more. But she is in the minority of players that will finish out all 4-5 years on a woman's soccer team.

Personally, it should be a combination of everything. First find out if your child really wants to play soccer at the college level. If they don't then apply for academic programs and what best suits your child's development. If they do then go and start talking to the colleges and see who is interested. My child liked the smaller schools, and wanted to be close to home. So that limited the schools of choice and then she picked the one that worked for her. And through all the problems, she has continued to love playing soccer and loves her teammates. She has created bonds with players that will last a very long time. But of the 14 that started with her only 4 remain. Playing sports in college is extremely challenging especially after the freshman year when the classes are no longer a review from high school. My daughter is proof that it can be done but it is not easy and will wear on your soul at times.....

Here I go again!
throw in
throw in
Quote:

I know from experience that at least 50% of the girls recruited on a soccer team for any college will not be there as a senior.

Much as I might be in agreement with you, I have long wondered what the actual NCAA statistics show. It's unfair to say "any college" without stats to back it up. Of the 7 kids who entered school with one of my kids, 4 will be there as Seniors this fall. In fairness, I suppose I should wait to post this comment until the fall in order to help prove - or disprove - the 50% theory. Anyone have a link to actual stats???

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I can't stay quiet on this topic although my kids are way too young to enter college yet.

I am on the other hand (in my day job) someone who is very qualified to offer an opinion. For many years I have recruited and offered jobs to many graduatuing students and I will say (outside of soccer) the college you/your child selects matters very much in some cases.

As for statistics to back this up, there are many sites to offer advice on career prospects in different fields, salary levels, and graduating rates. Can't speak to NCAA athlete stats but as someone who needs to selectively recruit (based on recruiting budget often) I like IPEDS as a tool.

IPEDS is the primary source for data on colleges, universities, and technical and vocational postsecondary institutions in the United States. IPEDS

I would also point parents to Department of Labor (Statistics) for job market prospects, salary, and growth.
Bureau of Labor Statistics

Happy to say outlook for teachers and software developers looks rosy.

Now if you were looking at a college to get a comp sci or similar degree from, you should be selective. I will state it does matter.

Hmmm... does Carnegie Mellon have a soccer team?

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
world cup
world cup
Funny you should mention Carnegie Mellon. (By the way, they have a new coach this year.)

http://www.cmu.edu/athletics/sports/wsoccer/schedules/index.html

I have always marveled at the conference this school plays in, some of the greatest institutions of higher learning, spread throughout the entire eastern half of the country.

Division III schools......with this kind of travel. I realize games are played on Fridays and Sundays to minimize the amount of missed class time, but it is shocking that these girls get on airplanes to fly to Atlanta and Chicago for matches.

No athletic scholarships and the annual cost has to be close to $50K. Wow!

Any girl interested in an academic/athletic opportunity like this.....with 1600 on the traditional SAT's......should probably look at Emory.

Cainhoy, I hope your company is paying big bucks to these kids when they graduate because unless they have a Sugar Daddy.......it's college loans up the whazzooooo!

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
O
throw in
throw in
O
Notwithstanding Sweetfeet's federal educrat statistics, I would not advise any high school student to choose a college based PRIMARILY on the school's soccer program. Academics and other issues (how well does the college "fit" your values and your interests) should be at least as important. The reasons are multitude: the very real potential for career-ending injuries and coaching/program changes are two big ones.

In Summerville, there have been a number of very talented high school soccer players (boys and girls) who have given up the opportunity to play Division II soccer and even Division I soccer at academically weak schools to attend Duke, Chapel Hill, Clemson, Furman, Davidson, and College of Charleston, among others. I would question the sanity of any parent who would prefer their child accept a scholarship to play soccer at a Charleston Southern, a Lander, or a Francis Marion if that child also had the opportunity to attend Clemson or Furman or College of Charleston as a "civilian." The only compelling reason I could see to take the athletic scholarship at the academically weak D2 (or in the case of CSU - DI) school would be financial necessity.

Soccer is a great game but in the grand scheme, it really isn't that important. Not to mention there are intramural teams at Clemson and Chapel Hill that could beat a lot of D2 varsity teams in the area.

world cup
world cup
oldskool,

CLUB teams at Clemson and UNC....not INTRAMURAL teams.

Also, CofC thanks you for lumping them in with Furman, Davidson, UNC and Duke.

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

I would question the sanity of any parent who would prefer their child accept a scholarship to play soccer at a Charleston Southern, a Lander, or a Francis Marion if that child also had the opportunity to attend Clemson or Furman or College of Charleston as a "civilian." The only compelling reason I could see to take the athletic scholarship at the academically weak D2 (or in the case of CSU - DI) school would be financial necessity.

But don't you understand how much book money Junior will get with his soccer scholarship. Then when he changes Majors three times from Civil Engineering to Interior Decorating before finally deciding on General Studies it sure would be nice knowing those books would almost be paid for.

L
throw in
throw in
L
I do know that my Lady Vol Soccer girls graduated 100% of all players losing none I think, until 2008. One girl that year dropped out of soccer, college, everything and busted their statistics. Of the girls from this past season, all of the seniors played through all of their eligibility and the same is expected this year with only a few weeks left. I have not heard of other similar programs losing so many players through their college career as has been discussed in this thread.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
'Cainhoy, I hope your company is paying big bucks to these kids when they graduate...'

I shouldn't worry about CMU grads getting a good start at our or any other Company. Median income for grads in 2009 (about the worst economic climate to enter the workforce) was 80K.

Source: 2009 CMU post graduation survey (School of Computer Science)

odd that one of the graduating class took 27K. Can only think they took too many classes in compilers, data structures, algorithms, compilers, etc. and missed personal finances or economics 101

satus quod perago validus - start and finish strong
throw in
throw in
LadyVolDad,
That is great to hear about TN. That is a quality program, and the girls must be happy there, however, some of the other SEC schools do not have that type of record.
I think a lot depends on the style of the coaches, whether the coaches that recruited the student are still at the school when the student actually starts, and also how well the incoming class is assimilated/welcomed into the team. For example, Ole Miss began the year with a highly recruited class of 14 Freshmen - Called "The Herd" - they were the largest class in school history and one of the largest in SEC Women's soccer history. Even so, they are ending the season with only 4 or 5 of that class remaining (two more girls are deciding now whether they will return in the Fall).
Even though Ole Miss had a reasonably successful year, making it to the NCAA, beating teams like FL,GA, Auburn and Alabama, team morale was very low by the end of the Fall and that increased and carried over to the Spring Season. Of the 9 or 10 players that have left (one was on the SEC All-Freshman team)to my knowledge only 2 are transferring to other schools to continue playing soccer.
A few are transferring to other Colleges/Universities, and some are staying but not playing. As of today it was announced that all 3 coaches are leaving (including the Head Coach Steve Holeman)and going to Georgia, so the incoming Class of 2010/11 will face the same issues..coming into a school where the coaches that recruited them are gone and facing the uncertainty that new coaches always bring. I have heard that KY has lost several players this year also, but do not know have first hand knowledge of that team. Moral of the story - Commit based on what the school has to offer, not on the coaches or the soccer program! Four years go by quickly, and as been previously mentioned, a career-ending injury or other issues make it essential that you are where you need to be academically, with the soccer program being the second consideration.

L
Goal
Goal
L
lvd - it doesn't take much looking to find female players dropping off rosters. for starters just look at how many recruits are added each season and do the math from there. or look at how many seniors are listed on various school rosters. for most schools there aren't many seniors listed......clemson may not have any.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

lvd - it doesn't take much looking to find female players dropping off rosters. for starters just look at how many recruits are added each season and do the math from there. or look at how many seniors are listed on various school rosters. for most schools there aren't many seniors listed......clemson may not have any.

Cause the seniors are finished playing there four years and are removed from the spring roster.

L
Goal
Goal
L
sweet feet - now you should know better and realize that i'm not talkng about players that have already played THEIR senior season and removed from the team's roster.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

sweet feet - now you should know better and realize that i'm not talkng about players that have already played THEIR senior season and removed from the team's roster.

If you look at a team roster from Jan thru July/August it's misleading due to the fact that seniors have been removed from fall roster. If one was to look at a teams roster 7 months out of the year it would have zero seniors listed which like I said, is very misleading.

D
throw in
throw in
D
It seems several folks on here have experience as a parent,as a coach, and as a former/curent player in respect to playing college soccer. So, as a parent of a high school student who thinks she wants to play college soccer, what advise would you give as to the "right" path to take and how to approach the whole recruiting process? For instance, is the correct path for girls through premier and ODP or is it something else? Can a good challenge team player get noticed? How do we as parents help support them getting on the radar? Are these recruiting web sites and organizations worth the money?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

It seems several folks on here have experience as a parent,as a coach, and as a former/curent player in respect to playing college soccer. So, as a parent of a high school student who thinks she wants to play college soccer, what advise would you give as to the "right" path to take and how to approach the whole recruiting process? For instance, is the correct path for girls through premier and ODP or is it something else? Can a good challenge team player get noticed? How do we as parents help support them getting on the radar? Are these recruiting web sites and organizations worth the money?

#1. Talk to HS coach and Club coach about your daughters abilities.
#2. Help daughter map out a plan and set realistic goals using the information she received from her coaches.
#3. Build a list of approximately 10 schools that fit with your daughters abilities on the field and yes in the classroom.
#4. Work on a profile of your daughters soccer background and accomplishments and send to the prospective schools soccer coaches email, make sure all info is correct and coaches name is spelled correctly.
#5. Try and whittle down your choices so you can attend a couple camps of schools you are interested in.
As far as the companies that help with the recruiting process save your money for the camps so your daughter can show off her soccer skills to the coaches she would like to play for.
Can a good challenge player get noticed? YES. Camps, HS games, State Cups, Local club college combines, CESA cap program and stay very proactive with the college coaches in SC.
Also ODP is very good for exposure, and your daughter will play with some of the best players in the region during group play.
Good luck.

U
throw in
throw in
U
SC ODP Exposure???? Is this something new?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Alex Ramsey-2010 LSU: SC ODP exposure.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Again, "The Exception".......not the rule. Sure it can happen, but your daughter better be pretty darn good. Can't remember the last time a South Carolina girl went as far as Alex did in the ODP process. ODP definitely helped Alex get to LSU.

But......if Alex's parents would have invested $400 to send her to LSU's summer player ID camp, do you think she would have caught the coaching staff's attention?

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again, "The Exception".......not the rule. Sure it can happen, but your daughter better be pretty darn good. Can't remember the last time a South Carolina girl went as far as Alex did in the ODP process. ODP definitely helped Alex get to LSU.

But......if Alex's parents would have invested $400 to send her to LSU's summer player ID camp, do you think she would have caught the coaching staff's attention?

Funny thing is her parents sent her to 2 or 3 ID camps at USC and it was at ODP that she caught coach Lee from LSU's attention.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
See where this is headed..It's not any girl that wants to play college ball..Any girl is not going to have those choices..Only a select few that have more choices presented to them than the average.
The average will not play ball at all or will be in a smaller school that will not accommodate several major changes..If a player chooses a school based on playing soccer and soccer does not work out at the school..Is the player going to ask themselves." what am I doing Here"?

L
throw in
throw in
L
dawgknows,
I have heard of several different approaches by different girls that have headed to D1 and D2 schools. We prepared a profile sheet that was a summary of our daughters soccer career and kept it updated. We routinely sent it to various colleges but always had it with us at tournaments. Many coaches would come asn ask if we had such an item. We had an entry in soccerincollege.com, we played for a good club team that played the Atlanta and other big market clubs, and we sent emails to coaches letting them know where we were playing. We went to tournaments where recruiting was common. It paid off. Several of our girls did the same and many went to play college soccer. Of course you should also go to the camps where your preferred schools are so their coaches can see you one on one. Just one approach.

U
throw in
throw in
U
1 girl out of how many???? If I had it to do all over it would be 2 summer soccer camps a year beginning her freshman year. SC ODP needs to be broken up and started over with new leadership.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

1 girl out of how many???? If I had it to do all over it would be 2 summer soccer camps a year beginning her freshman year. SC ODP needs to be broken up and started over with new leadership.

I used Alex as an example at LSU due to the fact the coach saw her at ODP and based his offer on what he saw at ODP not camp, not club ,ODP. I try and keep my daughter out of any discussions unless asked for an opinion so here goes, she was given a nice offer from a coach that only saw her play at the ODP event in Alabama,and btw she chose a different school so thats two that I know for sure and there are many more. If you look at college rosters, over 90% have ODP experience.
As far as SC ODP, I agree with you unclebuck.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Uncle Buck: Your idea of 1 or 2 camps each summer beginning freshman year is a good one. I would like to take it a step further and say that making the "all-star game" or actually being put in the group to play with or against the incoming freshman recruits should be a goal while at the camp.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Uncle Buck: Your idea of 1 or 2 camps each summer beginning freshman year is a good one. I would like to take it a step further and say that making the "all-star game" or actually being put in the group to play with or against the incoming freshman recruits should be a goal while at the camp.

Problem is you have one shot at making an impression, bad showing and your done. That's the problem with going as a Freshman, you have one shot at doing something that the coach likes that will put you on his radar, bad showing and your wasting your time.

U
throw in
throw in
U
i should of rephrased it. narrow down the colleges you want to attend and attend their camps. CASL Soccer website lists the pool teams for the past 5 years for southeast odp pool teams. you'll have a hard time finding a sc player on it.

D
throw in
throw in
D
LVT and Sweet- Thanks for those perspectives. Those are very tangible suggestions we can use.

In SC on the girls side, it seems that good teams are very limited and many clubs put their resources into the boys sides. It is frustrating trying to find a decent team on which my daughter wants to play. For her it is about the level of play but also the level of character of her teammates. I think we are close to coming up with a short list of teams, but most involve driving across the state. Is this going too far? She will be a U-17 player this fall. I am wondering if we are crazy to be considering this at all at this point. Should we just play local and then go to ID camps, ODP, etc or should we focus on the best teams, tournaments, etc?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
dawg,
Check your mailbox

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

i should of rephrased it. narrow down the colleges you want to attend and attend their camps. CASL Soccer website lists the pool teams for the past 5 years for southeast odp pool teams. you'll have a hard time finding a sc player on it.

Are you talking about the ODP region pool or odp region III teams. mine made the region pool as a holdover 3 years and i know 2 other girls her age that also made it from sc. no girl from sc her age made the region team if that is what you are talking about.
you may be talking about the super y odp that casl has listed.
as far as exposure most of the offers mine got did come from odp. a big part of that was going to the odp camp in california. some of the offers were from playing in the bigger tournys and region III league.
you should go to the camps of schools you would like to play for but like someone said,if you have a bad showing then it could be bad for you. a lot of college camps are like many ( not all) high school games. you get a mix of talent levels and age groups and a coach may not always get a good look at a player with 300 kids on a field.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard