Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
throw in
throw in
U
I think this thread was about "Why is HS soccer the only sport with such lopsided scores" It's simple the wealthy HS athletes are good at country club sports. golf, soccer, tennis,etc.(Baseball could be an exception) The middle class to wealthy class geographical areas are targeted by soccer clubs. Ask an existing soccer club to open a facility in Union County or the Berea area and you'll get some funny looks.

S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
Quote:

I think this thread was about "Why is HS soccer the only sport with such lopsided scores" It's simple the wealthy HS athletes are good at country club sports. golf, soccer, tennis,etc.(Baseball could be an exception) The middle class to wealthy class geographical areas are targeted by soccer clubs. Ask an existing soccer club to open a facility in Union County or the Berea area and you'll get some funny looks.

I think it still goes back to soccer being the most difficult sport to excel in.

corner kick
corner kick
most difficult or most demanding. ever played golf

That there is an RV Clark......
world cup
world cup
Quote:

Hurst:

How much in common do you think a parent of a top soccer club player has with a parent of a top AAU basketball player.

Economically? In most cases very, very little. That's why I want to know where the money is coming from.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
M
throw in
throw in
M
The query of this thread is a fallacy. Take a look at the high school league website "Palmetto's Finest" for 2009-10 playoff scores which would be a small sampling. For example:

Football
Byrnes v White Knoll 58-0
Northwestern v So. Florence 53-0
Greenville v W. Oak 59-0
Chesterfield v Lewisville 70-0!!!!

and how about Wrestling:
Hillcrest v TL Hanna 73-0
Ft. Mill v Ridgeview 72-6
Dorman v Greenview 75-3

and many 30 to 50 point spreads in basketball (girls particularly)

And I don't buy the rich v poor argument. If you took the best athletes from the "rural" or "poor" schools and exposed them to soccer as a desirable sport at a young age and if they played the game from a young age then maybe they would become competitive high school players. They often become very competitive football or basketball players don't they? Do you think the best players in the world were "rich" and that's how they became great soccer players? Many played in the streets to begin their skill sets.

When I go to a game in a rural area and see that they have a soccer team I'm ecstatic! Who would have ever thought that soccer would be happening in rural SOUTH CAROLINA! It doesn't matter the score, it's the greatest!

U
throw in
throw in
U
Marta, you're right on.. If the kids in rural, inter city areas were given the chance to train 8 years in soccer in SC the hs soccer landscape would be a whole lot different. The level of quality play would double maybe triple. This is why the sport of soccer will never hit the high level fan base that other high school sports have because soccer is for the wealthy, not everyone can participate. The player pool in soccer is extremely small compared to the big 3 sports.

M
throw in
throw in
M
Uncle Buck you have missed my point. Wealth has nothing to do with it. Exposure has everything to do with it. How many rural, inner city kids do you think got a soccer ball under their Christmas tree when they were growing up? If they've never seen soccer, don't understand it and their parents don't like it, those kids are never going to play. It isn't about money. Football, basketball & baseball are ingrained in American culture. So far, no amount of money is changing that. Money doesn't matter in European, South American or third world countries. EVERYBODY (except GIRLS) plays soccer! EVERYBODY watches soccer. Kids of all income levels play starting at a young age.

Kudos to the kids stepping out and playing soccer in rural and inner city areas where the BIG THREE are KING. Maybe their parents will start to like it and the best athletes will start to play when they're young. I'm not talking about training I'm talking about playing and enjoying the game. When that happens across the country change is acoming....

Goal
Goal
Last night ... AC Flora 20-0 Lower Richland!!! Same district and not that far apart!

Victory Starts Here!
U
throw in
throw in
U
Well Marta then i disagree with you. The top hs girl soccer teams in sc have girls that have been playing club soccer for years. Our monthly club fees (training, travel,etc) are between $500-$1000 per month. You can't tell me that money has nothing to do with it. Your way off.

P
kick off
kick off
P
Quote:

Maybe their parents will start to like it and the best athletes will start to play when they're young. I'm not talking about training I'm talking about playing and enjoying the game. When that happens across the country change is acoming....

I couldn't agree more. I grew up playing the big 3 sports(actually wrestling over basketball). I had never even watched a soccer match until my daughter started playing YMCA soccer at age 6. Eight years later it is my favorite sport and I don't go a day without watching it at some level. Unlike NASCAR, we don't have any big wrecks in soccer so its going to take some time to penetrate the more rural areas. Actually, I guess I have seen some pretty big wrecks on the high school stage. Their was a two car collision in the Mauldin/Dorman match up last night that almost sent them to the garage. These girls are tough.

Uncle Buck, I would agree that in the current climate money plays a large factor in the disparity among teams, but the only way we can eliminate that is to continue to grow the sport. If it can become commonplace everywhere, there will be good teams everywhere.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard