M
Whos ur champion game match up?

I have Wando and Northwestern.

Ur takes???

M
brace
brace
M
Wando is a very tough opponent with high quality players in Brandon Burkholder, Erik Clark and a fan base as hell bent on soccer as the IRMO fans are. On top of that, I don't remember a bad match-up between these to schools in over 10 years. It is always a game to see.

Having said that, I'm betting IRMO will get through there will be an IRMO vs Northwestern Final. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
L
kick off
kick off
L
same thread, different day, yawn....in short narrow it down to 4. Fort Mill/ NHS and Irmo/Wando. Now if anyone saw FM and WAndo in Palmetto Cup then it should be obvious to see this will be another NHS Irmo rematch. This time though, experience is on Irmo's side. Next thread please...

goal kick
goal kick
Yes it's no doubt that it's gunna be an Irmo vs. Northwestern final. And my prediction for that game is Irmo wins it 2-0. Wando has a very good squad but when it comes down to the big games I don't think they have the experience yet to win them.

J
bench
bench
J
wando cant even beat BE how are they expected to beat the good 4A teams?

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
I will say Irmo 3-1 over Northwestern in the 4A Final. Irmo is too athletic, fast, skilled, at all positions to lose again this season. Northwestern is exceptional with Martinez, Garbanzo, and Miller, but struggle in the back and especially in the net. I still can't figure out why Foster is on the field and not in goal??? Northwestern is good for a goal with that talented offensive trio.

As for Wando, they'll play Irmo in the Lower State and will put up a fight, but again Irmo is too deep and too talented to lose this game. Wando's time is coming as they are as impressive a young team as I've seen in some time. They're deep too!

I'm not sold on Fort Mill as they have a serious gk problem.

Who are the potential teams to post upsets? Mauldin? Wren? Spring Valley? Summerville? Beaufort? West Ashley? Fort Dorchester?

E
bench
bench
E
Same thing as last year.

Irmo vs NW, first half being very competitive and then Irmo get severely outcoached after half time again and lose

kick off
kick off
doh!
Why would anyone assume anyone but Irmo.
They already dominated NW once this year...has something changed (made NW better or Irmo worse)?

Wando is struggling.

Homer no function beer well without
Brace
Brace
Don't know if I would hand over upper state to NW this early. Feel FM, Mauldin, Dorman, Wren could surprise a few folks not giving them sufficient credit. Still a good, solid three weeks for any team to make huge strides forward and/or get the wounded healed.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
irmo is good and so is wando. game will be at irmo with irmo's assistant coach assigning the referees. so for wando to win they will have not to just beat irmo but will have to do so convincingly. hard to do that at irmo when their assistant dennis cook picks and pays the refs. will be nhs and ft mill with trojans coming out of top. this wolf believes that the trojans will prevail against irmo 3-2.

S
throw in
throw in
S
Quote:

irmo is good and so is wando. game will be at irmo with irmo's assistant coach assigning the referees. so for wando to win they will have not to just beat irmo but will have to do so convincingly. hard to do that at irmo when their assistant dennis cook picks and pays the refs. will be nhs and ft mill with trojans coming out of top. this wolf believes that the trojans will prevail against irmo 3-2.

Question for the masses--has Dennis Cook been an assistant at Irmo for all the years that Coach Savitz has been at Irmo?
If that is the case, then there needs to be an asterisk by all fourteen (?fifteen?) of those titles that Coach Savitz and Irmo has won over those years because Wolfie here has uncovered a sinister plot that has obviously allowed Irmo to win all those trophies that sit in the trophy case at IHS. Really Wolfie, this tired old excuse for Irmo winning is the best you can do? This belittles not only the character of Dennis but also the character of all of the many refs that have called the Irmo games over the years.

Good luck to all the teams as they enter the playoffs in the next few weeks. And for the record, Irmo has to beat Lexington in their rematch to win the region and get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

throw in
throw in
I have Lexington and Irmo, with the cats pulling off one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Quote:

Did not help Irmo last year in the national championship game. That is one trophy Irmo will never win.

bench
bench
Is irmo lower state or upper this year? My understanding was they were a team that floated back and forth year to year.

Brace
Brace
Irmo is lower. My feeling is Wando vs Irmo in Lower State.

goal kick
goal kick
Quote:

Quote:

Question for the masses--has Dennis Cook been an assistant at Irmo for all the years that Coach Savitz has been at Irmo?
If that is the case, then there needs to be an asterisk by all fourteen (?fifteen?) of those titles that Coach Savitz and Irmo has won over those years because Wolfie here has uncovered a sinister plot that has obviously allowed Irmo to win all those trophies that sit in the trophy case at IHS. Really Wolfie, this tired old excuse for Irmo winning is the best you can do? This belittles not only the character of Dennis but also the character of all of the many refs that have called the Irmo games over the years.

Good luck to all the teams as they enter the playoffs in the next few weeks. And for the record, Irmo has to beat Lexington in their rematch to win the region and get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Actually even if Lexington were to beat Irmo, they would be co-region champs assuming they both win the rest of their region games, but Irmo would still be the number 1 seed b/c of their overall record. And I wouldn't count Lexington out either for lowerstate.

G'd up from the feet up
sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
another nw vs irmo final...nw winning again 3-2

One Time!
H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Irmo 2-1 over NW based on the fact their earlier meeting this season wasn't all that close. That is if Irmo can get past Wando though, last year they left it pretty late. Have to pick NW getting to the final until SOMEBODY/ANYBODY proves otherwise. Really hoping someone can have a surprise run in the Upstate just to shake things up. Still think Irmo wins it regardless though.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
yo socdad, u really believe that the fact that dennis cook assigns the refs and no one on the other sideline has a say so has no bearing? i am not saying that irmo would not have won any game this year due to unfair calls, but it sure does smell. the appearance of impropriety is just a s bad as real wrong itself. in last year's state final, irmo got a pk for what i dont know and i have watched that incident a gazillion times. neither the linesman nor center ref did anything. then center ref goes to sidelines of irmo and low and behold he then calls a pk. fortunately for northestern the score was 3-1. if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, probably is a duck. i'm just saying....

H
goal kick
goal kick
H
Go check out that Irmo/Wando State Final back in 2002. Sure didn't help having Dennis in that game. That might have been the biggest hose job I've ever seen. Quit complaining. When Irmo was down for a couple years recently in 06, 07 nobody was saying anything about Dennis being on the sideline then. Everybody has calls go for them and everybody has calls go against them so it all works out anyways. Its just how the games go.

S
Brace
Brace
S
It is absurd if you think these things are thrown because of Dennis Cook. I am sure people saying this have never met the man. Look for another reason to cry, Irmo is good because they have good players, good coaches, and they work hard. It has nothing to do with biased referees. That's a dumb statement. JMHO.

bench
bench
irmo beating nhs in a preseason tournament does not mean they are automatically going to beat them again in state. lets look at the facts. 2 out of nhs' state seasons had losses in the lake murray challenge. nhs wants revenge so i believe it will be nhs-3 and shmirmo-2 in the championship

S
Brace
Brace
S
I've seen both play multiple times this year. This is not the same team NHS fielded last year. NHS has great attack but average defending and goalkeeping, Irmo on the other hand is well rounded all over the pitch (similar to NHS 09).

You can call for revenge and redemption all you want but do you not think Irmo wants revenge after losing last year in state? I can promise, winning LMC is not a big deal to them compared to the aspirations they have to redeem themselves and win state.

I am not knocking NHS one bit because I love watching them play; they are well coached, well disciplined and just flat out exciting to watch. but at the end of the day, this is Irmo's year....

Q
throw in
throw in
Q
Average defenders and goalkeeping??

Their backline will be the deciding factor for winning a state championship. They will need to do their best to keep the ball out of their third and the BIG 3 will have to come up BIG with multiple goals for Northwestern to win. It might not be a bad idea to let Foster guard the pipes either!!!

But in the end none of this matters because it's going to be a heck of a game to watch and anticipate the rest of the year!!!

Shoot don't forget about Fornell, Nutsey and crew at Wando wanting revenge!!!

J
Brace
Brace
J
I think it is funny how everyone is assuming that Irmo and NW are going to make it to the state finals with no real challenges. Lets be real, a few key injuries, a couple of players having a bad game, and it is a real possibility that either of these teams could lose. You can never be certain in the playoffs....weird things can and do happen. Good luck to all the teams this year in the playoffs, and lest hope for some good, clean games with lots of sportsmanship and a minimization of "simulated" fouls and whining!

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
H
goal kick
goal kick
H
I agree Soccerboy, I think Irmo is going to get all they want from Wando come playoff time. They sure did last year.

goal
goal
Keep in mind that if Irmo and Wando meet this year, the match will be at Irmo...huge advantage for the yellow jackets (of course, that is going on the assumption that Irmo finishes #1 in their conference)

Serious question - do you think as many wando fans will drive to irmo for a tuesday evening match as irmo fans that would drive to wando for the same? and don't just say "wando's gonna pack that stadium!" because you're a wando fan.

I've been to at least a couple of those matchups at wando, so i know how many people irmo brings to town (although it's a little hard to tell because the wando a.d. makes all the fans sit on the same side - and how brilliant is that?) but i've never been to an irmo-wando match at irmo. has anybody else? has there ever even been one?

J
Brace
Brace
J
Before you go blasting making the fans sit on the same side, if I remember correctly, many states have that as a rule to prevent anyone from being behind the players' bench. This prevents a lot of problems, and here in Illinois, it is a great thing. The benches are on the same side of the field. Prevents the center referee from running back and forth to explain a card or call.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
goal
goal
I suppose I see your point, but Wando is the only school in the lowcountry (that I can think of right offhand) that has both teams sit on the same side - not sure why they do it differently from everyone else.

All I know is that making Irmo and Wando fans sit on the same side is somewhat dangerous, and just asking for problems. Last year, it was a full-time job for the a.d. and his helpers to keep things from getting out of hand.

For me, at least, if it's a choice between fan safety and the center ref having to run a little more, that's a no-brainer. Maybe there's something else that has not been considered - I just don't know what it is.

sG Offline
corner kick
corner kick
Northwestern has both teams sit on the same side as well. Doesn't seem to be a problem there.

One Time!
bench
bench
Irmo has them sit on the same side too. Everyone does Belligerent... and Wando isn't assured a spot in the Lower State Championship game. Neither is Irmo. Irmo could've easily lost to Lexington in the last game, this one is no different. Wando could just as easily lose to Lexington if their paths collide before Lower State Championship Game.

goal
goal
We played in the Palmetto Cup at Brookland-Cayce HS last year and both teams sit on the same side with brick walls behind them and virtually no seating on that side of the field. Players on one side and fans on the other.

You may disagree, but you're wrong!
goal
goal
Wow. Read what I wrote..."of course, that is going on the assumption that Irmo finishes #1 in their conference" and "Wando is the only school in the lowcountry (that I can think of right offhand) that has both teams sit on the same side" Read what soccerboy wrote "...and here in Illinois, it is a great thing. The benches are on the same side of the field." I'll give you that I jumped the gun a little on the earlier rounds.

You're kinda missing the point, though. MANY schools let fans CHOOSE which side THEY want to sit on. I'm NOT talking about the TEAMS, I'm talking about the FANS. As I mentioned, every school in the lowcountry except wando (again, that I can think of) allows the fans to sit on whichever side they want. AGAIN, if you've ever been to an irmo-wando match AT wando, you would see what I'm talking about. Having those two sets of fans sit on the same side is NOT smart!

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
I like the State Championship games being held at Memorial stadium because there is plenty of room for the opposing teams. It makes for a great atmosphere and seperates some of the intense student/fan bases. It was a little intense during and after the Wando/Irmo game last year.

bench
bench
I love the intensity. Put them on the same side

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
memorial stadium was a football venue last year and every year. dont play soccer games at a football venue and dont play football games at stone stadium. spring valley and nhs played 3 straight years at stone stadium side to side with nary a fight or arrest or more than usual boorish behavior. most of us know how to behave and doesnt matter where game is played we still behave. the game is about the players not fans comfort or at least it should be.

Brace
Brace
My vote is back to Stone. Great place for a championship game.

C
Brace
Brace
C
They sit on the same side at West Ashly. Teams on one side and fans on the other, no problems last year at our place or Wando when Irmo came to town.

Last edited by Coach J; 04/27/10 01:12 AM.
goal
goal
Gee, thanks, everyone, for your experiences. I was at the Irmo-West Ashley match last year, and yes it was just fine up in the stands (except for the woman who screamed at the ref every time a wa played hacked an irmo player and got called for it, which was a lot). And I'm sure the spring valley vs nhs matches were wonderful, also. I imagine 99% of matches where the fans from both teams sit on the same side are perfectly fine. I am talking specifically about when irmo comes to wando. I agree that the match is about the players - brilliant, wolfgang. If you are sitting in the middle of a pack of irmo or wando fans, which I've done before, no big deal. But if you are sitting on the fringes, near one of the student sections, you CAN'T enjoy the game – you're too worried about whether or not you'll get hit with a flying object or if a fight is going to start up right beside you. For the most part, these matches do have a great atmosphere, but I've been to too many where it wouldn't take much for something to get out of hand.

K
corner kick
corner kick
K
Stone Stadium is a much better pitch and atmosphere for the actual game and players. The field conditions are always fantastic and it is a college campus so lets the players get the feel of it all. I vote for Stone Stadium any day of the week.

C
kick off
kick off
C
Stone Stadium 100%
this shouldn't even be a question where the game should be played. one of the best pitches in the state and it is awesome for the players to play on a college field like Stone

Q
throw in
throw in
Q
Why wouldn't the State Championships be at Stone??

The Clash is played at Blackbaud in Mt.Pleasant(Low country)= Awesome Venue

The North/South Game is played at Wofford college (Upstate)= Nice place

The State Championships should also be represented at an excellent venue in the Midlands not a high school stadium!!

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Why wouldn't the State Championships be at Stone??

Enzo & Irmo ruined it for everyone last year. Stone is no longer big enough to handle the crowd according to the SCHSL.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard