Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
bench
bench
Irmo has them sit on the same side too. Everyone does Belligerent... and Wando isn't assured a spot in the Lower State Championship game. Neither is Irmo. Irmo could've easily lost to Lexington in the last game, this one is no different. Wando could just as easily lose to Lexington if their paths collide before Lower State Championship Game.

goal
goal
We played in the Palmetto Cup at Brookland-Cayce HS last year and both teams sit on the same side with brick walls behind them and virtually no seating on that side of the field. Players on one side and fans on the other.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
goal
goal
Wow. Read what I wrote..."of course, that is going on the assumption that Irmo finishes #1 in their conference" and "Wando is the only school in the lowcountry (that I can think of right offhand) that has both teams sit on the same side" Read what soccerboy wrote "...and here in Illinois, it is a great thing. The benches are on the same side of the field." I'll give you that I jumped the gun a little on the earlier rounds.

You're kinda missing the point, though. MANY schools let fans CHOOSE which side THEY want to sit on. I'm NOT talking about the TEAMS, I'm talking about the FANS. As I mentioned, every school in the lowcountry except wando (again, that I can think of) allows the fans to sit on whichever side they want. AGAIN, if you've ever been to an irmo-wando match AT wando, you would see what I'm talking about. Having those two sets of fans sit on the same side is NOT smart!

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I like the State Championship games being held at Memorial stadium because there is plenty of room for the opposing teams. It makes for a great atmosphere and seperates some of the intense student/fan bases. It was a little intense during and after the Wando/Irmo game last year.

bench
bench
I love the intensity. Put them on the same side

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
memorial stadium was a football venue last year and every year. dont play soccer games at a football venue and dont play football games at stone stadium. spring valley and nhs played 3 straight years at stone stadium side to side with nary a fight or arrest or more than usual boorish behavior. most of us know how to behave and doesnt matter where game is played we still behave. the game is about the players not fans comfort or at least it should be.

Brace
Brace
My vote is back to Stone. Great place for a championship game.

C
Brace
Brace
C
They sit on the same side at West Ashly. Teams on one side and fans on the other, no problems last year at our place or Wando when Irmo came to town.

Last edited by Coach J; 04/27/10 01:12 AM.
goal
goal
Gee, thanks, everyone, for your experiences. I was at the Irmo-West Ashley match last year, and yes it was just fine up in the stands (except for the woman who screamed at the ref every time a wa played hacked an irmo player and got called for it, which was a lot). And I'm sure the spring valley vs nhs matches were wonderful, also. I imagine 99% of matches where the fans from both teams sit on the same side are perfectly fine. I am talking specifically about when irmo comes to wando. I agree that the match is about the players - brilliant, wolfgang. If you are sitting in the middle of a pack of irmo or wando fans, which I've done before, no big deal. But if you are sitting on the fringes, near one of the student sections, you CAN'T enjoy the game – you're too worried about whether or not you'll get hit with a flying object or if a fight is going to start up right beside you. For the most part, these matches do have a great atmosphere, but I've been to too many where it wouldn't take much for something to get out of hand.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Stone Stadium is a much better pitch and atmosphere for the actual game and players. The field conditions are always fantastic and it is a college campus so lets the players get the feel of it all. I vote for Stone Stadium any day of the week.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard