Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One thing I forgot. I know Scott and Tomek deserve the honor of top 18, just don't understand the all-state picks of the others on the team?? Sorry

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry again, 4 players not 5.

World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Cola Fan -- The State Newspaper sends out a nomination form to each high school coach and they are to submit players for nomination. The State makes the final decision, probably Gerald Davis (the Prep Sports editor).

J
world cup
world cup
J
quote:
Originally posted by BDad11:
I'm a little puzzled why Sumter was not included in The Midlands/Columbia area team.You had kids from Lugoff,Camden,Chapin,Gilbert,etc; but none from Sumter. You can't tell me a Super 18 player such as Jeffrey Taylor didn't deserve to make this team.So there must be some geographical parameters.What are they? It is a little surprising because Gerald Davis, the State's HS beat reporter is from Sumter and I understand there was an article on Lionel Boisvert from Sumter in yesterdays paper.Doesn't make any sense to me.

Okay let me try this again and be more detailed. It is an all-AREA team. I'm not sure if The State is distributed in Sumter but I know it is in Kershaw County. They also have a "neighbors" section which is distributed to all of the areas that could be considered suburbes of Cola.(hence Lugoff, Camden, Chapin).

There is a good distance between Camden and Sumter but that is neither here nor there. Everyone knows that Sumter is a top notch squad. I'm sure whatever paper is the main paper in Sumter has run articles before neglecting to mention Crestwood/Lakewood/Wilson/South Florence/West Florence etc..

Forgive any errors..I don't have time to proof this or confirm my facts. So I could be wrong.

B
goal
goal
B
L E Dude ,I guess The State doesn't consider Sumter in their area. Thats fine.Still seems a little strange to turn around and have an article on Lionel Boisvert though.
To be honest ,I read the Charleston paper or USA Today for Soccer news.Its amazing that The McDonalds game is played in Charleston and it gets nary a mention in the Columbia paper.If the Basketball Mcdonald's game would have been played in Charleston do you think "The Columbia" would have provided any coverage.BTW, henceforth I will refer the newspaper published in our capital city as" THE Columbia".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard