Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
goal kick
goal kick
C
Good club soccer equals good high school soccer. Many programs are not fed through middle school or JV programs but club. Look at the club influence on any SC high school soccer team and it will normally correlate what level of success it's having. Quality coaches certainly support that situation. Schools that make a committment to hiring quality people normally do well in all sports i.e. Dorman. But even the best coach can't make horseradish out of horse s*%t!

I
goal
goal
I
You need to ask the AD that! But that is the question.

Goal
Goal
Quote:

. But even the best coach can't make horseradish out of horse s*%t!

hahahaahahhaha...classic line and agreed

I
goal
goal
I
Quote:

Good club soccer equals good high school soccer. Many programs are not fed through middle school or JV programs but club. Look at the club influence on any SC high school soccer team and it will normally correlate what level of success it's having. Quality coaches certainly support that situation. Schools that make a committment to hiring quality people normally do well in all sports i.e. Dorman. But even the best coach can't make horseradish out of horse s*%t!

My biggest point was simple. A good soccer coach matters. If you take a wide reciever coach from the football team, and make them a soccer coach to get them an extra few grand then... you get what you get. That does happen to soccer. Now how many times do you suppose it happens the other way? NONE!!!
Soccer is a red headed step child to most other sports, at the average school anyway. The AD being the football coach should not be allowed, conflict of interest for the overall set of programs.

And obviously the staked teams where everyone goes to club, versus the areas that do not have a club near by... creates some of these gaps.

The correlation of year round participation holds for all sports, not just soccer.

Since you put Dorman out there, lets test the 7th and 8th grade influence, by reviewing the number of times Mauldin went to the Championship game versus Dorman. Hands down that orange color wins. Not to say Dorman is not good most all the time and very good this year. Do not bash me for making the comparison... not Dorman hating, or anything, just making a point.

C
goal kick
goal kick
C

My point was a good coach matters also...in any sport. You also need the players and club support to do well in hs soccer. Dorman wasn't used as a soccer model but an athletic one. Their school administration and AD have made a conscious effort to hire qualified people to coach all their teams. As a result all are very competitive. More schools should follow the model. But bring a top coach to Podunk HS with no support system....not going to be horseradish!

I
goal
goal
I
Our points are mostly the same then.

Last edited by ZEN MASTER; 04/19/10 06:43 PM.
R
corner kick
corner kick
R
Zen, I guess then in your eyes that State Championship Dorman won in 2005 / 06 doesnt count for much!

U
throw in
throw in
U
The common denominator why there are so many lopsided scores in high school soccer is $$$$. The middle to wealthy hs are blowing the less financial fortunate hs out. The reason is simple. The less fortunate inter city or low income hs school kid might play ymca soccer or rec soccer, but when their old enough to play club they can't afford it. Clubs are only interested in families that can afford the annual fees. When was the last time you saw an inter city kid on a Club team.(Never) This is one reason soccer will never overtake the 3 major sports in the US. The 3 major sports let everyone participate regardless of income. Many of us including myself might not be watching my daughter play premier soccer if the less fortunate were able to participate. Example: There more paying fans watching Dorman play Byrnes in a HS football game than watching the Womens D1 Soccer National Championship game. When i see 80,000 fans watching Alabama playing Auburn in soccer on a Saturday afternoon maybe you can change my mind.

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
Not the only sport. I coached basketball and volleyball along with soccer and lopsided scores were not absent there.

throw in
throw in
A someone who has coached at several different sports soccer isn't the only one with blowouts, you just notice more because that's what your tuned into, lots of games reported here. In the other sports the scores are generally reported to the paper for public consumption and as a coach you're reluctant to call the paper and publish a blowout.
Also I will say the clubs in the area are doing a good job trying to help poorer kids get involved by covering fees. However its the "hidden costs" that keep poorer kids from plying and clubs really can't do much about, things like rides to practice or across state lines for weekend matches. Many of the poorer kids have no rides and therefore can't play.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard