Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

I think it boils down to soccer being the most challenging sport to learn.
You can take a 300 pound HS senior who has never played a single down in football and turn him into a blue chip recruit in one season. Same can be said for a 7 footer in basketball. Can anyone on this forum name a single player who started playing soccer in HS and was a all-state selection in 3A, or 4-A.

Cobi Jones.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
world cup
world cup
celtic said it best. "Location, location, location".

If you are in an affluent community with competitive clubs in the area, you are going to succeed. These programs generally hire good coaches because they are "avaialble". Active/involved soccer parents would not stand for the wide receivers coach coaching the varsity high school soccer team.

When these schools play rural schools that don't have the same resources.......you get 13-0.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think it boils down to soccer being the most challenging sport to learn.
You can take a 300 pound HS senior who has never played a single down in football and turn him into a blue chip recruit in one season. Same can be said for a 7 footer in basketball. Can anyone on this forum name a single player who started playing soccer in HS and was a all-state selection in 3A, or 4-A.

Cobi Jones.

Cobi developed his soccer skills in the San Fernando Valley recreation program as a youth in the 80's, and remember that was before club soccer exploded onto the scene.

U
throw in
throw in
U
My son played youth football and basketball. When we played the teams from the inter city we would get our doors blown off.

C
throw in
throw in
C
Quote:

My son played youth football and basketball. When we played the teams from the inter city we would get our doors blown off.

I think its ironic to mention inner-city basketball. I wonder what the parents there spend on ODP, Team Fees, Weekend tournaments, and I also wonder what the DOC's and Trainers make.

How can they possibly expect to ever have their child make a decent college or professional team without all those things?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

celtic said it best. "Location, location, location".

If you are in an affluent community with competitive clubs in the area, you are going to succeed. These programs generally hire good coaches because they are "avaialble". Active/involved soccer parents would not stand for the wide receivers coach coaching the varsity high school soccer team.

When these schools play rural schools that don't have the same resources.......you get 13-0.

In America, yes...Brazil...no

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Were the same kids blowing your sons doors off in the classroom as well? I bet your son has a bit more balance.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

Quote:

I think its ironic to mention inner-city basketball. I wonder what the parents there spend on ODP, Team Fees, Weekend tournaments, and I also wonder what the DOC's and Trainers make.

How can they possibly expect to ever have their child make a decent college or professional team without all those things?

Forget about how much they spend on ODP, how much time do they spend raising there child. Everyone loves to talk about all the money people spend on soccer, I like to think about all the time we get to spend with our child during the journey. hard to put a price on it.
I also think a kid playing club soccer has a far better chance of going to college and playing a sport than your basic inner city athlete. Just my opinion.

world cup
world cup
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Forget about how much they spend on ODP, how much time do they spend raising there child. Everyone loves to talk about all the money people spend on soccer, I like to think about all the time we get to spend with our child during the journey. hard to put a price on it.
I also think a kid playing club soccer has a far better chance of going to college and playing a sport than your basic inner city athlete. Just my opinion.

No, I don't want to forget about the money......

I was always curious how the money works in AAU Basketball. Can somebody in the know comment on this? Sonny Vacarro (sp?) pulls in big bucks form Adidas or Nike. I don't think we have a "national guy" like this in youth soccer. How do the inner-city kids afford to travel coast-to-coast? Who's the "sugar daddy"? Who is paying the tourney entry fees, the travel, the coaches? For the lower-level kid, I'm sure it's mom and dad. What's going on at the highest level?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Hurst:

How much in common do you think a parent of a top soccer club player has with a parent of a top AAU basketball player.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard