Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
goal
OP Offline
goal
S
How good of an athlete is a professional soccer player compared to other professional sports ? In my comparison I will use my top soccer player Messi vs basketballs top player Lebron James.

U
kick off
kick off
U
I think that is a hard question to answer. The most fair way would probably be to run the two through a myriad of tests and see who came out on top.

Ideas for tests would be individual tests such as 40, vertical, bench press, etc. The ability to do many of these well, however, does not automatically convert to prowess in a particular sport.

Other ideas would be to have them perform different sports tests, such as kicking field goals, throwing a football, pitching a baseball, playing 18 holes of golf, etc.

I think it would be hard to deny that a top level professional soccer player is incredibly athletic, such as Messi who is fast, agile, and obviously has tremendous coordination and control of a ball. LeBron James would be strong, powerful, have great jumping ability, and obviously a clinical shooter of a basketball. Interesting thought though either way.

Goal
Goal
Soccer is the 10th most difficult sport to play out of 60...according to some number crunchers. Here is the article with the table

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

U
kick off
kick off
U
One look at that poll tells me how reasonable it is in my opinion. If Prince Fielder and Tony Gwynn can play baseball, no chance should baseball be ranked above soccer. Running 90 whole feet in a row! How tough!

brace
brace
Ever stand in the box and swing at a 90 MPH fast ball? Oh yea the last one was coming right at your head but this one is right down the middle, till it drops like a rock the last 3 feet!

Break down the individual scores, soccer got one of the highest endurance scores, but it is not just about speed and endurance! Soccer did get the highest in agility!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY PUT AUTO RACING AT 32!!!!! wait till NASCAR see this! Tony Stewart is so much a better athlete than Henry!

corner kick
corner kick
Think John Kruk said it best.

"I ain't an athlete, lady, I'm a baseball player."

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY PUT AUTO RACING AT 32!!!!! wait till NASCAR see this! Tony Stewart is so much a better athlete than Henry!

Achmed not usually watch NASCAR, but happen to be flipping channels. They talk'n bout one driver that had ACL surgery two weeks ago and was driving that day.
Hmmmm....when was the last time you heard soccer player back on field in two weeks????

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Since ESPN 2 obviously thinks Poker is a sport - where does it rank?

Goal
Goal
Quote:

Quote:

Achmed not usually watch NASCAR, but happen to be flipping channels. They talk'n bout one driver that had ACL surgery two weeks ago and was driving that day.
Hmmmm....when was the last time you heard soccer player back on field in two weeks????

The interesting thing about that is the fact that NASCAR will not allow any drivers to be under the influence of any medications while driving. This driver, can't remember his name right off the bat, had to drive without painkillers in his system. Think of all the braking, shifting, etc. Must have been tough.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I once heard of a college whose trainers had a bet on which was the fittest athlete. Trainer one chose tennis and trainer 2 chose basketball. They run a series of tests (do not know what they were) and to their surprise soccer was the top.

Now I do not know how they got the numbers but if you include hand to eye coordination then they should have included foot to eye coordination

As far as I am concerned Hockey for sure is the most demanding, there is no way baseball comes in the top 10 and certainly not ahead of soccer. Considering the need for extra "help" in the power department, I am not so sure of that ranking

M
corner kick
corner kick
M
It takes leather balls to play rugby.

corner kick
corner kick
i read somewhere that cristiano ronaldo can do 3,000 sit ups. idk if is true but that, kind of tells you how good of an athlete a soccer player can be.

i have played sports my whole life, love sports.

bc of my personal experiences doing multiple sports, not all of them at a competitive level.

this is how i rate them.

oh yeah, before anybody gets mad, let me tell you something that is just my personal opinion. i hate espn, to me, cowherd and rome are comedians that never played sports.

for all sports you need this.

1. speed
2. strenght
3. flexibility
4. agility
5. elasticity

my ratings (my opinion) and im not trying to create any type of madness in here.

1. rugby/soccer
2. american football/hockey/volleyball
3. tennis/basketball

im not really into baseball or golf, too slow for my taste.

now, from my experiences in extreme sports.

1. bmx
2. skateboarding
3. snowboarding
4. surfing
5. wakeboarding

i do not think driving cars is a sport.

Club of the century.
goal kick
goal kick
wow just think how much beer I could drink if I did 3000 sit-ups a day??I dont guess youd consider beer drinking a sport,would you??

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

for all sports you need this.

1. speed
2. strenght
3. flexibility
4. agility
5. elasticity

Alma, you just defined Wrestling (that's wrestling with an "e" not an "a").

Wrestling Achmed's sport. After graduating Achmed was still running 5 miles each day and in great shape. Went back a year later to help coach over Christmas break. Wrestled one of the fish Achmed use to beat up on. Achmed get so tired he puked guts out (which says a lot for Achmed).
Put Wrestling at #1

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Agree with Achmed. I wrestled 1 year in high school and it was the hardest sport I ever did. One year was enough. Wrestlers are nuts. Import is a wrestler....exhibit 1.

Also think bball deserves a higher ranking.....certainly higher than American football.

Brace
Brace
TOTALLY agree with Achmed. Wrestling requires it all! [censored] soccer, had four boys and not one wrestles! All they do is run around on a big patch of grass kicking a ball!

world cup
world cup
Daddy,

You scared of Import, or do you just think he's nuts?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Both.......Import is a baaadddd man.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

TOTALLY agree with Achmed. Wrestling requires it all! [censored] soccer, had four boys and not one wrestles! All they do is run around on a big patch of grass kicking a ball!

Achmed 27-1 his senior year, but Achmed also 27-2 ahhhhgggg...so close.
But at least Achmed had no trouble making weight....(ahh! Achmed make joke)

Achmed could not get his boys out either....I second your [censored] soccer.
Darn you Heise and the camel you rode in on :-)
Oh ya and why I'm thinking of it:
It's "i" before "e" unless after "c"......spell your name right coach!

Last edited by SmallSodaMan; 04/27/10 02:39 AM.
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Agree with Achmed. I wrestled 1 year in high school and it was the hardest sport I ever did. One year was enough. Wrestlers are nuts. Import is a wrestler....exhibit 1.

Also think bball deserves a higher ranking.....certainly higher than American football.

i think is been proved that in a professional american football game, they play for 30 minutes and the other 2 hours are commercials and breaks.

a few of my best friends were state champs in high school. the only reason i didnt wrestle it was bc is at the same time with soccer, it would have been nice to wrestle in high school.

i was talking mostly about team sports but you are right, wresling is the second more challenging sport.

1. boxing
2. wresling

i think mma is not a sport, that is just straight fighting and i dont enjoy that, too brutal for my taste.

another one i have tried and is incredibily demanding is climbing....

i have seen some videos on youtube and climbing is def next to boxing and wrestling, prob more dangerous and the physical attributes you need to do professional climbing are simply out of this world.

Club of the century.
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
EY ALMA MERENGUE, WHAT YOU THINK OF MY BOY GONZAALLLOO HIGGGGUAAAINN!??

Stuff White People Like: #589 - Guy Fieri
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
Heck of a player if you ask me. Him, Lionil,and my boy Tevez are gonna do work in the Cup!

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

EY ALMA MERENGUE, WHAT YOU THINK OF MY BOY GONZAALLLOO HIGGGGUAAAINN!??

higuain is a great finisher but still lacking some speed and strenght.

i see more potential in benzema but who knows.

higuain is proving everybody wrong. nobody ever though higuain was going to be a starter on a team like madrid, but he proved everybody wrong and he is only getting better.

right now, i still think kaka when healthy is the most dominant player in the world.

ronaldo has shown was he is capable of doing.

im not sold on messi yet, they have to beat eto tomorrow, then win the cl.

i doubt argentina would win the world cup and everybody would see that messi is nowhere near maradona.

i see messi the same as drogba, great players but not the greatest.

Club of the century.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard