Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
bench
bench
Soccer16, you are a little quick to bash SCISA as Pinewood Prep actually defeated Bishop England last week. Just shows that the top SCISA teams can compete with some of the best teams in SCHSL.

throw in
throw in
My understanding is BE is 2A because their school size fits within the size that the HSL roughly establishes as being 2A based on the enrollment. I also understand that the HSL debated a couple of years ago making BE and Christ Church play up a level because they have the ability to recruit players while public schools can't, and the league backed down when BE threatened a lawsuit over it.

S
goal
goal
S
Absolutely not! You kinda missed my point. I have great respect for SCISA, it's teams, players and coaches. I have watched alot of those very same players grow up through club soccer. I just don't understand what BE has against playing in SCISA? They would surely dominate that league as well.

bench
bench
They surely would not dominate as shown by the Pinewood game.

G
bench
bench
G
there has been sour grapes about BE's soccer success for soooo long. Just step up your teams and quit complaining- BE has played against all comers for years and has just won the BC tournament in Columbia- what2-A 3-A or 4-a team has BE not played or shied away from in all these years- none- that i am aware of

J
Brace
Brace
J
What SC should go to is a multiplier for private schools that participate in the high school league. where I currently live, as many know, this was adopted about 2 years ago. For some strange reason when the private schools had their advantage removed, there were statistically far fewer private schools that were winning state titles. It was nice to see the "all boys private schools" have to go up against schools that were much larger. When you have "recruitment" whether actual or implied by having a good team at a private school...and we all know what we are talking about, you get people that move their kids into that school for both academics and for the sports. This is an advantage, and anyone that says it isn't is in denial. It is an unfair advantage that the SCHSL allows to happen, and the rules need to be modified to make it fair to the smaller schools that aren't allowed the same advantages.

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
"Implied recruitment" - interesting term. And yes Soccerboy it is an advantage to be Catholic and athletic. The overwhelming majority of BE players are from Catholic families and many have parents and grandparents who graduated BE. Anyone out there ready to convert to Catholicism to play soccer? Come on...

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
It's also an advantage to have no district lines...So we're not talking about all the catholics that live on Daniel Island..

J
Brace
Brace
J
Marta, you do not have to be Catholic to go to a Catholic school....so there is no conversion necessary. I know many people that went to the local soccer powerhouse program that were not Catholic, but it was a Catholic school. Your point does not make sense....but I know for a fact that many of the students that attend this local high school either have "academic" scholarships or play soccer there for the pure fact that it is a good program year after year. I find it amusing that many of the areas best soccer players from club play on this team....is it coincidence? I hardly think so...some drive as far as an hour one way to attend this school. Just my opinion though....

If you are going to argue a point, at least get factual information to back up your side.....
M
Marta Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
M
Soccerboy can you name one student who receives or received an "academic" scholarship to go to BE? The card carrying members of the BE Bashers Club keep screaming "recruiting" with no evidence to support it! BE doesn't have academic scholarships. There may be other private schools that do but BE doesn't. They don't have the money. (Try Porter Gaud or Pinewood)

50% of BE students participate in organized sports. As to my point "not making sense" you fail to acknowledge that large number of players are Catholic, went to Catholic grammar (feeder) schools and have family that attended BE. You were discussing recruiting and I'm saying to you it's not happening. These kids would be at BEHS with or without soccer and they would just play another sport.

And I was saying to the non-Catholics who want to play soccer at BE, come on over and we'll teach you how to make the sign of the cross and say the "Hail Mary" because you have to go to mass and take theology whether you're Catholic or not. Any takers?

The issue of "recruiting" and "unfair" is a dead horse, but keep beating it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard