Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Why is HS soccer the only sport with such lopsided scores ? Each school regardless of size and location seems to be able to field competitive teams in every sport except soccer, why?

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Maybe to many different levels of play?
Also I see soccer presented as " come out and have some fun"
so I see kids playing soccer in school that don't play at all outside of school..Do you think that would wash in football,basketball or baseball? I don't think so.

Goal
Goal
You have pockets of our state that could care less about soccer and have no club to support their HS program. Clubs have a direct effect on HS soccer programs.

When schools start a HS program and compete in a region with established programs, you will always have lopsided scores. I'm sure that there are many people that will post a lengthy explanation on the issue but, this is just a very short version.

It is the south and football is king as well.

Goal
Goal
Maybe it's just the sport that you're most familiar. I don't know, but I saw a HS softball score of 31-0 two weeks ago -- in five innings!

How about the Byrnes football scores this year?
43-7
65-14
52-6
85-8
60-7
49-6
42-9
72-27
53-0

Pretty lopsided to me.

Timberland girls basketball:
76-32
73-27
73-33

Again, pretty lopsided to me.

Victory Starts Here!
I
goal
goal
I
IMO it is how the school supports particular sports that allow that sport to flourish. Our wrestling team was not that good, got a great coach, then two years later they win the region. Soccer at different places gets support at other places it does not. Most all places support Football, Baseball, and Basketball.

Support can just be a coach, who really knows what he or she is doing... in high school that is almost enough. And for really great programs, there is sub teams to support the upper teams. Spartanburg County has 7th and 8th grade football, wonder why it does better than Greenville. Greenville has 7th and 8th grader soccer not football. Mauldin, Riverside... enough said.

I had a track coach who did a wonderful job with very little talent except for what he developed... he won so many track and CC events and states, they named the football stadium after him. High School is a coaches game.
That is not to say the club does not matter, as a matter of fact, the great coach works with them in season, and gets them ready out of season however and whenever possible... for soccer that is a club.

Emerald for example... basically the girls won their region over and over. Now the coach is gone, because the AD wants to give a football coach an extra check. Our program almost went that way.

Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Quote:

You have pockets of our state that could care less about soccer and have no club to support their HS program. Clubs have a direct effect on HS soccer programs.

When schools start a HS program and compete in a region with established programs, you will always have lopsided scores. I'm sure that there are many people that will post a lengthy explanation on the issue but, this is just a very short version.

It is the south and football is king as well.

Captain Obvious everyone! Next thread this is repeated mumble!

G
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
G
I would say thats the biggest reason. Like Notsofastfriend said, you have schools that don't really care. You may have players that really want to play and win but the schools don't take the time to find a good coach. They just hire an asst football coach to basically drive them to the game and stand. The first school that I coached at hired me while I was in college because their AD wanted to have a successful program and was tired of winless seasons. Schools could find college players that know the game and can train athletes to be competitive. Go out and talk the football and bball players into playing. Athletes that are that good catch on to the game quickly.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
I think it boils down to soccer being the most challenging sport to learn.
You can take a 300 pound HS senior who has never played a single down in football and turn him into a blue chip recruit in one season. Same can be said for a 7 footer in basketball. Can anyone on this forum name a single player who started playing soccer in HS and was a all-state selection in 3A, or 4-A.

I
goal
goal
I
and you can get a guy who is ultra fast to play as a forward in soccer... sweet there are always athletes who can transcend a sport by a gift of speed, height or size... But that is not why one team thumps another one in soccer. It is about the "program".

I
goal
goal
I
If you think Byrnes wins because of 300 pound people just living in Duncan, you are flat foulish. They practice and condition those kids year round. They were having a kicking clinic the last time I was over there. Dist 5 is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on the PROGRAM!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard